Travis

Re: Where R U from? (Countries, Cities, Stories)
Moray
Moray Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:37 AM Quote
Hello! I've let a bit of a nomadic existance to date. Albeit, it's been limited to just the one country (Scotland)

I spent the first few years of my life living in Giffnock, a suburb of Glasgow. Moved from there over to Lenzie (another suburb of greater Glasgow) when I was around 5. Just in time for starting Primary School. Lived there till I was about 10 when I moved to Huntly, as my dad's work took him there (He was Head Teacher of the local Secondary school). Huntly is a rural town in the North East (Aberdeenshire) of Scotland. Stayed there throughout my school days until I left for University. Moved back to Glasgow to go to Strathclyde, and stayed there for 5 years. Brilliant. Best times ever! When I graduated, I got a job in Aberdeen so moved back up North again. Where I have been ever since.

Recently, I managed a 3 month stint living & working in Hartlepool, near Newcastle. And around 9 months living and working on and Oil Platform in the middle of the North Sea, back when I was working on rotation offshore.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:04 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:

I have to say though that I'm quite happy to have grown up in a small country near a border. That way I've been forced to learn foreign languages and to understand other cultures.

Oh, totally! America is pretty diverse; there are a lot of different cultures crammed into small spaces (like the city of Chicago) but they are really just watered down versions of the original. The only culture I've really gotten to know (before moving to the UK) is Mexican, and even that is not extensive. I've learned Spanish in school, but there is no NEED to learn anything else, really. And I am not even that good at Spanish because I don't use it regularly, so I've 'lost' it.

Back in the States a lot of people want to know "what you are"; like what country your ancestors come from, etc... because we are all immigrants (except Native Americans). My answer to that question is so long (I've got 8 different *known* genelogies) that I usually just say American. (ok, I am kind of going on a little rabbit trail here, bear with me!) I think people see America as the country with all the other countries mixed in it. Which is true, to an extent. Yes, we are still a young country, but I think we have gotten to a point where where we came from doesn't really matter anymore, excluding recent immigrants that is. If you ask Britons "what they are", they will say British. They don't say "well, my mum's side has roman roots...". When I was back in the States, a polish lady once asked me "what I was" and she was shocked when I listed my 8 nationalities; she expected me to say I was just one thing. Well, my families have been here for *at least* 5 generations; some mixing up is bound to happen. sooo... that is all I have to say about that. :)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:42 AM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:

Oh, totally! America is pretty diverse; there are a lot of different cultures crammed into small spaces (like the city of Chicago) but they are really just watered down versions of the original. The only culture I've really gotten to know (before moving to the UK) is Mexican, and even that is not extensive. I've learned Spanish in school, but there is no NEED to learn anything else, really. And I am not even that good at Spanish because I don't use it regularly, so I've 'lost' it.

Back in the States a lot of people want to know "what you are"; like what country your ancestors come from, etc... because we are all immigrants (except Native Americans). My answer to that question is so long (I've got 8 different *known* genelogies) that I usually just say American. (ok, I am kind of going on a little rabbit trail here, bear with me!) I think people see America as the country with all the other countries mixed in it. Which is true, to an extent. Yes, we are still a young country, but I think we have gotten to a point where where we came from doesn't really matter anymore, excluding recent immigrants that is. If you ask Britons "what they are", they will say British. They don't say "well, my mum's side has roman roots...". When I was back in the States, a polish lady once asked me "what I was" and she was shocked when I listed my 8 nationalities; she expected me to say I was just one thing. Well, my families have been here for *at least* 5 generations; some mixing up is bound to happen. sooo... that is all I have to say about that. :)

Asking about backgrounds is a way of defining people, I suppose. Here in Europe, you just say which country you're from, but in a country as big as the US I suppose you need something more. Like you say, the majority have a background somewhere outside the US. I remember a long time ago in an English lesson, we discussed this whole melting pot vs. salad bowl thing. I still think melting pot is more accurate since people 'modify' their country's culture to fit into the American culture - or at least the culture where they live in the US :o)

In a way it must be exciting to have ancestors from different places in the world. As far as I know, all my ancestors come from the same area in the same country. The only 'interesting' aspect here is that technically, all my grand parents were born in Germany. The part of Denmark that I'm from was a part of Germany from 1864 to 1920. They all thought of themselves as Danish though so there's nothing exotic about me lol.

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
Interesting thread! ;)

I'm from South Korea. Well, I was born in Seoul, the capital of this country, but at the moment, I live in Chung-ju, which is a very small city and far from famous. I think the mountain scenery of Chung-ju is quite good. (I'll upload some pictures for the Flat Travis project later.) Humm, I cannot write very much about this city, though. There aren't many things very special. Anyway it's always great to see Travis fans from a lot of countries :)

spid
spid Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:35 PM Quote
I have been incredibly nomadic.

