Travis

Re: TV Recommendations
mili
mili Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 5:49 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
megg_inc wrote:
Well of course there will be, you're Dubz :)

10 minutes in, it's shit !!

It's casualty or Eastenders or some other soap opera sh!t, just because it's set in 1918 doesn't make it any less sh!t. Badly acted, absolutely no continuity, there are two guys running along a ditch making a total racket with their guns rattling and coats swishing, and the nearly run in to a troop of Germans, they only notice that because a German discards a ciggarette end. Excuse me but 5 Germans don't hear two English fuckheads running about the woods making as much racket as possible.

Sorry

Dubz

That was not a typical episode.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 6:00 PM Quote
So. You watched random 10 minutes of a random episode of the 2nd season and your verdict is 'absolutely no continuity'? Okay.

Apart from that, I wasn't expecting any other opinion ;) It indeed has some soap opera-ish moments, especially in the second season but come on. Acting is not bad in this one!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 7:34 PM Quote
Errr, maybe it's just me, but when I start watching a new series (/want to see if I like a show) I usually start with the first episode? ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 7:59 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
So. You watched random 10 minutes of a random episode of the 2nd season and your verdict is 'absolutely no continuity'? Okay.

Apart from that, I wasn't expecting any other opinion ;) It indeed has some soap opera-ish moments, especially in the second season but come on. Acting is not bad in this one!

No I watched a full episode of what is billed as a "Period Drama" and which, at the very best, is soap opera. the acting is severly brutal, the accents are atrocious the costume and settings are unbelievable in 1918 not 1800, I'm not saying it's a bad programme, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. If you can forgive the acting and go for a storyline which is basically gossip and scandal then fair enough it's a great show, but it's not a "period drama" it's not fucking Charles Dickens or Bronte. It's a soap.

Hey I like shit like House and the Sopranos but I know exactly what they are especially in the latter seasons, they are no longer about solving cases or gangsters but more trivial. Whoo what's gonna happen with Chase & Cameron, I couldn't give a monkey's fuck I wanna know why the guy in the bed is bleeding through his eyeballs.

Actually this could be a new thread, name a decent "drama" that didn't turn to shit after two years (seasons for our American friends)...

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 9:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I concur.

I've been known to say that if hear one more word about Downton (Downton specials in magazines, endless Downton TV ads, Downton talk on other programmes, Downton 'stars' invading all other forms of flippin' media) that I might just shoot the telly.

Speaking of Casualty, that really is shit these days - I watched last week's episode and it was AWFUL. There's only about two people in the show who can actually act.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 9:37 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I concur.

I've been known to say that if hear one more word about Downton (Downton specials in magazines, endless Downton TV ads, Downton talk on other programmes, Downton 'stars' invading all other forms of flippin' media) that I might just shoot the telly.

Speaking of Casualty, that really is shit these days - I watched last week's episode and it was AWFUL. There's only about two people in the show who can actually act.

Love It !!

See it's not just the insane ramblings of one man anymore, there are others.

I actually had a wee thought today, everyone is going on about how Michael Bubble is the greatest thing since Frnak Sinatra (now if I wanna listen to someone who sounds like Frank or Deano I'll listen to Frank or Deano but that is beside the point) Everyone is going on about Michael Bubble being the new Frank three fucking words HARRY BASTARDING CONNICK JR. !!

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 9:53 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Love It !!

I actually had a wee thought today, everyone is going on about how Michael Bubble is the greatest thing since Frnak Sinatra (now if I wanna listen to someone who sounds like Frank or Deano I'll listen to Frank or Deano but that is beside the point) Everyone is going on about Michael Bubble being the new Frank three fucking words HARRY BASTARDING CONNICK JR. !!

Dubz

No, it's the insane ramblings of one woman as well. I fear we are in the minority Dubz.

My gran likes Buble and I'm subjected to the CD often. He's quite ... boring, for want of a better word.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 10:17 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Love It !!

Dubz

No, it's the insane ramblings of one woman as well. I fear we are in the minority Dubz.

My gran likes Buble and I'm subjected to the CD often. He's quite ... boring, for want of a better word.

That's exactly it !!, nail on the head, spot on, it's fuckin' shit, it's a pale imitation of what has gone before, it's unoriginal, it's reactionary, it's insipid and twee and bland. The fact that your Gran (no disrespect to her) likes him should be the very reason that anyone under the age of 55 should dislike him.

