Travis

Re: Paul vs Ringo!
Moray
Moray Posted Sat 07 Mar, 2009 4:37 PM Quote
Ringo - La de Da

This is my favourite Ringo solo number. Its so shit its brilliant!! If you look closely, I think thats Ric on guitar, wearing a beret.

For the record, George gets my vote. His album "All Things Must Pass" is, for me, the most accomlished album of all the solo Beatles stuff.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 6:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Sometimes it's not just about the singer's ability,,, Shane McGowan for example (or if you really think about it John Lydon or Bob Dylan).

Bob, Johnny and Shane all use their voices more as an instrument than the traditional "nice" vocal lyricist, they use their unpleasant voices to get the message across. Ringo does neither unfortunately but at least he's giving it a go, I for one am quite happy he's got over his alcoholism and various other problems.

Actually it is all about the singer's ability (for myself at least)--if you have to mumble then you won't be hearing lyrics let alone a message. I don't understand the fascination with that. You're right, RIngo does neither but he doesn't claim otherwise. He is a superb drummer tho, just listen to the 'Love' record where the drums have been moved up.
And 'All Things Must Pass' is generally considered the best Beatles solo album. But none of their solo stuff comes close to their original catalogue.
Talking of all this, is anyone interested in the Beatles Rock Band that's gonna be released later in the year?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 6:58 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:

Actually it is all about the singer's ability (for myself at least)--if you have to mumble then you won't be hearing lyrics let alone a message. I don't understand the fascination with that.

So what about singers who sing in a different language, or just warble, Cocteau Twins, Sigur Ros for example. It's about the music in those cases surely ??

Dubz

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 1:13 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

So what about singers who sing in a different language, or just warble, Cocteau Twins, Sigur Ros for example. It's about the music in those cases surely ??
Dubz

Oh yeah there are many cases where the music is amazing but the singer's voice is just grating lol.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 10 Mar, 2009 1:36 AM Quote
George was my favorite and John is second.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:37 PM