Craig
Craig Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
i bet james aint intrested in meetingthe fans and chatting with them

Re: Be honest. How many bands are better than Travis right n
oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
Craig wrote:
i bet james aint intrested in meetingthe fans and chatting with them

I'd go over to their messageboard and read all the stories from the recent US tour if I were you, before coming up with rubbish like that.

Craig
Craig Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
One band. James.

Let me explain my logic. Like Travis, they've suffered for years from negative music press after a period of being their darlings (Gold Mother period compared to Good Feeling / Man Who period) despite maintaining a loyal following and having live shows that really take the recorded output of the band to new levels.

Both have come out with possibly the best albums of their careers this year and have done relatively well chart-wise despite minimal promotion whilst continuing to sell well live. As with Travis, James showcased their new material with a series of gigs before recording the last album (James played nineteen new songs over two nights in Hoxton last September without the comfort net of a second set). Where James, in my view, go past Travis, is the variety of sound they produce on record and live, probably down to the fact James are a seven-piece. James continually change their setlist throughout a tour, playing both new material but keeping the "greatest hits" fans happy at the same time, and bring new arrangements to songs with improvisation, both musically and lyrically. And whilst Fran is one of the most engaging and lively frontmen around, Tim Booth definitely shades him in that respect.

i couldn't disagree with you more.

TRAVIS ARE THE BEST AND ALWAYS WILL BE END OF AND NO ONE OR ANYTHING WILL CHANGE THAT IN MY MIND

Mandy
Mandy Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:15 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:

I'd go over to their messageboard and read all the stories from the recent US tour if I were you, before coming up with rubbish like that.
Uhh...I know you. You always been on the Travis forums?? I just remember you from the Keane Forum days :) See your still a big James fan ey :)

oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:20 PM Quote
Craig wrote:
oneofthe3 wrote:
One band. James.

Let me explain my logic. Like Travis, they've suffered for years from negative music press after a period of being their darlings (Gold Mother period compared to Good Feeling / Man Who period) despite maintaining a loyal following and having live shows that really take the recorded output of the band to new levels.

Both have come out with possibly the best albums of their careers this year and have done relatively well chart-wise despite minimal promotion whilst continuing to sell well live. As with Travis, James showcased their new material with a series of gigs before recording the last album (James played nineteen new songs over two nights in Hoxton last September without the comfort net of a second set). Where James, in my view, go past Travis, is the variety of sound they produce on record and live, probably down to the fact James are a seven-piece. James continually change their setlist throughout a tour, playing both new material but keeping the "greatest hits" fans happy at the same time, and bring new arrangements to songs with improvisation, both musically and lyrically. And whilst Fran is one of the most engaging and lively frontmen around, Tim Booth definitely shades him in that respect.

TRAVIS ARE THE BEST AND ALWAYS WILL BE END OF AND NO ONE OR ANYTHING WILL CHANGE THAT IN MY MIND

Not much point having you contribute to what to date has been a reasonably balanced debate then is there?

Craig
Craig Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 4:37 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
Craig wrote:
oneofthe3 wrote:
One band. James.

Not much point having you contribute to what to date has been a reasonably balanced debate then is there?

so i take it you rate james as a better band and act than travis? how do you rate keane compared with travis?

oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
I'd put them on a par. Keane are dealing in different circles at present given that they are one of the biggest bands in the country.

Based on their recent albums, I think Keane's album is probably slightly better than Travis's as I don't think the Travis album quite captures the rawness of the songs which is their strength, but Travis are significantly better live than Keane.

Keane are more focused on Tim as the creative force rather than Travis being based around more of the band. Tim is still a lovely guy though, very humble and unassuming, bumped into him at the Astoria gig last night and he's not changed a bit since 2003. Not a big fan of the other two though, whereas Travis are all perfectly charming and open to their fans, as you pointed out earlier.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:39 AM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
i should be

did i mention their UK tour in December?

Ha ha Athlete are supporting - will be a fantastic double bubble of a night!

Oh, and on the Travis vs Coldplay debate, I'm firmly in the T camp. Coldplay leave me cold...no pun intended.

But I digress. Back to the nonsense of this thread.....

joss
joss Posted Tue 29 Dec, 2009 4:12 PM Quote
KASABIAN! any comments?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 29 Dec, 2009 4:14 PM Quote
Great band. I love Kasabian. Not better than Travis though. ;)

joss
joss Posted Tue 29 Dec, 2009 5:16 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Great band. I love Kasabian. Not better than Travis though. ;)

Yes, but for me are Kasabian better now, sorry TRAVIS ARE THE BEST!:)

leticia
leticia Posted Tue 29 Dec, 2009 6:23 PM Quote
What a thread...

Travis is the best thing right now. It can't compete with anything. No band makes me feel the way Travis does.

:))))))))))))))))))

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 29 Dec, 2009 6:24 PM Quote
Did you see best songs of the noughties on tv over Christmas ? - It just makes me scratch my head , I know some were new and refreshing (as it stated Franz Ferdinand was) but better than Travis songs? , definately not. Snow patrol admitted a flukey success with 2 chords - Is this what it is down to? Only Kaiser Chiefs and Coldplay and Gnarls Barclay deserved this imo, the rest was just average - this is not a biased view. I just dont get it ...

( re GB they say the age of the album is dead ?! - might be in their case )

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:16 PM Quote
It is a biased view. Because it's your view, your opinion. ;) Snow Patrol are brilliant, Kaiser Chiefs are not. That's what i think.

Nell
Nell Posted Wed 30 Dec, 2009 1:16 PM Quote

Hahah this is kinda weird...reading all this. Cos as Ben already said, it's a matter of opinion.

I love lots of bands, which I cureently listen more to than to Travis, but just because I found some new songs or my shuffle puts them into that part. order.

Like: Greg Laswell, Amy MacDonald, Collective Soul, Damien Rice, Eels, Killers, Joseph Arthur, The Verve. Tote Hosen, KOL..

though..every second track is Travis again. So for me Travis is still #1. I love some songs of other bands, but the sparkling feeling's missing.
So no :) Travis is still the best band in the world, in my opinion.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:11 AM