Travis

Re: voting
lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:27 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

edit: I just read that Prop 8 in Cali is too close to call right now, but it looks like it will pass, overturning gay marriage rights. Hopefully in 20, 30 years, this will be seen as ridiculous as well.

Hopefully more like in 5 years.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:35 AM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:
minnmess wrote:

edit: I just read that Prop 8 in Cali is too close to call right now, but it looks like it will pass, overturning gay marriage rights. Hopefully in 20, 30 years, this will be seen as ridiculous as well.

agreed. this seems ridiculous right now. hopefully the 52% that voted yes will see how ridiculous they are really soon.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:
Nell wrote:

What was also discussed and gave me even a heavier head was the point of religion.

Our (well Germany's) most famous and serious reporter did a docu in the US concerned voting and religious beliefs...

But shouldn't those things be strictly seperated from each other? So this reporter said something like: for lots of people in America it politics doesn't really matter - what actually matters is the belief in God of the new candidate for president...that was quite a shock to hear...

Well, if you were really hard-core into your religion, and there was a candidate who believed the same things you did, wouldn't you want him/her to lead you? Religious views are the same as political views. If a candidate believes the same things you do (religious or otherwise) then you're inclined to vote for him/her. Also, the US was founded on Christian principles, and I think that that is still really important to a lot of people. But I also think that it is an easy out for people who are too lazy to research the candidates.

yes ...you're probably right..didn't think it through..at least not that way..but that was exactly my point - to like somebody who has the same belive/opinion is one thing but to follow blindly (that's what I meant by it -) by not doing some research about the candidates is quite dangerouse....

Well I'm happy it's Obama...(hopefully he won't touch our banks...hehe )

Nora

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 6:27 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
lindsey22295 wrote:
minnmess wrote:

agreed. this seems ridiculous right now. hopefully the 52% that voted yes will see how ridiculous they are really soon.

Apperently Ellen Degeneres think the same way, except she is a gay Californian who this actually effects:

In her message, DeGeneres, 50, concluded by saying, "I believe one day a 'ban on gay marriage' will sound totally ridiculous. In the meantime, I will continue to speak out for equality for all of us."

Pages Previous 1...6 7 8 9 [10] All Times BST Current Time 6:48 PM