Travis

Re: Dear american boardies
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Zed. Please. (rolls eyes)

Ive got the UK on my side!
We should start a pole because Im not sure what other english speaking countries say beyond that.

Yes, let's start a pole. And run a flag up our pole.

(remember how you said mocking = love?)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:40 PM Quote
Kristy, Brian's old business partner is Canadian and he says aboot.

I believe you that you don't though.

I'm a fan of the Canadianish pronunciation of sorry.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
POLL!

Was he from like...Newfoundland? Where people actually talk funny? I have never, in my whole life as a human being (we wont talk about before that), met someone that says "aboot."

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
POLL!

Was he from like...Newfoundland? Where people actually talk funny? I have never, in my whole life as a human being (we wont talk about before that), met someone that says "aboot."

Did you ever watch DeGrassi Junior High? They abooted from one end of the show to the other.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
I actually started a "pole"

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:02 PM Quote
I'm kinda sad we elected the right person...I wouldn't have minded being a British colony again :o(

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:19 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POLL!

Did you ever watch DeGrassi Junior High? They abooted from one end of the show to the other.

nope. Degrassi never struck my fancy. And I was like 8 when it was on. I want names of these people who "abooted." Was it Spike?* Bc she got all knocked up and stuff. We shouldnt trust her.

*is that her name? This is based on the fact that Degrassi the New Generation is on WAY too much.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
sebnemy wrote:

P.S. Do you know that you cannot find anything that tastes like Dr. Pepper (root beer, etc.) in this country (Turkey)? Not a big deal for me--since I do not like it. But might be an interesting note on pop culture.

Dr. Pepper is NASTY!
I don't like root beer either. BLAHHHHHH!

agree about the Dr. Pepper. it tastes like prune juice or tree bark. I do like rootbeer though.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:28 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Why do people in California say "tock" when they mean talk?

Ummmm, how do you say it? Do you pronounce the l?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:33 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

yes i was confused by that too. Please explain.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:03 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This is hard to explain, Californians pronounce it like more of an ahh sound, as in tick-tock. Midwesterners pronounce it with more of an aww sound, talk. Does that help?

P.S. NOOOO we don't pronounce the L! Ha ha ha!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:05 PM Quote
I think we should all record ourselves saying these words our own way and post them on youtube. This is getting confusing!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:
POLL!

nope. Degrassi never struck my fancy. And I was like 8 when it was on. I want names of these people who "abooted." Was it Spike?* Bc she got all knocked up and stuff. We shouldnt trust her.

*is that her name? This is based on the fact that Degrassi the New Generation is on WAY too much.

I never knew there was a New Generation. I remember Degassi Jr. High and then Degrassi High. And I was way too old to be watching it when I was watching it, but we didn't have cable back then. Anyway, the only character names I remember were Spike who had the baby and Caitlin. That was the first time I had ever heard the name Caitlin and I thought it was cool. Now every Tom, Dick and Caitlin is named Caitlin.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:10 PM Quote
Spike's kid, umm, Emma, Emily, something like that, is one of the main characters on the new show.
Ask Nikki. I think she watches it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Spike's kid, umm, Emma, Emily, something like that, is one of the main characters on the new show.
Ask Nikki. I think she watches it.

Emma. I remember that too. And the Asian kid--Yick?

Oh, and I found a perfect example of Canadian sorry. In the Anne of Green Gables movie, when Gilbert Blythe tells Anne he was sorry he ever said anything about her hair. That was after he snubbed her at the Christmas Ball.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:47 AM