Travis

Re: Living with J Smith
frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 8:30 PM Quote
alanistradi wrote:

Ode is not my favourite album but that doesn't mean I don't love it.

Ana_Smith wrote:
it was more of a track by track discovery... connecting with the lyrics

agree. step by step

My exact thoughts.One year on,my view on Ode has changed quite a bit.I'm beginning to love certain tracks much more from when I first heard them.I didn't use to fancy Get Up,Friends,Song To Self that much but after countless times of tuning in I find those track extremely relevant..esp strengthens the whole J.Smith character story plot.Broken Mirror has grown on me too.

Ode def isn't my fave too.But I think it is a great album nonetheless on a different kind of level.Tracks like Long Way Down and BYWY is amazing in fact as amazing as massive Travis hits like AIWTDIR and WTRY..thou in a less obvious sense.I know some of u might disagree.But I think BYWY is awesome.In fact it was the song I loved the most upon hearing Ode for the first time next to Last Words.

All that having said,i think tracks in this album has sounds and material that plays AWESOME LIVE.

Therefore I can assuringly say I love Ode now and I believe my love for it will continue to grow!

But I still can't wait for their new album;D

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 05 Oct, 2009 7:15 PM Quote
I haven't listened to the album in the last few months, but I still think "Quite Free" is an amazing song.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:49 PM Quote
Ok now I'm finally back home and have a few minutes. This is just my impression of it ok, so I don't wanna offend anyone.

First impression of the album was: It was rockier, kinda colder and drier (compared to champagne, while TBWNN was more a softer album). But that's not actually bad. I also noticed the imense energy and the strong melodies.

About the songs (music, not lyrics - the lyrics are just great)

Chinese Blues:
I had to listen to it a few times to finally fall in love with it. As a piano player it was the piano accompaniment which attrackted my attention first. Same with solo - brilliant!
Secondly the chorus. The 3 melodies combined, the G turning into a Gm really caught me. I loooooooove the chorus.

I love how the chords change at the final verse - while Fran kinda sings the same melody. Which gives a total new tension!
The bass line is cool as well - ass he doesn't play just the tonics but makes there a little bridge.
The guitar plays a new melody over Frans voice in the chorus - it's the third melody - brilliant!

J.Smith

Here it's the rhythm of the song that really pleased me :)
They also put in several "fermate"s which increases the tension even more.
The choire of the angels are just heavenly (hehe).

Something Anything

Didn't like it first. Not that much anyway. But it's a really good dance song, we found out at our holidays :). Perfect to let off steam. Love the chorus - with the lead guitar in it - it's like someone's calling from the backround

Long way down

Now that's the first song I fell in love with.
It's cheecky, and tickeling and sad and funny and all that at the same time. The rhythm says: Now here I am: deal with it! The verses are provoking! All this energy! It's like: Catch me - if you can! But you can't anyway!
The chorusi is simply great: I love the down-melody that Andy plays in there!
Very suprising is the end though: The change from a 4/4 into a 3/4 and a softer guitar sound....
Love it!

Broken Mirror

I loooooooooove that "special effect" at the beginning! The intro alltogether is quite good!
I needed a lot of time to get into the verses first. Really seemed weird, kinda off the planet.
My absolutely favorite part of the whole song is the instrumental part until the end!
I loooooooooove the work of the guitar and the bass there!
The guitar plays the same riff over and over while the chords change - which totally changes the tension! BRILLIANT!

Last Words

Ahhhh not my fav. song. Don't like the rythm of tha banjo in this one. But I like the chorus with the 2 voices in it.
:)

Quite Free

Hahahahah reminded me of "This love" :) But I like this song much more (of course they're 2 total diff. songs - I just like this one more) Anyway.
Here I actually like the verses more than the chorus. Especially the second one with the second voice in it.
But it's not really my fav. either.

Get Up

Ahhh I first didn't like this song at all! I thought it should be a B-side and rather have Tail of the Tiger or Ballad of J.Smith on it or Sarah as a matter of fact!
This song actually reminds me of a Amerindians dance :D
hehe. But whenever I hear it I love to sing with it. Don't like it but can't help singing it hahaha...
It's kinida tickeling. Especially that whispering part. It's a fun song for me. Like "No cigars" or that monkey song :)

Friends

I like it now, didn't like it at first. Was too easy going for me. Don't like the bridge part. Like the verses. Love the chorus :).
Love the chorus cos Fran kinda makes a pause singing - whilst Andy plays the chords upwards - which sounds great. Along with the bass who helps with the rhythm as with the melody.
Ahhh and the chorus's got 2 voices as well. Love that. See the pattern here?