Dubz

eta: I feel Downtrodden Abbey is exactly the same a nice safe programme that yer Gran could watch. Mike Leigh, Ken Loach & Ken Russell must wondering why the fuck did they bother...

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 10:25 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

That's exactly it !!, nail on the head, spot on, it's fuckin' shit, it's a pale imitation of what has gone before, it's unoriginal, it's reactionary, it's insipid and twee and bland. The fact that your Gran (no disrespect to her) likes him should be the very reason that anyone under the age of 55 should dislike him.

Dubz

eta: I feel Downtrodden Abbey is exactly the same a nice safe programme that yer Gran could watch. Mike Leigh, Ken Loach & Ken Russell must wondering why the fuck did they bother...

Insipid - that's exactly it.

Downton's got some weird cult following, and not in a good way. Most reviews say 'it's so bad, it's good' but I've never really understood that.
Some bloke from it hosted Have I Got News For You recently - I hadn't got a clue who he was and didn't watch it, but thinking now Paul Merton might've taken the piss a bit, so might find it on YouTube.
I think I'm still bitter cos ITV cancelled Heartbeat on a Sunday night and replaced it with that shit. I guess I shouldn't really admit to watching HB ... I watched it for the 60s music, honest!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 10:43 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

No I watched a full episode of what is billed as a "Period Drama" and which, at the very best, is soap opera. the acting is severly brutal, the accents are atrocious the costume and settings are unbelievable in 1918 not 1800, I'm not saying it's a bad programme, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. If you can forgive the acting and go for a storyline which is basically gossip and scandal then fair enough it's a great show, but it's not a "period drama" it's not fucking Charles Dickens or Bronte. It's a soap.

*sigh* no one said it's freaking Dickens (speaking of whom, has anyone seen the latest adaptation of Great Expectations? now that was a disgrace). Anyway. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, I don't compare it to any great pieces of literature or cinema (what would be the point of that?). But as a tv show, in comparison to other tv shows, it is good. I enjoy it, some storylines and dialogue delight me and sorry, but costumes are historically accurate. Can't comment on the accents.

Am I in the cult already? ;)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 10:46 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Am I in the cult already? ;)

If you like it, you're in! I don't mean the people in the cult are weird, I mean the fact that it has a cult following is weird .... just to clarify lol.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 12:39 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Downton's got some weird cult following, and not in a good way. Most reviews say 'it's so bad, it's good' but I've never really understood that.

err, when a show/movie/etc has a "cult following" it means it has a tiny but dedicated audience. Pretty sure Downton Abbey has pretty big ratings! Given that people of 3 or 4 countries are talking about it on here...that would back that up. And doesnt it have massive ratings in the UK?

And I've sure there are some bad reviews, but..."In September 2011, the show entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the 'most critically acclaimed television show' for the year, becoming the first British show to win the award. It beat American shows Mad Men and Modern Family to the title..." and it has been nominated for a ton of Emmys and BAFTAs and things. Im not saying that this automatically says it is good, but it does say that it is critically well recieved and not poorly reviewed

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 7:57 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

err, when a show/movie/etc has a "cult following" it means it has a tiny but dedicated audience. Pretty sure Downton Abbey has pretty big ratings! Given that people of 3 or 4 countries are talking about it on here...that would back that up. And doesnt it have massive ratings in the UK?

I dug out my Rough Guide to Cult TV book, which was hiding in the fourth box of books I dug out from the loft.

Programmes with a cult following include The Avengers, The Simpsons, Sex and the City, Monty Python etc ...

Apparently, "there is no scientific formula for deciding whether a TV programme is cult or not."

It acknowledges that you could pour over the dictionary definitions, but they say:
"deciding whether a programme is cult or not is [a] personal decision ..."
which is nice :-)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:07 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I dug out my Rough Guide to Cult TV book, which was hiding in the fourth box of books I dug out from the loft.

Programmes with a cult following include The Avengers, The Simpsons, Sex and the City, Monty Python etc ...

Apparently, "there is no scientific formula for deciding whether a TV programme is cult or not."

It acknowledges that you could pour over the dictionary definitions, but they say:

In Downtrodden Abbey's case might the term "Cult" Following be a massive typo... "L" is dangerously close to "N"... ??

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:11 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
minnmess wrote:

You aren't an overly pleasant person, are you?

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:14 AM