1) Born in Zambia where my father was teaching through VSO - stayed until i was 2 and a bit
2) then 6 months in England for my brother to be born, Gravesend, Kent to be precise) before going to
3) Saudi where my father taought the Saudi Airforce until I was 5
4) then back to Gravesend for 6 months
5) to a different part of Kent (Charing)for a whole 6 years unitl i was 11
6) then Manchester for 4 years
7) then Norfolk for 3 years
8) then Lincoln to University for 4 years - Constance Stewart Hall year 1
9) down hill Lincoln year 2
10) Nelson Hall year 3
11) unphill Lincoln year 4
12) then Suffolk for two years in rented for 6 months(when I satrted teaching)then
13) bought a house for 18 months
14) then got married and went to Boulmer, Northumberland in house number 1 for 1 year
15) in house number 2 for 1 year
16) then to Bently Priory, Watford for 14 months
17) then Maastricht, Holland for 3 years (woot woot - stability of a sort)
18) then Brampton Cambridgeshire house no 1 for 1 year
19) Brampton Cambridgeshire house no 2 for 2 years
20) then Linton-on-OUse, York for a year whilst hubby went to uni again
21) then High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire for 3 years
22) then The Falkland Ilsands for 1 year
23) now here Leuchars, Scotland - been here 16 months have another 10 to do then we shall be off again.

Does that beat you Moray?

As to where I am from - when I am asked that question my heart sinks! I tend then to ask what age the are thinking of. I'm from everywhere and nowhere - i have no roots and my family is scattered all around the UK. I must be identityless!

EDIT: i've added in some I forgot

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:43 PM Quote
Wow Spid, that's a quite impressive list! I can't imagine what it's like not to have roots in a specific place but then again, if you're used to moving around then why not?

How come you'll be moving again in 10 months?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:18 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:

Asking about backgrounds is a way of defining people, I suppose. Here in Europe, you just say which country you're from, but in a country as big as the US I suppose you need something more. Like you say, the majority have a background somewhere outside the US. I remember a long time ago in an English lesson, we discussed this whole melting pot vs. salad bowl thing. I still think melting pot is more accurate since people 'modify' their country's culture to fit into the American culture - or at least the culture where they live in the US :o)

ahhh...melting pot vs salad bowl! High school sociology!
America vs. Canada...the never ending fun of comparing immigration and mullticultural policies :S

spid
spid Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:40 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Wow Spid, that's a quite impressive list! I can't imagine what it's like not to have roots in a specific place but then again, if you're used to moving around then why not?

How come you'll be moving again in 10 months?

Hubby is in the Royal Air Force and as an h'officer he only gets jobs that last two years(ish) and then he is posted again to the next job. I don't like the moving around anymore but i have another 13 years to put up with and then he gets to retire!

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:49 PM Quote
wow spid! Of course you beat me, thats an incredible list of travelling exploits!!!

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:57 PM Quote
spid wrote:

Hubby is in the Royal Air Force and as an h'officer he only gets jobs that last two years(ish) and then he is posted again to the next job. I don't like the moving around anymore but i have another 13 years to put up with and then he gets to retire!

That makes sense. But do you think you'd get tired of living in the same place after 4 or 5 years?

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:58 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:

In a way it must be exciting to have ancestors from different places in the world. As far as I know, all my ancestors come from the same area in the same country. The only 'interesting' aspect here is that technically, all my grand parents were born in Germany. The part of Denmark that I'm from was a part of Germany from 1864 to 1920. They all thought of themselves as Danish though so there's nothing exotic about me lol.

I remember discussing the melting pot vs. salad, and I think our class decided it was more of a stew; kinda melted together, but there were still some big chunks on their own.

I suppose it is interesting to have ancestors from all over, but at the same time, there is no real identity. I mean I have 8 different nationalities, but I can't identify with any of them because no one culture has been passed down the generations. While visiting all the places I have so far, I am pretty jealous when people are part of a defined culture. Yes, I am American, but American culture is so young. It would be nice to say, "Well, it's been done this way for hundreds of years".
Meh, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:

Meh, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

You got that right. Gotta remember the bit about the stew :o)

I guess having a specific cultural background just isn't as exciting when you still live in that area. I think you become much more aware of your cultural background if you live in a completely different place.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 2:30 PM Quote
I live in Shrewsbury in England, UK. It's a town quite close to the Welsh border and has been here since medieval times. There are alot of tudor buildings here.

I was born and raised here, it's quite a pretty town, but don't want to be here for the rest of my life.

I lived out in Spain for a couple of years in a town called Castalla in the Valencia region. I go out there about 5 times a year and my boyfriend lives there. I may be moving back there soon, but we shall see!!

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Hi Nell!
I'm from Lima, Peru, but I live in Barcelona, Spain.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:12 PM Quote

..They say America is like a door-opener..I mean. You've got so many great cities in just 1 country...and it's (mostly modern...)

Well I live in Winterthur - near Zurich. For now. Zurich is way to expensive for me...But even if I could I wouldn't wanna live there. Remember Fran talking about Berlin? That he likes those many playgrounds and parks? Well Zurich is the exact opposite. It's like a huge Economic-City for all those businesmen. True with have the beautiful lake - but all around it they placed their buildings......Zurich is full of all those businessbuildings..Google, USB, CS ...don't really like them. Besides that - if you walk through Zurich it's actually hard to find someone who speaks Swiss-German...But lots of French, English, Americans...(gotta admit I even like that.. ;) )

The only thing I like is the university. Not as cool as those ones in America or England (with the park around it and those old buildings..) but if you standing on the top of it - you can see over the whole city - and the lake - and behind that the beginning of the mountains...

New Zealand must be cool with all this green (Watched LOTR ;) )

PS: Spid - that's amazing and also kinda shocking...do feel like home...anywhere? Maybe now :) ? ....

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:17 PM