Travis

Re: What will be the next single?
neo1011
neo1011 Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 8:12 AM Quote
Bellringer wrote:
Travis (and you could throw Ash and Keane into the same category) are stuck in the middle....with no hope of penetrating the Aussie market at all. Indeed, their only hope in Oz, in all honesty, is if they pull a Snow Patrol or Mraz and get their music played in promos for new, top rating TV shows......that's where Travis' only serious opportunity is...

Insightful comments there about the Australian market! They are particularly relevant to me as I live there! It's a shame Keane & Travis won't every reach the dizzying heights of Snow Patrol & Coldplay. Hell, even Oasis could only fill half of the Brisbane Entertainment Centre last time they toured.

Anyway I believe Long Way Down should be the next single. It's edgy, daring & has that fear of death Chris Martin has cashed in on. I know lyrically LWD has helped me to keep a distance from my favourite Australian/New Zealand bands like Crowded House & Powderfinger.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 7:29 PM Quote
Bellringer wrote:
It has to be Chinese Blues. The song is just mega, I'd never thought it were possible, but this is an elite Travis track that is in the same league as Writing To Reach You, Rain and Sing, timeless, universally memorable, and a song non-Travis fans need to hear and it NEEDS airplay for Travis to become big again. It's their only remaining hope from Ode.

agree totally. Absolutely at the top tabkle of all-time Travis tunes. Though I'd put BYWY there too - just maybe not quite as obvious a single.

Gotta say, I remember being gutted when Selfish Jean got to #30 (I really thought it would be THE comeback song, the first Travis single to be absolutely huge for years) - but that looks positively respectable now. In fact pretty damn good.

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:55 AM Quote
I bet for "before you were young" or "long way down"

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 17 Jan, 2009 9:22 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
And hasn't Fran said something like: "We don't want to be as big as Coldplay"?

Where did you come upon this?

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 17 Jan, 2009 9:39 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

Whatever the Band genuinly feel , both financially and professionally counts the most.

As ideas go ,something different and/or new marketing approach could swing the poularity for their music , what that is I don't know but regular tv or radio would be a good medium. Maybe they could host a launch pad for new Bands as this is also their forte and they are BRILLIANT entertainers on chat .

They are also very resilient.

You've made a good point here about new approaches. On the issue of popularity, in these last few years, what bands have been doing are multi-level projects (i.e. new label, clothing line, ect.) I've always admired that Travis have not sold-out in this sense but also realise that this is how many bands are functioning since the music industry has gone down the toilet.
Remember when TBWNN was out and they said when our last album was released there was no YouTube and stuff like that, so of course that has also changed the musical landscape.
I think someone else mentioned them not releasing cd singles, just the vinyl for Ode. That could also affect single sales. The reality is that it's a different business now and going through numerous transitions is not helping the artist.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 17 Jan, 2009 9:45 PM Quote
No, they released Something Anything on CD. And anyway I know of no place that sells CD singles anyway. Maybe a very small selection. It has very little to do with it. :)

No, Travis haven't 'sold out' but they've made decisions on what goes on an album by what they think is ok for radio. Song To Self for example.

I just hope things don't change because of this recent lack of Travis sales both in singles and albums. And there's a possibility of that happening like this strange non existence of US tour dates. Will they tour America? Neil has already suggested they might not.

alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:45 PM Quote
I believe this thing to still remain "The Invisible Band" is frustrating for all of us who follow Travis a time ago.

