Travis

Re: Dear american boardies
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
I'm pretty sure in Alaska they say, "Gee golly gosh darn diggity-do." That's what Nikki tells me, anyway.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:47 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I'm pretty sure in Alaska they say, "Gee golly gosh darn diggity-do." That's what Nikki tells me, anyway.

when ordering drinks? Or just in general about everything? That could get confusing! They must have to point a lot

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
I left that one out there pretty much with a ribbon wrapped around it , about time someone took the shot

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

when ordering drinks? Or just in general about everything? That could get confusing! They must have to point a lot

It's sort of a multi-purpose phrase. It's appropriate for most any occasion.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 11:40 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
sebnemy wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POP

I know I am late into this conversation but you call it pop in Canada, too? I thought it was only in Ohio. And is it ok to refer to them as soft drinks? Or is it not cool? I heard people calling it soda pop, is it completely a no-no? And why would anybody drink anything other than (diet) coca cola? Then, even if they do, can we refer to it simply as coke? As in I will go and get a coke. Does coke refer to Coca Cola only or would some people think of pepsi when you say coke? Or if you want pepsi do you say pepsi, not coke? Totally confused.

1. You can refer to them as "soft drinks" only when making the distinction that you are not serving alcohol. Like you could say, "Come over for a barbecue tonight. We'll have plenty of beer, but there will be soft drinks for the kids."

But you wouldn't say, "I'd like a soft drink, please."

2. Saying the complete "soda pop" sounds old fashioned. Like the 1950's. Say "pop" since you are in Ohio.

3. People would drink something other than Diet Coke because diet pop has a weird taste and I avoid artificial sweeteners. Bleh!

4. In Ohio, Coke refers only to Coca-Cola. Texas has their weird way of calling everything that fizzes a coke. In Ohio, you specify Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, 7-Up or whatever.

5. If you are in a restaurant, they will serve ONLY Coca-Cola products or ONLY Pepsi products. If you ask for a Coke in a a Pepsi place, they will give you Pepsi. If you ask for Pepsi in a Coca-Cola place, they will give you Coke. That is interchangeable since they are both colas and you really have no choice. But it's not a big deal to most people.

Welcome to wonderful world of "pop" culture in the midwest!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel enlightened on the matter of "pop" culture!
Two small notes: I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio 10 years ago, not anymore. I live in Turkey now. And diet coke understands me:)--I guess that was from an old commercial.

P.S. Do you know that you cannot find anything that tastes like Dr. Pepper (root beer, etc.) in this country (Turkey)? Not a big deal for me--since I do not like it. But might be an interesting note on pop culture.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 2:40 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:

P.S. Do you know that you cannot find anything that tastes like Dr. Pepper (root beer, etc.) in this country (Turkey)? Not a big deal for me--since I do not like it. But might be an interesting note on pop culture.

Dr. Pepper is NASTY!
I don't like root beer either. BLAHHHHHH!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 2:44 PM Quote
agreed. Dr. Pepper=grossness
I dont hate other rootbeers, but i never ever pick that to drink. If i was thirsty and it was the only thing there. I'd drink it.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Dr. Pepper is NASTY!
I don't like root beer either. BLAHHHHHH!

How can you be hating on Dr Pepper ? Just learned there's no caffine in rootbeer so I ain't touching it

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:32 PM Quote
My husband is a big Dr Pepper fan. It is HUGE in the south. When we were recently in Vermont he tried to order one. Of course they didn't have it. I laughed in his face and asked him where he thought he was.

We have been to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco. I do not lie.

I don't hate it but I don't ever choose it. I know someone who described the taste as similar to cough medicine. I find this to be a pretty accurate description.

And yes here it is all Coke. It's pretty silly. I love saying pop when I'm making fun of midwestern accents.

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp.

As in, "I drink paaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhp at my jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhb. I work with Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhb. I like his caaaahhhhhrrrrrrrr."

Love you Nikki Kayte and Jolene!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:37 PM Quote
Dr Pepper museum in Waco ? Can you got automatic weapons in the gift shopppe ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:39 PM Quote
so today Anne has made her husband, Kayte, Nikki and Jolene hate her! What a busy day you have had! lol

Why do the people of Western New York say "bax" instead of "box" ? No, i dont want to take my leftovers in a bax, please and thank you.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:40 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Dr Pepper museum in Waco ? Can you got automatic weapons in the gift shopppe ?

You can't buy them but they've tricked them out to be bottle openers.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
My husband is a big Dr Pepper fan. It is HUGE in the south. When we were recently in Vermont he tried to order one. Of course they didn't have it. I laughed in his face and asked him where he thought he was.

We have been to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco. I do not lie.

I don't hate it but I don't ever choose it. I know someone who described the taste as similar to cough medicine. I find this to be a pretty accurate description.

And yes here it is all Coke. It's pretty silly. I love saying pop when I'm making fun of midwestern accents.

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp.

As in, "I drink paaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhp at my jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhb. I work with Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhb. I like his caaaahhhhhrrrrrrrr."

Love you Nikki Kayte and Jolene!

I think Jolene is the one who needs the lovin'. The Detroit "pop" is nowhere near paaaaahhhp.

Why do people in California say "tock" when they mean talk?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
so today Anne has made her husband, Kayte, Nikki and Jolene hate her! What a busy day you have had! lol

It's out of love. They will truly enjoy my attempt at a midwestern accent when we meet.

And for the record, Nikki's accent is lovely. I am making fun of people who live in Pontiac.*

*that is, Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhneaaaaacccck

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 3:53 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I think Jolene is the one who needs the lovin'. The Detroit "pop" is nowhere near paaaaahhhp.

Why do people in California say "tock" when they mean talk?

what you tockin bout ?

Chea is the new thing i've been hearing the youngsters say in Oakland . You use it to respond to a positive , example

Thats one hella bitchin ass McCain poster mazn

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/ricv64/DSC03402.jpg

then you say ,

Chea

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:32 PM