Travis

Re: November 4th Countdown
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 2:43 PM Quote
OK I don't know where to put my review but since there was a few requests in this thread, this seems like as good a place as any.

Bottom line: I am love with this album. At the moment I am trying to find a way to make out with it. It's a lean mean bad ass machine! It's on the shorter side but in no way did I feel short changed. The songs get you quickly and don't muck around with a lot of blowhard crap that other acts are guilty of. And the songs work together really well, as well as individually. I was impressed by all of their contributions but I thought Neil's drumming was notably fantastic. I don't know if the songs just lent themselves to having more prominent parts, or if they just turned him up more but I noticed his parts more and loved them.

Song by song thoughts:

1) Chinese Blues - intro is very strong and catches you. The melody and lyrics mesh well to make it a driving passionate song. I esp. like the "it's the gun in your back/ it's a heart attack" part.

2) J. Smith - already knew I liked this song. It is a bit different with the choral part but I dig it. Moray said that he liked the song but liked it more in the context of the album. I completely agree.

3) Something Anything - happy that Andy's guitar gets to sing so much in this album. Here is a prime example.

4) Long Way Down - I had all the "Importance of Being Idle" controversy in my head so I was listening with that in mind when this song started. Fran, don't kill me but there were a few .028 seconds of the song where I could see why that would cross someone's mind. But I don't think I would have ever made that comparison on my own. I like this song but it's not speaking as deeply to me as some of the others.

5) Broken Mirror - They all set a very haunting atmosphere with their various parts. By no means do I think this is a bad song but this song spoke to me the least on the album. For me it's just OK. But watch, I bet it'll be my favorite track at some point. : )

6) Last Words - I like the drums and the banjo the most on this song. Also the melody and accompanying harmony on the chorus. It'll be a song you find yourself humming and bopping to. Not in a cheesy way though.

7) Quite Free - Another strong melody. Fran's voice sounds great on the higher parts.

8) Get Up - I love this song! I don't get why so many people are meh about it. It gets me going, the harmonies are great, the organ/synth (not sure what it technically is) part is something that catches and keeps my attention.

9) Friends - A quiet but well executed ditty. I was happy to hear the full version that built past Gerbil Sandwich's take.

10) Song to Self - this is a gorgeous song. The melody, Fran's voice, the strings, the lyrics.

11) Before You Were Young - I cried the first few times I heard this song. I was taken off guard by how epic and fantastic the end is. The drums! I can't take it! There is nothing I don't love about this song. It makes me want to cry, say "holy guacamole!", and pee my pants.

My top songs are:
BYWY
Song to Self
Last Words

Koala
Koala Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Do you know something? That day is even more speciall for me because it my birthday... hahaha It's great. By the way 3 days!!!!

SOrry for my English

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
Great review!!! Thank you, Anne!!!
The "holy guacamole" part was very funny xD.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 4:37 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Great review!!! Thank you, Anne!!!
The "holy guacamole" part was very funny xD.

LMAO at your avatar Juli!! That is fantastic. Glad you liked it. I actually say holy guacamole fairly often.

(side note: the two lawyers I work with make fantastic guacamole. It's soooo good!)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 2:48 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

LMAO at your avatar Juli!! That is fantastic. Glad you liked it. I actually say holy guacamole fairly often.

(side note: the two lawyers I work with make fantastic guacamole. It's soooo good!)

Thanks, Anne! :oP
"Holy guacamole" sounds so funny!
I'm not a big fan of guacamole, but I like it. It's not a very common food here.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
Great review, Anne!! You crack me up, woman! I agree with you on nearly everything you said about the album, but I think I'm feeling "Long Way Down" a bit more than you. It's one of my favorites! I laughed out loud at this part: "At the moment I am trying to find a way to make out with it. It's a lean mean bad ass machine! ... The songs get you quickly and don't muck around with a lot of blowhard crap that other acts are guilty of."

Edit: I LOVE me some guacamole. Yum.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 4:23 PM Quote
oh there's your review!! I didnt know where you posted it!
Great review Annie Anne.

I think i need to give it a few more listens and then i will make my all mighty review.

OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 9:49 PM Quote
"holy guacamole"
XD

Gah, only 2 days left. I hope it's gonna be delivered on time.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 11:50 PM Quote
[quote="Nikki"] I think I'm feeling "Long Way Down" a bit more than you. It's one of my favorites![quote]

What's so funny is all day today - even before I read this- I've been humming Long Way Down. I am definitely digging it more and more.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 11:58 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I think I'm feeling "Long Way Down" a bit more than you. It's one of my favorites!

What's so funny is all day today - even before I read this- I've been humming Long Way Down. I am definitely digging it more and more.

I love Long Way Down! Except you know, I still wish it didn't have the bad word. I mean, "swoop" and "poop" rhyme. I'm sure he could have worked it out. Maybe? ;o)

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:42 AM Quote
Nice review Anne!

I'm so excited. I don't think I am going to be able to sleep tonight. Election day tomorrow and Ode to J. Smith!! It is like christmas for a little kid. WHEEEEEE!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:15 AM Quote
Well, I started calling record stores and they told me to call again tomorrow at noon because "stuff" will be arriving tomorrow morning... They don't know if Ode is included.
And I called SonyBMG, the label that distributed all of Travis' previous records, but there was no one at the Commercial Department, so I have to call again tomorrow morning.

*Crosses fingers*

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 11:50 AM Quote
Today, today, todayyyyyyyyy!!!
Thanks to everyone who's been wishing me good luck!!!
Lindsey, I'm sure you'll get it, because the US is not like Argentina haha. Yay!!!! :oD

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:25 PM Quote
Today is the daaaay...for dancin' and for singin'!! :)

Good luck Juli and everyone else who waited! You crazy, crazy people, lol!

ps: LOL @ Kayte's "swoop" and "poop" reference. :P

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:30 PM Quote
Oh Juli Im wishing you the best of luck in finding the album today! You have been such a strong and dedicated fan. Unlike us "weak minded individuals" (thanks Anne, lol). I LOVE that you called Sony!
I'm going to stop of my way home from work to see if it is actually in stores.
I just wrote "November 4th" on something and it made me laugh.
Im a loser.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:28 AM