Travis

Re: My first trip to IKEA
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 3:36 PM Quote
We don't have Ikea in Argentina. I find it weird that you can eat and buy furniture in the same place :oP.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 4:59 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
We don't have Ikea in Argentina. I find it weird that you can eat and buy furniture in the same place :oP.

do you also find it weird that you can drink coffee and eat cake and sandwiches at bookstores? ;)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 5:08 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

do you also find it weird that you can drink coffee and eat cake and sandwiches at bookstores? ;)

Nop, we've got that here as well and I think it's very cool :oP.

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 5:11 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

And what exactly are THEY???:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0099772_PE242061_S4.JPG

These things are simply "dust collectors"

Kayte, the bookshelves I bought ( the range called Billy ) were really simply to build and I'm not the most manually minded person.

Highlight of my trip is also the food especially the chocolate brownies and really cheap hotdogs.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 6:25 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Unless you are a student , you have no business buying anything in ikea.

So, the general impression I am getting now is that it is cheap, crappy furniture wrapped up in a pretty Swedish package and served with a side of delicious meatballs and brownies. We Americans are lured by such things.

So, I won't buy a sofa there, but a bookshelf for the kids should be fine.

It is so nice to get a world view sometimes. But those unslammable kitchen drawers, you can't tell me that's not cool. :D

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 7:02 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

So, the general impression I am getting now is that it is cheap, crappy furniture wrapped up in a pretty Swedish package and served with a side of delicious meatballs and brownies. We Americans are lured by such things.

It is so nice to get a world view sometimes. But those unslammable kitchen drawers, you can't tell me that's not cool. :D

It isnt the HIGHEST quality furniture, but it isnt bad. Ive never had anything break. I dont have a lot of big stuff from there, mostly small drawers and chairs and accessories, but I know plently of people with couches and things and Ive never heard of any of it breaking.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 7:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It isnt the HIGHEST quality furniture, but it isnt bad. Ive never had anything break. I dont have a lot of big stuff from there, mostly small drawers and chairs and accessories, but I know plently of people with couches and things and Ive never heard of any of it breaking.

My mum bought her wardrobe ("PAX") there and it's GREAT! The drawers don't slam, neither do the doors, and all her things fit in. It's amazing, considering the low price (compared to other German furniture-stores).

I also bought my bed plus my mattress there (it was tested by a German product-test-magazine) and I know several other people who are very happy with their Ikea-beds.
And I used to own one white Billy. I loved my Billy. It followed me around for 5 years, I moved appartments twice, and it never broke. Then I sold it, and the girl who bought it was so happy she didn't have to go to Ikea to get it ;D I also owned (and sold) a (wooden!) table with four chairs (I bought the set for 89€! Ikea is just amazing...).

Edel
Edel Posted Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:35 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Thought you might like this commercial. Ikea kitchen 'tested' by a teenage girl. Parents say "We think you're too young to go to Sunny Beach." And she reacts, total teenage drama queen as they are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1taQmglzw

Ikeas kitchens were the 'best in test' winner here. Proved to be better than lots of the more expensive kitchens. I still hate Ikea but credit due n all that

Moray
Moray Posted Sat 07 Nov, 2009 12:07 PM Quote
I convinced my friend Gary to buy a pillow from IKEA. It looked like it came in a vacuum packed bag. You know those ones you see on the shopping channel where the host gets a hoover on it in reverse and sucks all the air out? So I told Gary thats what they'd done, and when he got it home, it'd fluff right up. It did not.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 07 Nov, 2009 1:11 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
I convinced my friend Gary to buy a pillow from IKEA. It looked like it came in a vacuum packed bag. You know those ones you see on the shopping channel where the host gets a hoover on it in reverse and sucks all the air out? So I told Gary thats what they'd done, and when he got it home, it'd fluff right up. It did not.

bahahahaha.
Ive had ikea pillows that were fine, but I dont remember them being vacuum packed!
I rememeber being a young lass of 18 years, about to move away to university and my wee mother and I going to Ikea to buy bedding. It is temperature rated. I of course got the cold stuff.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:11 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I'm shocked! It's like shopping in hell, but you endure it because it's so cheap.

While I agree with the hell description I do not agree with enduring it. I never willingly go into Walmart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

So, they just upgraded the Wal-Mart near here to a Super Wal-Mart. I tried very hard to find something I wanted that they did not have. But they had the molasses. They had fresh Michigan apples. They had the weird Macaroni and Cheese my kids like (Annie's), and they even had the Gold Metal organic, unbleached flour that I haven't been able to find anywhere for over 2 years. They had it. I almost cried. For some reason it makes THE BEST bread.

I keep looking for reasons not to shop there and I keep failing. For what it's worth, I was modestly and properly dressed so as to ensure I will not be on that web site.

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 9:22 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
But they had the molasses.

I got a jar of "Grandma's molasses (original)" for my birthday (amongst other weird things), and have no idea what to do with it. Apparently (at least according to my friend) I used to have a recipe that required molasses (that's why my friend put them in my bday basket), but I can't find it and I think I've never had one in the first place. Help?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 16 Nov, 2009 10:32 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I got a jar of "Grandma's molasses (original)" for my birthday (amongst other weird things), and have no idea what to do with it. Apparently (at least according to my friend) I used to have a recipe that required molasses (that's why my friend put them in my bday basket), but I can't find it and I think I've never had one in the first place. Help?

I can help you. Tomorrow I will share with you my grandmother's molasses cookie recipe. It is wonderful and spicy and perfect for Christmas. Depending on how you measure over there, we may have to work on conversions. I hope you are up to the challenge.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 9:35 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I can help you. Tomorrow I will share with you my grandmother's molasses cookie recipe. It is wonderful and spicy and perfect for Christmas. Depending on how you measure over there, we may have to work on conversions. I hope you are up to the challenge.
#

yes! yes, I am! :D Thanks a million!!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 17 Nov, 2009 1:10 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Did he think it would suck up air from the area around it?

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:58 PM