Travis

Re: Sarah
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 12:08 AM Quote
I decided my favourite parts of Sarah are the begining and the ending. The piano is so so so beautiful. But it's really hard to say because the whole song is so perfect.

minsidesoutside_lds
minsidesoutside_lds Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 3:18 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
I'm in love with this song. I love the way the piano drives it along as it lilts away. I love that lyric "I'm not keeping time". I'm very much enjoying Fran in storytelling mode

AGREE AGREE AGREEEEE!!!

CLEAR?

LOVEABLE SONG... SNIF SNIF '.'

SALUTESSS, TRAVIS! XXX

joemono
joemono Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 8:53 AM Quote
Two things:

1. Someone said Sarah reminded them of Ben Folds. I'll take that a generation further and say that Sarah is early classic Elton John. It's brilliant.

2. This song has been stuck in my head since I heard it. That's about two days now, and it has yet to overstay its welcome.

Wow!

Love,
Joe

joemono
joemono Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 9:46 AM Quote
Okay, I'm playing this on repeat at this point.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 10:06 AM Quote
Don't play it too much, I had it on repeat for about half an hour last night and I got a bit bored by the end. I'm giving it a rest for a couple of days, I'm sure it will sound brilliant again after that :D

spid
spid Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 11:09 AM Quote
It is a mixture of Fran's voice and the piano and the lyrics. I think many of us here can relate to Sarah (in my case it's vodka though!). Fran's voice is incredibly evocative and brings out the futility in the song, the slight 70's feels to the end make it timeless in a 'muzak' type of way, the constant wave of notes from the piano are like time dripping relentlessly by (SO well done Claes - I look forward to hearing him tickle those ivorys live).

I am pleased to hear this track b side, a side, album, hidden or whatever - just so pleased we got it.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 12:36 PM Quote
joemono wrote:
2. This song has been stuck in my head since I heard it. That's about two days now, and it has yet to overstay its welcome.

ditto! Not remotely bored of it yet. It's the first thing I go to on my mp3 player, it's in my head all the time and it's nowhere near outstaying its welcome. Quite probably my fave Travis song of all time.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 12:46 PM Quote
The piano reminds me of some of Abba's slower stuff(And I'm meaning that as a compliment). Definitely agree that its an absolute classic. I could imagine it being covered by other artists, its got that kind of universal appeal to it.
Don't think I would like it as a hidden track though - its so annoying when you want to listen to 'Sailing Away' or 'Blue Flashing Light' and you have to fast forward for ages, and then you miss the start and have to rewind again!!

Swan269
Swan269 Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 1:15 PM Quote
This song kind of reminds me of "she's always a woman to me" by Billy Joel. This track is truly a graceful song that winds us down the path of "Sarah"...wonder who she is Fran?

silvella
silvella Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 1:23 PM Quote
joemono wrote:
Two things:

1. Someone said Sarah reminded them of Ben Folds. I'll take that a generation further and say that Sarah is early classic Elton John. It's brilliant.

I totally agree with you! The first time I heard it, I've thought it WOULD BE an Elton John cover!!! It really sounds like the young (wonderful) Elton! Might be a tribute...?

It's a perfect ballad to me: sad, it tells a story, and a piano melody...

Oh Sarah
You used to say you were lucky
Now your luck's running off down the stairs
To the arms of another

Won-der-ful!!!!!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 3:00 PM Quote
spid wrote:
It is a mixture of Fran's voice and the piano and the lyrics.

It's definitely one of Fran's best (recorded) vocals ever, it sounds so intimate, I wonder if it was done live or in one take or summat.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
Absolutely beautiful - quality song writing!

Clow
Clow Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:22 AM Quote
Oh, I'm listening to Sarah right now
and I'm in luv with it!, beautiful <3

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 9:18 AM Quote
it's like the best b-side ever and i'm not even biased - or maybe i am ;D
anyway, it's so so beautiful! <3

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 03 Jul, 2008 12:21 PM Quote
I bet this would be beautiful live, with just Fran and Claes on stage. Here's to hoping!

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:18 PM