Travis

Re: BRITs Album of 30 Years
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:27 AM Quote
...interest of people? That as an argument? Last stay in London, for 3 days(2009): Travis: 4 times played, in different bars and restaurants!

A poor argument.
Bars and restaurants ? when they have appeared in large 10000 and above arenas?

My point is that they have simply disappeared of the radar in this country and i believe that Twelve Memories and the subsequent 4 year break were responsible for that .

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 26 Jan, 2010 12:30 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

And I don't agree with Toni's point of view either that they went into the wrong direction after/with 12 Memories.
Again The boy with no name was one of my favorites records in the past 20 years and so do think my friends here.

...interest of people? That as an argument? Last stay in London, for 3 days(2009): Travis: 4 times played, in different bars and restaurants!
And if it's going to be a popularity contest, rather than a music "contest". Than freaking Brittney Spears should win. Or Tokyo Hotel. Hate them, but hey; It's what's the crowd wants. And I'm sure, if BrAngelina would bring out a record, humming some childrens songs on it; even that would win.

So just because they haven't been that popular amongst those teenies anymore, cos less records are being sold (not included here is the fact how many records have been downloaded)
And if it's about selling records they wouldn't have to ask for people's choice, but rather have a look into the statistics.

Wooo, Nell, calm down there! I was not Travis bashing, as you and Leticia think. I was stating my agreement with Gladly that 12 Memories didn't work for Travis. And as Gladly also rightly said, it was followed by a 4 year gap, which seemed to seal the deal, and consequently the British music scene lost interest in the band.

There's no denying that the band has a strong following overseas, but its British followers have dropped off. The last two albums weren't properly promoted in the UK (for valid reasons, maybe) but it's part and parcel of the undeniable outcome that Travis simply are not a popular band here anymore.

Despite seeing their presence in the UK practically vanish these past few years, and despite the arrival of some incredible new acts onto the scene, I still love Travis myself, but I've been disappointed by the afformentioned vanishing act. I would be delighted to see them back in the UK. And as previously mentioned, I've voted for them in this Brit poll and hope it reawakens mutual interest between the British fans and the band.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 26 Jan, 2010 4:17 PM Quote
Well, I know you're talking about Britain. But here in Argentina, 12 Memories' singles were played quite a bit. In fact, I only decided to buy Travis' albums in 2004 after hearing the singles off 12 Memories, even though I'd known the band since Sing (that was their big hit here). That's when I became a fan.
For me it's still one of the best Travis albums, if not the best.
But yeah, it's a fact that Travis aren't as popular as they used to be. It's true that the last two albums weren't well promoted. And I don't think the quality of the music has anything to do with it. If you look at the charts you'll notice at first glance that quality is really not what defines an artist's popularity.

Nell
Nell Posted Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:20 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Well, I know you're talking about Britain. But here in Argentina, 12 Memories' singles were played quite a bit. In fact, I only decided to buy Travis' albums in 2004 after hearing the singles off 12 Memories, even though I'd known the band since Sing (that was their big hit here). That's when I became a fan.
But yeah, it's a fact that Travis aren't as popular as they used to be. It's true that the last two albums weren't well promoted. And I don't think the quality of the music has anything to do with it. If you look at the charts you'll notice at first glance that quality is really not what defines an artist's popularity.

well said. for me the same. my sister had the first 2 records, though i never really listened to them. I only knew those songs that were played on radio and mtv, and that were mostly sing, why does it always rain on me and side. i loved them but had no idea about the band behind those songs, and the other songs like: pipe dreams, which is one of the best songs ever, imo.
i first took seriouse interest though when hearing love will come through. mind blowing song.

come to think of it...i should probably check my sisters record collection...

and ur right about the popularity too. p&r was not so good.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 27 Jan, 2010 8:06 PM Quote
Travis' peak in popularity was somewhere between The Man Who and The Invisible Band. Every band has their peak. 12 Memories wasn't as well received commercially (and perhaps critically) as their two previous albums. But also, as a general rule of thumb, artists seem to have the most scope in generating hype when they first appear on the music scene - that is to say, when they are first widely noticed by the general public, not necessarily when they first form. And as time goes on (with Travis having their 4 year break and that), it gets pretty hard to kick-start that hype machine up again. It isn't so much that their new albums are worse, but that they simply aren't by a 'new' band anymore.

Although, personally, I do like the first three albums the best. ;P

jambut
jambut Posted Mon 01 Feb, 2010 8:22 PM Quote

I think 12 memories really got the South American fans involved. I know people who live in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil etc who didn't really know Travis untill about 2005 really. Maybe there's a cultural reason for that but I really don't know being British and all.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 02 Feb, 2010 10:43 PM Quote
jambut wrote:

I think 12 memories really got the South American fans involved. I know people who live in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil etc who didn't really know Travis untill about 2005 really. Maybe there's a cultural reason for that but I really don't know being British and all.

Really? That's cool, haha. I don't know about other South American countries or Mexico, but in Argentina they became really famous with TIB. Travis songs and videos were everywhere. Most of the Argentinian boardies I know became fans around that time, some of them when The Man Who came out. I didn't think it was that common to become a fan with 12 Memories.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:36 AM Quote
I didn't think it was that common to become a fan with 12 Memories.

I became a fan with '12 Memories'. Actually, that was the first Travis record I bought, and it's my favourite Travis album.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2010 6:43 AM Quote
My story is a little funny and interesting. I knew the band with Driftwood, then with WDIAROM this last was very known here in Mexico. It used to be a Top 10 of videos, each day, and i remember watching WDIAROM and i believe before WDIAROM i see driftwood there, but don't remember if it was on the top 10 or just as random. Both songs i liked it so much, and caught my atention. But at that time i was trapped in some pop artist hahaha, my dark teenager time haha. So, at that time my english was so much more awful than now. So, i didn't understood not a single part of the lyrics. And so, driftwood and WDIARM was like "i love that song! but who sings it?" Then i saw sing, side. I loved it too. But it was strange, i didn't realized it was the same Band, i don't know why.
Then it passed some time, and i spent some thoughts about "what was that song about the rain?" i started looking for it. and didn't found anything. I even asked some people about "hey, do you remember a video of a song about the rain (lol) with the floating house on the lake?" but no one knew it.
Then, not so much time after, i caught on MTV like 3 videos of Travis. First "Why does it always rain on me?" then "Driftwood, and after "Side" and i loved them. It really impressed me and i say "WTF?! is the same band?! amazing!" so at that time i started following Travis, a time after it was released "Beautiful Occupation" and then Became my favourite Band. And now here i am haha

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Tue 16 Feb, 2010 8:47 PM Quote
Oasis

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:08 PM Quote
god noel gallagher is a cunt

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:33 PM Quote
Well I was just pleased to see the nomination for Travis ; that is one incredible achievement. The best and up there with the best .

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 17 Feb, 2010 9:07 AM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:
Oasis

Worthy winners until he chucked his trophy at the audience. I wouldn't mind, but it's not even a Brit committee award, which is presumably what he was pissed off at. His prize was as voted for by fans, as we well know here, and he basically snubbed all his loyal supporters with his dismissive behaviour. Knob indeed.....

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:36 AM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:
Oasis

???

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:04 PM Quote
So it's a boring old Wednesday morning.....until Tonie gets herself on the radio taking part in a phone in about last night's awards! :) Mainly about Liam's "rock and roll" gesture. But I managed a mention for Travis. And hopefully sounded reasonably intelligent in the process!

Don't suppose anyone heard me?????

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:16 PM