Song to Self

Love the extended version, although the recordings or the mixing is much better on the album version. Especially the beginning.

I loooooove the beginning. So quiet, so sad and then there it goes! Love the violin in the chorus.
And the pauses in the verses("picturing me"), makes it feel like he's actually singing to himself, making a note to himself - not expecting anyone else ever to listen to it. Perfect.
This song isn't dry at all.(Ok I didn't mean "dry" in a bad way -I like dry champagne - but there's also the other bottle which I don't wanna miss - and no I'm not an alcoholic)
Love Frans voice in this one and the melody he's singing!

Before you were young:

The laughter at the beginning and the sudden quietness already makes it kinda spooky. Then there comes the grand Steinway piano - with this beautiful melody.
The piano has a bit of adry touch - which is totally great here and normal for a Steinway - since it's harder than a yamaha or a Bösendorfer for example (kinda like Fender compared to a Gibson).
Anyway: Love it in here! Very very simple but STRONG!
Ah yeah and it deffenitely has the "cry"-factor.I dragged my sister to the concert and she cried her eyes out.

There's absolutely nothing I don't love in this song. Love the mixing - sounds like Fran was in a big hall in this song - all alone.
And the tam tam and the lead guitar gives this song the power - while the piano and the accoustic guitar gives it its tenderness!
Perfect compromise!

So all in all: I love the album.

12 Memories, TBWNN and Ode are currently my fav. albums and due to the musical we're all listening to Ode at least 2 times a day - (for me more :) )

Well that's about it. Sorry for the long write - I guess not all of you are really interested in that stuff but you can blame Ben, he's the one who asked :P

Shall I go on about the b-sides?
Cos they really get me going......

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Mon 05 Oct, 2009 11:28 PM Quote
Interesting review of Ode, Nora ;) (I've also noticed that resemblance between Quite Free and This love)

For me, I like more the album now than a year ago, maybe the concert had an influence, also Song to Self reminds me to the video competition... lots of good memories associated to this album :')
Leaving aside the analysis of each song, Ode means so much to me, because it's been the first Travis' release I've lived (I mean, like a fan). Maybe it doesn't seem so important, but I really enjoyed all the excitement before and after we could hear the new songs.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 06 Oct, 2009 9:21 PM Quote
Haha, Nora! :P Love your enthusiasm. :) Totally agree with what you say about Broken Mirror. Agree less on other things, like Last Words. Love that song. I still don't like Get Up. In fact, without being too negative, i probably dislike it more now than i used to. Haha, you can go on about the b-sides if you wish Nora. ;)

Awww, Irene, i agree. It was lovely all the excitement before the album came out. It wasn't like that for previous albums. I don't know why it happened but there was such a lot of hype surrounding Ode. Maybe all the studio diaries/blogs by the band, and the fact that they'd been playing the songs live all throughout the summer festivals.

Monica wrote:
still think "Quite Free" is an amazing song.

Yay! :) It is amazing! Definitely my favourite on the album.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 8:07 AM Quote

I have to confess that J. Smith hasn't been much in my life recently so maybe it's time I invite him in again!

He hasn't gone straight to my heart as TMW did, the man went bang in the middle of it and stirred things up on a level that I've never experienced before and I'm not sure if anything ever again will.

but thanks for the reminder Ben, I think I'm gonna give Mr. Smith another chance :)

Sina:)

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:27 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I still don't like Get Up. In fact, without being too negative, i probably dislike it more now than i used to.

That's not too negative at all Ben . . . you are evil! lol
Good q tho.
My view on Ode hasn't changed since first listen. I still love Get Up and Last Words and BYWY as my top 3. I think Ode will be like 12M--underrated at the time of release but will be appreciated more down the line. ALL the tracks are strong here. I do prefer the acoustic take on Friends but like both versions. I love the whole concept thing and the way it was recorded live. I hope they'll do that again in the future.

closergms1968
closergms1968 Posted Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:28 PM Quote
Quite simply....Love it now more then ever.
I think its even better than than we think it is...? if thats possible.
Love every song, with only Friends (which i still like) and BYWY becoming my least favourites.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 8:03 AM