Travis

Re: This was on my mailbox today...
mili
mili Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 8:33 AM Quote
Here it's even illegal to copy music from your own copy-protected cd to your mp3 player or computer, not to mention any other "dubious" methods of acquireing music.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 12:48 PM Quote
auronsquall wrote:
this totally reminds me of that scene in transformers where the guy surrenders by saying "i've only pirated 10000 songs on the internet!" lol

i think Fran's attitude is really the realistic and should be the norm for how downloading is dealt with. I usually do the same, i mean thats just the same thing as goign to a record shop and sampling a CD, if i havent heard it, why would i buy it? (besides O2J Smith of course haha)

I agree with you (and Fran) that this is the way it should be ideally - if people hear the music first and like it, they should then buy it. But unfortunately I have my doubts that most people really would buy music they've already got for free. Some would - like us as fans - but casual music listeners, probably not.

If every band said its ok to download music illegally it would surely have a negative impact on the music industry. Of course economically it's been in decline for ages, but if the only thing that makes people hesitant to download illegally at the moment is that it's not fair on the musicians, then surely their condoning it would be the nail in the coffin for music selling.

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Tue 07 Oct, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
More on this here >>>
Fran Healy defends music downloads

Quote:
Fran Healy has claimed he doesn't care about fans pirating his music because they are still promoting it for him.

The Travis frontman - who attended the Q Music Awards at London's Grosvenor Hotel - said just by searching for his music to download for free, fans are doing him a favour.

Fran said: "If someone downloads an album, if they search for that record, they're a fan of the band. They download that record, that record (that's) 76p to manufacture.

"They get it for nothing - really you're paying the 76p for doing the most important job there is in the business which is word of mouth. If you made a great record and they are gabbering about it, these are the people that create the hype you know that's kind of important."

The singer confessed he had downloaded music illegally himself, saying: "Generally people who don't buy music are 12-year-old kids who can't afford it. I did it you know.

"So there's two schools - the ones that do buy and the ones that don't buy it. There will always be people that don't buy it and there will always be people that do buy it. It's fine. The people that do buy it will prop up the industry and keep it all going."

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 7:07 PM