Travis

Re: Travisonline Reading Club
catriona
catriona Posted Sun 15 Jan, 2012 9:21 PM Quote
Hey, I've been a dedicated Travis fan since the Good Feeling days and I've just had my first novel published. It's all about music and how music can bring people, places and moments in time back to life. It may interest you guys, especially as the music of Travis has been a huge influence on me and the boys get a pop culture reference (or two!) in my book.
Anyhow, if you're interested have a look here. There's a lego trailer and you can order it if you think it looks worth reading:
http://www.luath.co.uk/trackman.html?___store=default
Thanks for your support!

Catriona

catriona
catriona Posted Sun 15 Jan, 2012 9:22 PM Quote
Hey, I've been a dedicated Travis fan since the Good Feeling days and I've just had my first novel published. It's all about music and how music can bring people, places and moments in time back to life. It may interest you guys, especially as the music of Travis has been a huge influence on me and the boys get a pop culture reference (or two!) in my book.
Anyhow, if you're interested have a look here. There's a lego trailer and you can order it if you think it looks worth reading:
http://www.luath.co.uk/trackman.html?___store=default
Thanks for your support!

Catriona

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:48 PM Quote
started reading I AM LEGEND ....from 1954 , several movies made from , The Omega man , the last man on earth . Great read so far

Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 27 Jan, 2012 4:18 PM Quote

Reading Brendan Sheerin's autobiography ... what a lovely bloke.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 30 Jan, 2012 10:33 PM Quote
Ok wee bit of Non Fiction for you

The Lost Art of Listening - Michael P. Nichols

Seriously, good read! Listening is important.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 08 Feb, 2012 1:18 PM Quote
The girl with the dragon tatttoo .....I'm gonna say the US movie did a better job since they edited out a bit that didn't need to be there . Kinda like Steven King in the way he doesn't end well ...Too much trying to tie up all the knots

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 09 Feb, 2012 3:29 PM Quote
Picked up the latest Christopher Brookmyre "Here the Bodies are Buried" & Carl Hiaasen "Downhill Lie" yesterday, haven't read them yet but I'll let you know...

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 22 Mar, 2012 9:38 PM Quote
http://robertarood.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/captureofbreda.jpg

just started this

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 25 Mar, 2012 7:10 PM Quote
Has anyone read Hunger Games? Is it good good? Or is it like Twilight, weirdly addicting yet awful and hyped to enormous proportions by the movie? I'm intrigued but not sure if I should bother.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2012 5:33 PM Quote
Started Jo Nesbo's - The Redeemer. It's a bit slow and jumps around a fair bit but it's no bad so far.

Dubz

eta: it's translated from the original Norwegian and it shows in some places.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 17 Jul, 2012 9:24 PM Quote

I haven't got into anything recently so I'm re-reading Mark Billingham - Death Message

I wish David Morrissey hadn't been used for the TV version, I've always found him so wooden.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:17 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Started Jo Nesbo's - The Redeemer. It's a bit slow and jumps around a fair bit but it's no bad so far.

Dubz

eta: it's translated from the original Norwegian and it shows in some places.

Finished it, Not bad in the end, few twisty turnie twists.

I am thick as pigshit tho', I thought this was the first of the series turns out the REDbreast is the first and the REDeemer is the 4th so I picked up the wrong feckin' book. Now I have to go back and read the REDbreast.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2012 3:07 PM Quote
I've been reading the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Fascinating stuff. He tends to be a bit boastful (which he knew), but the dude had a lot to boast about. He also made a lot of mistakes, mostly due to youth and/or a naive trust of people who took advantage of him, and he freely admitted several of the biggies.

I'm not a big reader of biographies and this is the first autobiography I've ever read. It's so interesting to get a first-hand account of day to day goings on in colonial life in the 1700's. People were able to get ahead easier, it seems. As long as you could prove yourself, it wasn't important how much schooling you had. People were also more trusting of each other.

As for the man himself, he was never idle. He was constantly, from the age of 12 or so, striving to improve his own life and the lives of others. He was very methodical in how he went about doing things. He even made a list of faults he wished to extinguish and devised a 13 week plan to do this. He was a vegetarian for much of his life when it certainly wasn't popular. He made a list of 40 recipes and gave it to the person who did the cooking at his rooming house. I can't believe all the organizations he started: a free library, a hospital, a fire department, plus literary organizations. He patented improvements on a stove and improved the design of street lights and devised a routine for keeping streets clean, taught himself 3 languages and mathematics...and I'm only a little over half-way through the book!

He didn't sleep much. He studied daily. His mind was always working, it seems. I guess you can get a lot accomplished without distractions of TV and computer!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 31 Dec, 2013 1:15 PM Quote
Thought I'd bump this thread.

Anyone read anything "standout" good lately? I have a huge "to read" pile at home but these lists never fail to make me happy.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 31 Dec, 2013 1:33 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
Thought I'd bump this thread.

Anyone read anything "standout" good lately? I have a huge "to read" pile at home but these lists never fail to make me happy.

Yes!
"Wonder" by R.J. Palacio
First I didn't want to read it (I often react that way when a book is on display *everywhere*). Now I'm glad I did - it's a beautiful story.
Right now I'm reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zuzak.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:40 PM