Travis

Gastric bypass
Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 02 Mar, 2009 10:24 AM Quote
What is your opinion on gastric bypass? It seems like it's becoming more and more common for severely obese people to get these stomach reductions. Is it an "easy" way out? And in a country like mine with free health care, is it fair to spend a lot of money on this procedure?

Regarding the money, I can see why some people think that society shouldn't spend so much money on it. But in my opinion it's not much different from treating lung cancer and other smoker-related illnesses. Or what do you think?

I don't really know what to think of the procedure itself. Last year, my colleague's sister-in-law died after one of these operations. On the other hand, I just saw my brother's friend this weekend. I haven't seen him since the operation, and he's lost 84 kg (about 180 pounds!). As far as I can see, it has obviously helped him, but there are some drawbacks as well.

Re: Gastric bypass
Nell
Nell Posted Mon 02 Mar, 2009 1:07 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
What is your opinion on gastric bypass? It seems like it's becoming more and more common for severely obese people to get these stomach reductions. Is it an "easy" way out?

I don't really think it's an "easy" way out. It ruins the fun of eating for a life - time since you gotta eat very very slowly and very few. It's also rather painful - especially the adjustments you gotta do shortly after the operation. And the biggest thing of all is: It's a kinda risky operation. Well, every surgery does have its risks. But it's not like a lipo-suction. It's an operation with general aneasthesia (which enholds risks). Doktors here say it's rather risky and you shouldn't do it, if you're not absolutely sure about it...(or so fat - that the risk to your health is bigger, than the operation itself..) I know 2 people by friends who've done it - and by television another two who died last year - during the procedure last year.
Hanne wrote:

And in a country like mine with free health care, is it fair to spend a lot of money on this procedure? Regarding the money, I can see why some people think that society shouldn't spend so much money on it. But in my opinion it's not much different from treating lung cancer and other smoker-related illnesses. Or what do you think?

Free health care? Where do you live?`And is there space for one more? ;)
Here (Switzerland) the health insurence covers the costs if you've got a BMI over 40. (Then the risk to your heart is probably bigger than the risk of the operation...so it's really necessary) (It really costs a fortune...)

on loung cancer as for adiposity - it's not entirely proven that's its only one person's fault. It can be - it might almost over be - but there is prove that it also depends on your body - how fast you process the meal, how your hormones are balanced, how your genes are etc. Not every body is build same - and I think the hardest thing to control are the hormones.

Hanne wrote:

I don't really know what to think of the procedure itself. Last year, my colleague's sister-in-law died after one of these operations. On the other hand, I just saw my brother's friend this weekend. I haven't seen him since the operation, and he's lost 84 kg (about 180 pounds!). As far as I can see, it has obviously helped him, but there are some drawbacks as well.

I'd be afraid of the risks of the procedure - but on the other hand. I don't think skinny people - who've been thin and loved their whole life can understand the pressure lying on the thick once. If you consider rather killing yourself than live on like this longer - I'm totally for it.

Sadly - as long as you're depressed you're not alowed to do the operation.

But see my point?

People ( I don't mean you guys, but the majority of the western world) love thin people. In a world, where people like Paris Hilton, Victoria Beckham, or all these models are celebrated as idols, and where all these shows like "American's/Germanies etc. - next topmodel" are the decisive lines for the people- would you really wanna be fat?...

No wonder Pro-Ana/Mia things come up...

ok thought like that - I'd probably do it too - I don't know...

Sorry...was this understanable?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 02 Mar, 2009 2:26 PM Quote
Nell, I perfectly understand what you're saying :)

When I say 'easy way out' it was mostly to play the devil's advocate and get some reactions. As you say, it's not possible to understand obese people if you've been thin your whole life. Personally, I have lost 35 kg on my own volition so I know how hard it is. I also know how much my brother's friend had been through before going through this procedure.

About the free health care... I live in Denmark where it's free to go to the doctor and the hospital. You only have to pay for medication yourself. However, this creates a reallya big problem with waiting lists (the hospital version of the queues outside shops in Eastern Europe during communism). The consequence is that we're getting more and more private hospitals and private health insurances which again means that people who can afford this don't have to wait 4 months for a cancer operation or 18 months to get a new hip.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Mar, 2009 3:11 PM Quote
One of my husband's relatives recently had the surgery. Her mother was always overweight and had knee problems, lots of pain, and died of cancer. She did not want to follow in her mother's footsteps; she was already having back pain made worse by her weight. She has tried many things over the years to lose weight without success. She has young children to keep up with. So she had the surgery in November. I saw her at Christmas and she had lost 30 pounds.

She had to take classes to make sure she was psychologically prepared for the changes she would have to make in her life as a result--a new way of eating, all the vitamins and supplements she has to take.

Most of the family was against her having the surgery, but it was not anyone else's decision to make.
It seems like a huge change in lifestyle to commit to. And the results are not guaranteed. You can stretch out the stomach pouch and become overweight again.

I don't understand everything about it, but it seems like if you are able to commit to this drastic change post-surgery, it seems like committing to diet and exercise in the beginning would be easier. But like I said, I've never been there in that position of being drastically overweight.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 02 Mar, 2009 3:34 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Nell, I perfectly understand what you're saying :)

When I say 'easy way out' it was mostly to play the devil's advocate and get some reactions. As you say, it's not possible to understand obese people if you've been thin your whole life. Personally, I have lost 35 kg on my own volition so I know how hard it is. I also know how much my brother's friend had been through before going through this procedure.

About the free health care... I live in Denmark where it's free to go to the doctor and the hospital. You only have to pay for medication yourself. However, this creates a reallya big problem with waiting lists (the hospital version of the queues outside shops in Eastern Europe during communism). The consequence is that we're getting more and more private hospitals and private health insurances which again means that people who can afford this don't have to wait 4 months for a cancer operation or 18 months to get a new hip.

Haha, since when does the devil need an advocat?

You say they gotta pay for the medicin themself? But that's kind hard too. Not just kinda. Cancer medicine and also lots of other stuffs costs billions of dollars!

My Mum's working in a hospital and she once told me she had to give a girl an injection every day, where the ampoule of 5mg alone costed about 800-900$...now imagine taking that stuff over several months - and paying for it by yourself!!

That's even more horrible...Maybe I'll stay here...:p

About that surgery again...

It's less the risky surgery I'd be afraid of, but the life afterwards...all these changes - I wonder though, how it would be - what commitments have to be made.

As I understand it, a gastric bypass is not just a gastric banding surgery but they also shorten the small intestine, where all the fat gets its work-up. And the stomach is scaled down... And it's an irrevesible operation whereas a gastric banding surgery can be redone! ...

It's a laproscopic operation - which is better for the patien, but harde for the surgent. Your stomach can hold about 25ml afterwards....

Well, imagine: it's better than lifing a lonely life or killing yourself, isn't it?

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:26 AM