Travis

Glasses Help
TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 4:14 PM Quote
Hey everyone, I have had glasses now for 2 years, I found out I was short sighted and I needed them just before I started uni two years ago, now I'm soon to be starting third year.

The problem is I have only worn them when I desperately need to, which has only been in lectures. Now I've noticed I am starting to feel light headed, tired and have headaches quite often and think it might be because I have not been wearing my glasses and straining my eyes too much now.

The reason I don't wear my glasses is because I just can't get used to it. I don't think glasses suit me, my clothes as I just wear jeans and t shirts, my short hair and the fact that I always seem to be wearing a beanie hat.

I know about the nerdy/geeky stereotype but I'm not too bothered about that as I've never thought people with glasses were geeky or nerdy. I have heard that some girls find men who wear glasses attractive as they have a sense of vulnerability about them but it isn't this that worries me. It is just the fact that I don't think my clothes, hair or anything aout me suits glasses but I know I have to start wearing them as I don't fancy contact lenses or laser eye surgery. One more factor which isn't so big is the way everyone around me will take the change of me wearing glasses all of the time, some of my family and friends wear glasses but I know if I start wearing them all of the time people will notice.

I was wondering if anyone here has been through the same experience and how they sorted it out. Also if anyone could help me out with how to look good wearing beanie hats, tshirts, jeans and glasses as I don't want to change the way I dress or who I am just to start wearing glasses.

Sorry this has been such a long first post but any help would be appreciated! =]

Re: Glasses Help
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 4:32 PM Quote
You really are hung up on this aren't you :)

Seriously , doesnt matter what other people think. If you have to wear them all the time then thats just what you have to do.
Find a good opticians with plenty of different options and i am sure you will find glasses that suit you.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:07 PM Quote
Wow you are stressed about this. If you are so anti-glasses you really should consider trying out contacts. I love mine and am not aware of them at all. However I also have a super fashionable pair of glasses that look great. (I prefer contacts because of the whole peripheral vision thing) But if I couldn't wear contacts for some reason I would have no issue with my glasses as they are very hip.

But if you are dead set against contacts the good news is there are so many options out there that are in no way geeky. Have you seen postings on here from Moray? He is an example of someone who has really really cool glasses. A good pair of glasses can enhance your sense of style, not take away from them.

And ultimately I agree with Gladly - it so doesn't matter what other people think.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:12 PM Quote
P.S. As Gladly said if you go to a good shop with tons of options you should be able to find one that goes along with your sense of style.

Also since you seem convinced that glasses don't suit you maybe bring a friend along and also listen to the sales persons' advice. When I was picking out my last pair I knew the pair I was bought was the right pair because the two people helping me both started nodding vigorously and saying "yes yes those are the ones." I was actually leaning towards another pair that weren't such a bold choice but decided to listen to their wisdom. I'm so glad I did because once I got used to how they look I knew they were right.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:26 PM Quote
Well, you could get glasses that stand out on purpose. Buddy Holly (guy who sang Peggy Sue) didn't think glasses fit the rock 'n' roll image, so he first tried going without. http://thm-a03.yimg.com/image/e3eb75a62a2ead00 He had too much trouble, he really needed his glasses.

So he put his regular glasses back on. They were large by our standards, but still rather normal looking.

Then he got some advice. If you gotta wear glasses, WEAR GLASSES! He got those large, black glasses and the rest is history. http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/fb49e98997239c8c

Personally, I gave up trying to squint my way through life at age 14 and got contacts. They're great! If I had the money, I'd get the laser surgery, but contacts are fine. You can't even tell you have them in. Once you get used to deailing with them, you can pop 'em in and out in no time. It's really not a big deal.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 6:11 PM Quote
I agree with everyone else here. And I don't think glasses don't match jeans, t shirts and beanie hats, it just depends on which glasses you're wearing.

I'd take Anne's advice and go with a friend or someone you know... Because if sales people where you are are anything like argentinian sales people, then you could be trying the most hideous glasses in the world and they will say you look good just to convince you to buy them :oP.

mili
mili Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
A friend of my daughter's had her first glasses when she was about 11, and was SO worried that nobody would be her friend again, people would laugh etc, but she got really light, nice glasses that suited her, and nobody changed their attitude towards her.
I got my current computer/work/driving/tv glasses 12 years ago. The model (oval metal frame) succeeded so well, that I've got new lenses set in the frames. I think the most important thing in choosing the frame is that they suit your face, regardless the fashion (mine were totally out for some time but I didn't care). As stated earlier, take a reliable, honest friend with you and go to quality opticians with plenty of choice and helpful sales assistants.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll find good frames to suit your style and face!

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2009 7:06 PM Quote
Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually have two pairs of glasses, the average, normal looking ones with the thin metal frame and I have a pair I got on holiday in Thailand, with a bigger frame which look darkish purple in some light and black in others.

Tutrtleneck, I liked the story about Buddy Holly with the if you have to wear glasses, WEAR GLASSES lol. And I decided to have a look around for my Thailand glasses, I found them and they are much easier to wear than the other ones, so I'm going to try wearing them. I still feel quite uneasy about it but I guess everyone feels that way when they first start to wear glasses, I'm also a little worried about what everyone will think when I start wearing them so I was thinking I'd bring them to the pub with me and just show them to everyone first and then begin wearing them and that'll be it then, they'll get used to it. And if it doesn't work out I'll just leave them in my pocket for easy access when I need them, they aren't brittle so they hopefully wouldn't break.

Anywhoo thanks for all of the advice everyone!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:58 AM Quote
Damnit I thought this was gonna be a thread about drinking, like Pint Glasses, Shot Glasses etc...

I got glasses for work a couple of years ago, I don't wear them often enough as I can't get used to them and they hurt behind my ears after a while. The only comments I have recieved are "I never knew you wore glasses"-indifferent. "They make you look intelligent/smart"-positive, and "you should have gone to specsavers"- once I've explained how much they fucking cost me!! btw Vision Express are a bunch of ripping of wankers with absolutely no manners or people skills. Stop fucking showing me Armani frames I've a fucking voucher here from the Health Board you think I can afford fucking Armani. That said I do like the Police ones I got.

i.e. Stop worrying your friends & family will not react to you any differently and if they do, they are not your friends and you're better off without the cheeky fuckers.

Dubz

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:24 PM Quote
Hi Nick! There are some cool glasses. I'm sure you'll find some soon and get used to them ;)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:00 PM