Travis

Re: Battling with depression
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 1:49 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Poor Grinner , heh , she meant well , who knows , drinking to excess , might be a form of depression or could, cause it .

Sorry?? Are you saying something about my drinking? I really don't wanna be getting personal here but I don't appreciate people trying to analyse me. I know too well what it's like to be depressed, and I know that I'm pretty happy with my life, thankyou.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 2:17 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Erm, when I was on it I turned into a numb zombie! People react differently to meds, it's not gonna be the same for eveyrone.

Same here Grinner :( Was awful...

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 5:52 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Erm, when I was on it I turned into a numb zombie! People react differently to meds, it's not gonna be the same for eveyrone.

Same here Grinner :( Was awful...

Correct, but it can also be because of the medication your were on, and how long you took them. If antidepressants (particularly those which boosts your serotonin, and not calming pills, pshychotrop or sleeping pills) you must take them at least 2/3 weeks for the meds to affect your system. And still it might not work for you indeed. But psychotrop are a totally other range of meds for example.

EDIT i'm talking about second generation antidepressants

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 7:15 PM Quote
I've been having a pretty tough time lately with my fiance. He was self harming and had been signed off work and seeing a psychiatrist and it's been taking it's toll. I haven't really had anyone to go to about this, apart from his own family. I can't really confide in my own family as they are so judgemental and see mental illness as a bad thing. It's bad for the person suffering from it but can be just as bad for the loved ones too.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 7:31 PM Quote
Tracey982 wrote:
I've been having a pretty tough time lately with my fiance. He was self harming and had been signed off work and seeing a psychiatrist and it's been taking it's toll. I haven't really had anyone to go to about this, apart from his own family. I can't really confide in my own family as they are so judgemental and see mental illness as a bad thing. It's bad for the person suffering from it but can be just as bad for the loved ones too.

Are you feling better now ? Are you getting some help ?
How about your boyfriend ?

Depresion affects the "depresive one" but also partners.
It is the same as cancer where everybody suffers except that depression also makes you feel guilty and exposes you to comments such as "it's a question of will", "depression isn't an illness" and so on...

Good luck to you.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Poor Grinner , heh , she meant well , who knows , drinking to excess , might be a form of depression or could, cause it .

Sorry?? Are you saying something about my drinking? I really don't wanna be getting personal here but I don't appreciate people trying to analyse me. I know too well what it's like to be depressed, and I know that I'm pretty happy with my life, thankyou.

Hey , was just saying that drinking can be associated and that was a maybe .....?

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 7:56 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
Tracey982 wrote:

It is the same as cancer where everybody suffers except that depression also makes you feel guilty and exposes you to comments such as "it's a question of will", "depression isn't an illness" and so on...

Good luck to you.

Getting there slowly but surely. I'm trying to be the stronger one for the both of us but it's bloody hard! I haven't really talked to anyone (ie. GP, counseller etc) about it but maybe I should.
It angers me that people can be so ignorant about this kind of thing. One of my family members said that anyone that has mental illness are schizophrenic...how bloody ridiculous is that?!?!?!

Thank you for the good luck.
x

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:16 AM Quote
*sighs*

I cant help thinking this thread title should have been "Feeling a bit down"

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 11:02 AM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
*sighs*

Well I had to write something....
Who are you to judge people's mental condition?
Abs Ginger has already explained that she suffers from depression, hasn't she? She was the one who started this thread...
And let the people who aren't depressed write whatever they want for Gods sake!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 11:43 AM Quote
*sighs*

Why?

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 11:47 AM Quote
Tracey982 wrote:
AbsGinger wrote:
Tracey982 wrote:

Good luck to you.

Getting there slowly but surely. I'm trying to be the stronger one for the both of us but it's bloody hard! I haven't really talked to anyone (ie. GP, counseller etc) about it but maybe I should.
It angers me that people can be so ignorant about this kind of thing. One of my family members said that anyone that has mental illness are schizophrenic...how bloody ridiculous is that?!?!?!

Thank you for the good luck.
x

A friend of mine had to be the strong one for a couple of years when her husband went through a devastating depression. When he finally got out of it she then got depressed and had to take meds for about 2 years. Holding and struggling for 2 is hard, particularly since you explain you have no real compassionate support around you. Why don't you try to speak about it to someone? Maybe a counsellor could advice you? I don't mean you should get counselling but perhaps a person like a counsellor would know of groups, phone lines, whatever that could help.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 12:17 PM Quote
*sighs*

Thanks for yr input - interesting as usual !

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 12:21 PM Quote
I wasnt judging anyone.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 2:58 PM Quote
I wasnt judging anyone.

I'm sure, really.

Still can you explain why you see it like that?

To me it looks like you haven't understood what we're talking about.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 3:02 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:

To me it looks like you haven't understood what we're talking about.

LMAO

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:19 PM