Travis

Re: Last film you saw
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 26 Feb, 2011 6:11 PM Quote
Perhaps it's just my contrary nature, but whenever I read a strongly negative review of a movie, it kinda makes me want to see it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 26 Feb, 2011 6:15 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Perhaps it's just my contrary nature, but whenever I read a strongly negative review of a movie, it kinda makes me want to see it.

there are some "bad" movies that are so bad they are worth seeing... off the top of my head...

The Evil Dead
Bad Taste
The Princess Bride

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 26 Feb, 2011 6:23 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nowhere near as good as Lebowski or Oh Brother but it has it's moments, if you can handle Nicholas Cage hamming up the Southern drawl.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SRGMP0P4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dubz

I lurve that movie

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 26 Feb, 2011 7:14 PM Quote
Absolute fucking Classic !!

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_u/uncle_buck.jpg

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:25 PM Quote
Quote from my husband about last night's movie:

"Not only do I feel I didn't gain anything from that movie, I feel like something's been taken away from me."

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:00 PM Quote
Back on track now with a Hitchcock movie, "Rope." Rope is a bit like Rear Window in that all the action takes place in one apartment. It's about 2 wealthy, ivy league college guys who kill a classmate...just for fun. They believe that certain "superior" people are above moral laws and that killing is a "privilege" for them. Then they stuff him in a large trunk, throw a party, and serve a buffet dinner on the trunk. Guests include the boy's father and aunt. James Stewart gets top billing in this movie, but he is not the main star. The arrogant student who throws the party is such a creepy, stuck-up jerk...he makes the whole show. The second guy ends up cracking under the pressure of the situation. It was a pretty good movie and one that I could imagine being updated if it were done tastefully, which I doubt is possible.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:08 PM Quote
why wont you tell us the movie?

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 3:20 PM Quote
Avatar last night. The sound absolutely blew me away. Wish I'd seen it in a cinema now but I'm always a bit slow with these sort of things.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 3:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Back on track now with a Hitchcock movie, "Rope." Rope is a bit like Rear Window in that all the action takes place in one apartment. It's about 2 wealthy, ivy league college guys who kill a classmate...just for fun. They believe that certain "superior" people are above moral laws and that killing is a "privilege" for them. Then they stuff him in a large trunk, throw a party, and serve a buffet dinner on the trunk. Guests include the boy's father and aunt. James Stewart gets top billing in this movie, but he is not the main star. The arrogant student who throws the party is such a creepy, stuck-up jerk...he makes the whole show. The second guy ends up cracking under the pressure of the situation. It was a pretty good movie and one that I could imagine being updated if it were done tastefully, which I doubt is possible.

based on a true story......you ever see LIFEBOAT ?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 3:47 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
why wont you tell us the movie?

Because I feel ashamed and dirty for having seen it.

Ok, it was "I'm Still Here," that "mockumentary" with Joaquin Phoenix. I really liked "Walk the Line." I liked Joaquin Phoenix. But just knowing that he not only consented to doing this movie, but actually was one of the people who originated the idea...even if everything in here is 100% pure fake...it has actually changed my opinion of him. I guess their experiment was that audiences will believe anything if you use your real name, that people are incapable of distinguishing acting from reality.

I honestly wish I'd never seen this movie because, as I said, I liked Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. He is shown doing things with prostitutes, he snorts cocaine throughout the movie (I don't know if he does or doesn't do drugs in real life, but if I had a brother who died because of them...that really bothered me), and he treats everyone worse than dogs. He has a friend who pulls his pants down at every opportunity and the camera shows it all. There is graphic vomiting and a defecation scene. And it's not like, ha ha, look at what he's doing, what a joke! It's like watching...I don't know...it's just horrible. I don't want it to be a compliment to his acting that it irritated me that much. I guess it must have been great, in that case. But unless every single celebrity in that movie was in on the joke (and there are LOTS of celebrities in it) he used people. Most of the dialogue consisted of the F word. The whole thing is just pure TRASH. No wonder it grossed only $500,000. I bet they couldn't even cover the expenses of the movie. Good. Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck deserve to lose money from that. I want my rental fee back.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 4:11 PM Quote
well that sounds...awful. While I had no intentional of ever seeing it, I do like Pheonix and Afleck and the whole thing has always seemed ridiculous.
I hope you can wash those images from your mind.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 4:41 PM Quote
It really should have been rated NC-17 instead of just R.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 01 Mar, 2011 8:48 AM Quote
This is brilliant, I cannot recommend it enough, It's like Amelie in places but it's so much more and hugely dark in other places, a young man on a downward spiral is asked to clear out his Aunt's apartment by his father after she is found murdered in a park. It really is a fantastic piece of cinema, apart from the songs (there are a few musical interludes).

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQBArN5OzpjSMLkihLogwMejq6P739Ne6MQ1p_qSO_7nHHNe1Y&t=1

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 01 Mar, 2011 3:34 PM Quote
Finally saw Fight Club last week. Quite impressed really, was kinda afraid to see it in case i'd be disappointed.

Also watched The Pagemaster, the Macauley Culkin movie, was showing it in college last night. Bit of nostaligia like! Used to be so much better when I was younger. It was fun watching it with an older crowd though, we all found things funny that we'd never noticed before.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 03 Mar, 2011 2:49 PM Quote
http://s2.imgimg.de/uploads/500ec3ab801jpg.jpg

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:43 AM