Travis

Re: BNP (British National Party) on Newsnight
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 1:34 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Surely any card carrying BNP supporter would be happy to to shout out loud and proud, without any fear of backlash?!?!
I wasn't talking about the card carriers but rather the People who do not agree with the BNP on everything but may single out issues such as the education issue which has already arose in this thread, people may be afraid to say that they agree with the part about their own History being given priority for fear of being labelled as a big nasty racist even though they don't agree with the "pandering to other cultures" part

You've sussed me out as one of those typical liberal, bleeding heart live and let live types. Sorry, can't help it. And we'll have to agree that we're different from that point of view, if that's ok with you? (see, softly spoken even there!!!) Absolutely not, I said it was more fashionable not that I thought you were, sorry for the confusion. In fact I've been very careful not to label you within this discussion, as I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it. you have been very carefully stating what you believe without tell me what to believe and as such I respect that

Funnily enough, and I'm sure you noticed, the only pro BNP audience member on QT was a posh 60-something male in a yellow golfing sweater. Not quite your sun reading tattooed cabbie. True I ma guilty of stereo-typing here but as I was once told in relation to the old firm, there are no young bigots without old bigots to teach them bigotry. Also all you have to do is look at Donald Fnlay QC, he's a perfect example of how being academically clever does not guarantee understanding, Slightly drifting from the point but how can Finlay honestly say he's objective as a QC when he holds his own bigotted beliefs??

But I get the stereotype you're painting. I stand by my conviction that that particular person is mainly concerned with the governments apparent lack of control on the immigration issue, so they vote for the BNP who is so clearly the opposite. Agreed, that the immigration policy needs to be tightened up but there has to be some sort of a middle ground which would suit the majority

I think that the Conservative speaker on QT will have made a few friends when she spoke so well on that subject.

My problem, amongst many, with the BNP as far as this is concerned, is that they've pushed the country's worry buttons to win votes - they play on Labour's weaknesses, rather than their own dubious strengths. Hope that makes sense. Again I agree, actually living in Ireland I get to see Enda Kenny constantly moan about the mess Brian Cowen is making of running the country without alluding to how he would change it, Enda just stands and rants that they're all a bunch of bastards (obviously I'm paraphrasing). I think all parties and not just the BNP are guilty of this, it's a lot easier to see with them, perhaps because they are so right wing or perhaps because they are only a small party they don't have the spin doctors to soften it.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 2:14 PM Quote
Quote fail!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 2:31 PM Quote
That better ??

btw. I still don't know the correct term, that you alluded to in my mistaken use earlier.

Dee has suggested "mixed race" but that doesn't really cover it if you are purely of one race ? (like African for example)

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 2:37 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Quote fail!

Only a bit. I got what Dubz is saying here. Moray, you've gone quiet. You started a great thread, great debate, but you've stopped contributing!

I also see from where I'm sitting that Dubz and I have agreed on some points and agreed to disagree on others.

Dubz is right, I was stating my views as carefully as I can, partly because I want to see both sides of the argument, but also because I see no reason why any person, of whatever persuasion, shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets without fear.

Also, Dubz, I wasn't accusing you of calling me a bleeding heart liberal, I was sending myself up, about how I think I come across in your eyes. It was not a criticism of you.

Largely I guess, because I'm of an ethnic minority myself, I maintain that I really struggle to see any validity at all in the BNP, and only hope that their success so far goes no further. How can it, I wonder, when their success is based on hatred and vote whoring off the main political parties' failures? (see previous post, I don't want to risk being repetitive).

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 2:46 PM Quote
Italics fail!

Tonie, I grew tired of replying

dubs, if it seems like it's a term that's sensitive, then it should be fine to use. If you use a term that feels like it has negative connotations, based on historical use, then it's probably not ok to use. 'coloureds' most definitely falls into the latter category.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 3:02 PM Quote
That better, this time ?

Agree with you that the term I used was deffo not suitable, I used it without thinking and for that I apologize, however I am growing increasing frustrated these days by people constantly "moving the goalposts" as to what is acceptable and what is not. I seem to remember growing up in the 80's where you were not allowed to call someone "black" the prefered term at the time had become "coloured" it was at the time seen as a less derogatory term, for example for a brief period in the 90's the "N" word became acceptable again, admittedly only for use by "African Americans" but again it just kinda confuses the feck out of me these days and in company I get hugely embarrassed by situations where I mention... somebody at work for example. "you know Lauri", "Yes you do, the girl on the third floor", "The ?????? girl". I'm sure no one has a problem with saying "you know, Steve the Scots guy".

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 4:36 PM Quote
A little light relief for a minute of your lives. This is purely for fun, whichever side of the debate you take....

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=_QAvkFS_cgk

Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 28 Oct, 2009 5:17 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Kristy: you said you agreed with the BNP policy on immigration, using your friend's mum as the reason. Does your friend know how you feel?

Also to Kristy, you said you related to some of the BNP's policies. What are their policies on Immigration, as you understand them (cos I don't!!!)and which others do you subscribe to, out of interest?

Kristy, one more question, you didn't feel it relevant to comment on the Holocaust denial, because it wasn't part of your reason for posting. But I'd be interested to learn your take on it please.

She feels the same way and is often embarrassed by her mother. Why?

Okay, here's the ones I agree with:
- Free the police and courts from the politically correct straitjacket which is stopping them from doing their jobs properly.
- Make prisons more austere and make criminals serve their full sentences. Offenders will be made to understand that they are being punished and not rewarded with a state-subsidised holiday for their crimes.
- Use electronically tagged “chain gangs” to provide labour for projects such as coastal defences.
- Make police concentrate on real criminals and serve the public, not the government’s political aspirations.
- The reversal of the programme to close special needs schools which penalises the most vulnerable.
- The improvement of school food as proper meals have been shown to be linked to behaviour and achievement.
- Replace 100,000 NHS bureaucrats with doctors, nurses and dentists.
- Bring hospital cleaning back in-house and make high cleanliness a top priority.
- Train and pay to retain British doctors, nurses and dentists instead of looting the Third World of staff who are desperately needed in their home countries.
- Ensure that the billions being spent on the utterly bogus asylum seeker and immigration swindles is redeployed to alleviate the appalling conditions under which many of Britain’s old people are forced to live.

I guess you could say I like the 'common-sense' policies.

I don't believe that I know enough about the holocaust or the debate surrounding it to be able to comment, and that's the reason for avoiding the issue.

*edit*Tonie, you asked for my understanding on immigration policies, I don't have time to answer and I've just cut and pasted from their site on the others I agree with ... sorry ...

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] All Times BST Current Time 1:18 AM