Travis

Re: Coming soon to a 'board near you
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:18 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
I think it should be a non-b-side showdown, so all bonus tracks count unless they are only released in some countries. I think Perfect Heaven Space was on almost every copy, so include that, but don't put 12th Memory in unless you need to make up numbers. As for Sarah... I really want it included, but it could win the b-side showdown so is it better to wait?

Is there going to be a league first again to get rid of the no-hopers? And what about those aliens, are they going to try to abduct a-sides as well as b-sides? :P

Ah who knows, alien appearances are most unpredictable....

Yes, I'll most probably do a group stage first where people's least favourite songs are eliminated. Apart from anything else, the numbers need to be whittled down to 64 so that we'll then be able to pair songs right to the end.

I think Perfect Heaven Space should be included, and the 12th Memory shouldn't, I agree. Sarah being in a b-side showdown though... well, I'm just not convinced it is a b-side. Maybe a Travis member could enlighten us if they know the technicalities of such things... *looks around*

Why wouldn't "Sarah" be a B-side? Because J. Smith was never really an official single? But it's still a B-side to the EP...right? So what else is it if not a B-side? lol. You're right, Luke, I think we need Fran to define this for us.

Well as far as I understand it EP's are like mini-albums. So, from this point of view, Sarah is as much an a-side as any other album track. It just happens to be a very small album. :P

It's difficult to define what a b-side is to be honest, because its an outdated word. Its from the days of vinyls when there were literally two sides. But my computer's dictionary says: "The less important side of a pop single record" - suggesting it is purely to do with singles.

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:12 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Luke, do you think you have too much time on your hands?

LOL!!!!!

Oh man, Luke, I just laughed SO hard when you said you were putting on your lab coat.

That hurt my head. I am sorry I asked, but you do bring up several good points. I don't think Sarah should be included because it's a B-side, but Get Up should because while it's a B-side on the J. Smith EP, it's also an album track on Ode. I guess including all hidden tracks makes sense too.

I'm a bit confused about the songs on The Singles album. Were The Distance, Walking In The Sun and Coming Around all released as singles off that album? If so, I think we should add them because they're not B-sides.

As far as the extra tracks added to the end of some versions of TIB and The Boy, like 20 and Perfect Heaven Space, I don't think they should be added because they weren't on the majority of most people's albums and are viewed as B-sides/alternative tracks to most people.

Tell me about it.... Lab coat had me in stitches!!!!!! Want your lab rat.... I'll be your lab rat LOL

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:54 AM Quote
I think it should be any song on any of the 6 albums, plus Walking In The Sun and Coming Around. Of course there are some songs that are on some versions that aren't on others. Maybe we only pick songs that are on ALL versions of the album.

Maybe... lol

And i think Sarah is a b-side.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 4:37 AM Quote
Oh my...my head is spinning! But bring on the showdown! (After Nov. 4th of course.) :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 5:30 AM Quote
My vote is to include every song they've ever done. A-sides, B-sides, covers, commercial jingles, whatever.

Luke, your game, your rules. But my suggestion is just to pick an arbitrary number (say, 64) and you figure out how to literally or figuratively pick 64 songs out a hat.

Then list those puppies. I'd like to see a mix of all types of tracks. I imagine A-sides would have a huge advantage but it could be interesting.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:58 AM Quote
Every Travis song ever recorded. How about that Luke? 140+ songs! :) Woo hoo! :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:57 PM Quote
I'm not doing every Travis song! It's bad enough counting 32 votes from each person in the first round... 70+ would kill me. :P

Regarding Sarah, everyone else seems to think it's a b-side so I'll put it in the next b-side one. The b-side thing was actually gonna be a one-off 'special' but I guess it's gonna come back by popular demand lol.

And I think I'm gonna include Perfect Heaven space. It's just as problematic to justify putting it into the b-side one... it wasn't in the last b-side showdown and we can't miss it out on both! (Although I am missing 12th Memory out on both. But it was never really a 'proper' track anyway was it? XD).

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:56 PM Quote
Good Lord,

I have only been away for a couple of days and I have missed out on all this excitement!!!! SHOWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring it on!!!!!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:40 PM Quote
I think for the sake of this, 'b side' should mean 'other songs' like 12th Memory. :)

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 4:55 PM Quote
Great idea!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 4:57 PM Quote

What about Say Hello? I don't know how it was released. Is it a b-side?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
Say Hello was an iTunes pre order exclusive. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Ahh, I see. So where does it fit in all this? :oP

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:42 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Urgh another one to think about lol.

Um. It's another track like Perfect Heaven Space in that it depends on how or where you got TBWNN from. I think it'll go in the b-side showdown... although is it then hypocritical to keep Perfect Heaven Space in? :P

Maybe we should just say all tracks that were on UK released (physical) albums and be done with it. No Sarah. No Say Hello. But yes to PHS cos it was on the UK disk. Shall we keep The Distance... is a compilation album an abum nonetheless? :P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:43 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Haha. No idea! :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:47 PM