Well, about CD sales, all we know aren't good times for anyone in the industry, right now all is about touring (that was the reason why they come to a place like Peru and I reaLly don't understand why there's -still-nothing for US,) For this part of South America, there was an incredible reaction when many people hear Travis Live: How did not know this band before? they thought. However, if the radios don't help, the people won't know about his work. But, admittedly, perhaps we can't go against the tide and the guys want, one way or another, to follow with the label of invisibility to the world (but only visibly for lucky people like us)

... what can we do? :S

P.S. Next single? Mmmm Chinesse blues or Last words :)

davidbova
davidbova Posted Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:36 AM Quote
do we need a new single? is it necessary? we've heard the album..

the way it sounds, its more likely we'll get a new album. fran seems hungry. i really really doubt we'll see a new single off OTJS.

you know. if travis can survive just by touring, and i have no idea if they could, but there such a popular live act around the world that you imagine they could.. then is there really the need for the usual 3 singles/album release? isnt all that stuff just about generating cash for people behind desks anyway?

music comes in waves of popularity. one minute your doing something thats vital, then the next you can be overlooked. so travis arent consistently hitting the high end of the charts anymore. sure you can knock off numerous rhymes and reasons, and debate it to the death. but really. who cares? turn a negetive into a positive.

maybe now its time for something new. maybe now travis are in a really great position. to be creatively free to do whatever the hell they like.

example. neil young. believe it or not for great swathes of his career he was overlooked. people wanted the same album over and over again and it wasnt that he couldnt, or didnt want to give it to him, its just that whatever, at the time comes out, comes out. you follow the music. it takes you places. and at certain points, the majority will get it, and at certain points they wont.

popularity comes and goes. whats important is to keep doing it. keep innovating. travis will have the limelight again, and the best way to grab it, is to be unassuming, hungry and and not care an inch about chart position and popularity.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:56 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
And hasn't Fran said something like: "We don't want to be as big as Coldplay"?

Where did you come upon this?

I have no idea, I've just read it somewhere at this board :P

owenlee
owenlee Posted Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:37 AM Quote
davidbova wrote:
do we need a new single? is it necessary? we've heard the album..

the way it sounds, its more likely we'll get a new album. fran seems hungry. i really really doubt we'll see a new single off OTJS.

you know. if travis can survive just by touring, and i have no idea if they could, but there such a popular live act around the world that you imagine they could.. then is there really the need for the usual 3 singles/album release? isnt all that stuff just about generating cash for people behind desks anyway?

music comes in waves of popularity. one minute your doing something thats vital, then the next you can be overlooked. so travis arent consistently hitting the high end of the charts anymore. sure you can knock off numerous rhymes and reasons, and debate it to the death. but really. who cares? turn a negetive into a positive.

maybe now its time for something new. maybe now travis are in a really great position. to be creatively free to do whatever the hell they like.

example. neil young. believe it or not for great swathes of his career he was overlooked. people wanted the same album over and over again and it wasnt that he couldnt, or didnt want to give it to him, its just that whatever, at the time comes out, comes out. you follow the music. it takes you places. and at certain points, the majority will get it, and at certain points they wont.

popularity comes and goes. whats important is to keep doing it. keep innovating. travis will have the limelight again, and the best way to grab it, is to be unassuming, hungry and and not care an inch about chart position and popularity.

To the point.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 20 Jan, 2009 4:50 PM Quote
I would have thought that touring was HUGELY expensive and that record sales at least help alleviate some of those expenses. The singles probably help promote the tours as well. Aaah I wonder if they find the situation frustrating too......

davidbova
davidbova Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 7:21 PM Quote
im really not sure. but i would've thought that the touring side of things was more lucrative for the band as a whole, if you dont count the money fran and now dougie gets from royalties for writing. but i know so little on how it works, its very interesting though.

anyway, i feel excited for travis right now. i would hope theres not even the littlest pocket of air of disappointment or negetivity. and i hope their not in a rush.

god it must be so bloody weird for travis to read our messages.

laticsmon
laticsmon Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 2:52 PM Quote
It is so frustating when Travis produce the songs they do and get little, if any airplay.

I would agree that they should get with a MAJOR label for an album or two, just to get their name out there again.

mili
mili Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 5:31 PM Quote
I read somewhere that these days bands get more money from touring than from record sales. So the records act mainly as ads. Sales of actual cds are down thanks to all the free/illeagal stuff on the internet.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 1:25 AM