Travis

Los Angeles
Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 11:16 PM Quote
Ok...bit of a random question but...just wondering if anybody from the UK has driven in Los Angeles or america generally?

I'm going on holiday with a few friends there soonish and was thinking of driving from LA to Vegas but...ive never driven abroad or in america. Does anybody know if this is likely to be difficult??

Or if anybody from the States has any advice for driving there or whats its actually like to drive from LA to Vegas it would be really appreciated.

p.s. also any advice on places to go and see or stay would also be good. :)

Re: Los Angeles
hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 14 May, 2009 3:43 AM Quote
I think the drive is mostly desert from LA to Vegas. I've never driven it but I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Also, I've been to Vegas a couple of times and one of my favorite areas is off the strip at the Freemont Tunnel. At night they do these really cool lights shows on the tunnel ceiling. Thats the area we usually stay at. To eat I always go to The Hard Rock. Don't know if any of this helps but I hope you have a fun time.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 14 May, 2009 3:53 AM Quote
drive up hwy 1 and see the coast , plan on doing it in 2 days

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 14 May, 2009 1:58 PM Quote
Before attempting to drive in LA, I'd make sure you are comfortable with driving on the right side of the road. Your brain has to make that switcheroo. Once you get on the highway you'd be fine, but LA gets congested and might be difficult driving around town.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Thu 14 May, 2009 10:53 PM Quote
I went to the US and specifically LA in January. I didn't find the driving particularly challenging.....it was more the amount of traffic that was around and about....it's a bit boggling for a non LA resident!!! I kept failing to give myself enough time to get anywhere and my friend kept getting a little pissed off with me.

Anyway, I am sure you will be fine with the driving.

elfy
elfy Posted Fri 15 May, 2009 3:49 PM Quote
My missus is from California (we actually met on here) and I've been over there a few times. The drive from LA to Vegas is easy, desert road pretty much the whole way. When we were driving back from Vegas Jen was so tired she was thinking about letting me take over driving - and I don't even drive. So if she was that confident that I could do it then I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Also, as ricv64 said, if you have the time drive up the coast road to San Francisco, the scenery is awesome.

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Mon 18 May, 2009 8:22 PM Quote
Cool.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm still undecided about driving at the moment and i've also noticed that Southwest Airlines seem to have a summer special on flights at the moment so im considering just flying there.

I have however just had my week made by finding out that Tom Jones is performing in vegas when im there! come on! :)

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 18 May, 2009 10:03 PM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:
Ok...bit of a random question but...just wondering if anybody from the UK has driven in Los Angeles or america generally?

I'm going on holiday with a few friends there soonish and was thinking of driving from LA to Vegas but...ive never driven abroad or in america. Does anybody know if this is likely to be difficult??

Or if anybody from the States has any advice for driving there or whats its actually like to drive from LA to Vegas it would be really appreciated.

p.s. also any advice on places to go and see or stay would also be good. :)

we had to take the driving test there once again. They said the european driving licence isn't valid over there....

but it was quite easy...

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Mon 18 May, 2009 11:42 PM Quote
Yes, LA to Vegas...all desert, but You do get to pass the road with the awesomest name in the US:

ZZYZX!!

elfy
elfy Posted Tue 19 May, 2009 6:45 AM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Yes, LA to Vegas...all desert, but You do get to pass the road with the awesomest name in the US:

ZZYZX!!

Haha! Yeah, I forgot about that. And if further proof were needed that that actually exists, I took a photo of it. Well, you can't not take a photo of that can you?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/IMG_1514-1.jpg

And also, if you're a fan of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas you'll be happy to know you pass here.

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold..."
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/elfy32the2nd/IMG_1479.jpg

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:47 AM