Travis

Re: The
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:29 PM Quote
lestafox wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Lestafox: you from Leicester? Just with a name like that... :)

Yeah im from lesta, a LCFC fan and a Travis fan, if its the same in your case with "filbert" refering to filbert the fox then we are a rare species. In fact, evrything i support is going down hill pretty fast, is it just me??!! Am i bad luck??!! BTW is filbert looking like a squirel these days or a fox?

That's harsh though mate. Travis are flying with Ode and City are flying even higher! Top of the league. Ok, it's lower than we've ever been but the good times are coming back. And Filbert is cool. He's a genius whoever he is inside him. Do you get to many games?

Edit! Sorry, just realised we're talking in the Story of Ode thread! Haha.

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:42 PM Quote
Chinese Blues - a depressed state surely, he's got the blues. Why are they Chinese though?

"The day the warranty ends", an age in which he feels that any hope of personal fulfilment is beyond himself? He's blown his chances of happiness. "The number of the bus that's running him down", is that ghastly numerical age. It depresses him about the position he'sput himself in.

"The way (he) looks back" at the bus and the shadow - he's looking back on life. Everything around him, as distant as they may be from his persona situation, is telling him the wrost. The revelation that his life has been worthless, he wants to die.

How depressing.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:16 AM Quote
In Quite Free: There´s a boy i know so well and later There´s a place i know so well, to escape my tired spell...

It can be before of J.Smith

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:18 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Kimmy: I think it's J that dies right? I thought that had been said. I think it's J Smith himself that dies. In J Smith.

Chinese Blues (it's all a kind of confusion. Not knowing, not understanding, being out of control etc)
Song To Self (Lonely)
Quite Free (Wanting to be free? Wanting to take charge, be in control of his destiny etc)
J Smith (he dies)
Last Words (I think it's the suicide note)
Get Up (J is back on earth and he's "gotta get up" etc but at first he doesn't want to)
Before You Were Young

Where the others fit, and of course all that above is probably totally off anyway, i have no idea! :) Hehe.

in getup i think J. meets a girl, thats why the song is like positive and negative. the girl is saying you gotta get up, but J. doesn't want to.
but i think the girl is the one who dies, she commited suicide because J. didn't care. In athe last song J. realizes he loves her but its to late.

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:18 AM Quote
I'm trying to solve it little by little...

but I'm quite sure J Smith is Kurt Vonnegut, here's my points:

1.This album is dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut. -Why beign dedicated to someone who hasnt a real connection with Travis??

2.Vonnegut has typically used science fiction to characterize the world and the nature of existence as he experiences them. - Does the music and lyrics its not a way to characterize the world as the musician experiences??

3.Just as Vonnegut's prose style has often been characterized as honed-down, so too there is a spareness to his graphics. That is the chief distinction between the vigorously colored felt-tip calligraphy of the early 1980s and the later silk screened art. - maybe that's why the singles and Ode to J Smith has this kind of work... i mean, Vonnegut's artworks was different, but they're coloured!!!

4. Vonnegut attempted suicide in 1984 and later wrote about this in several essays - As try to do J Smith??

5. He died in April 11, 2007 - maybe when they're already planning the new album Travis decided to get this new path... an ode to one of their favourites writer/graphic artist??

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:21 AM Quote
erikausagi wrote:

1.This album is dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut. -Why beign dedicated to someone who hasnt a real connection with Travis??

2.Vonnegut has typically used science fiction to characterize the world and the nature of existence as he experiences them. - Does the music and lyrics its not a way to characterize the world as the musician experiences??

3.Just as Vonnegut's prose style has often been characterized as honed-down, so too there is a spareness to his graphics. That is the chief distinction between the vigorously colored felt-tip calligraphy of the early 1980s and the later silk screened art. - maybe that's why the singles and Ode to J Smith has this kind of work... i mean, Vonneguts was different, but they're coloured!!!

4. Vonnegut attempted suicide in 1984 and later wrote about this in several essays - As try to do J Smith??

5. He died in April 11, 2007 - maybe when they're already planning the new album Travis decided to get this new path... an ode to one of their favourites writer/graphic artist??

yea, there is a connection to all of this.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:23 AM Quote
erikausagi wrote:

3.Just as Vonnegut's prose style has often been characterized as honed-down, so too there is a spareness to his graphics. That is the chief distinction between the vigorously colored felt-tip calligraphy of the early 1980s and the later silk screened art. - maybe that's why the singles and Ode to J Smith has this kind of work... i mean, Vonneguts was different, but they're coloured!!!

That would be true!

This ALBUM is dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut. That means the WHOLE ALBUM. All the history, art and lyrics

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:25 AM Quote
Kurt Vonnegut married his childhood sweetheart. BYWY????

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:45 AM Quote
i think there's a connection with kurt, based on him could be, but not taking all aspect in his life.
You're breaking our brains Fran! haha, like it!
I was on bus thinking, hearing, imagine.
I don't know, but i think, J. and the girl, cannot be on the same "time" or "space" they can't talk anymore "But i'm sad you're not around" But J. is sorry about everything he made. And always loved that girl.
So Fran? will we know the thruth one day?

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:45 AM Quote
double post again

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:46 AM Quote
Double post.}
Please Fran! Write a book! XD

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 4:01 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Double post.}

The double post curse! xD

Jesus, do you know something about some clues in the artwork?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 4:03 AM Quote
J Smith is the one that dies.

Yes, would be great to actually read the story. :)

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 4:18 AM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Double post.}

i'm searching...an eye...an eye...i can't understan more the Something anything, a holed heart... but this eye, is open, looking, But that's all i know. I don't know if it's refered to the original book, with this ilustration in which tells "someone like you"
hahaha, Fran is really putting my Brain in work

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 6:34 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
RaZzZ wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Double post.}

i'm searching...an eye...an eye...i can't understan more the Something anything, a holed heart... but this eye, is open, looking, But that's all i know. I don't know if it's refered to the original book, with this ilustration in which tells "someone like you"
hahaha, Fran is really putting my Brain in work

And the mouth in Song to Self?

Pages Previous 1...6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:22 AM