Travis

Re: The Mixtape Exchange (THE DRAW)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 6:47 PM Quote
that sounds awesome Moray! Anne, what is the cd's name? My post office person didnt have me fill out a customs form thinger. I think i should have questioned that.

German cd's sound fun! German is such a fun sounding language. When at German airports, i like listening to what sounds like drunken English on the speakers.
Who would want a birthday present when they could have a Gebortstaggeschenk! I dont know if i spelled that correctly.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 7:10 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

All right my Aberdonian friend. (Aberdeenite? Abderdeenian? what's the correct term?)

I hope you get mine done and to me soon. Very curious to hear it.

Aberdonian is correct!

Well, I had a right shitty day at work. but my day has just turned around completely. All because Anne's cd arrived through the post. And it cheered me up no end!

Because:

1) The description from customs was "mixtape CD filled with awesomness"
2) It came with the nicest most rambling letter ever
3) it came with a drawing, from Aidan, of Wall-E
4) It came with a cd with foam stickers stuck on
5) it has an awesome name, that i'll let Anne tell you!

All this and Ihaven't even got round to putting the CD on yet - I had to come straight on and thank Anne very much for absolutely and totally making my day today.

Thanks Anne. :o)

Yeah!!!!! I am surprised that I got Aberdonian correct. Cool.

I'm so glad it got there. Seems like these things do come on the days when you need them most. I thought you'd like my customs description. I am glad you appreciated my ramble. I panicked a bit after I sent it when I realized how rambly it was. I knew you'd like the Wall-E pic. I had intended to let Catherine do the foam stickers on the CD cover but she had gone to bed so I did it myself. (Moray and I had talked about my limited artistic skillz would mean he probably wouldn't have good cover art.)

The name of the CD is.... Taradiddle

(And I am using the second meaning of the word)

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

German cd's sound fun! German is such a fun sounding language. When at German airports, i like listening to what sounds like drunken English on the speakers.
Who would want a birthday present when they could have a Gebortstaggeschenk! I dont know if i spelled that correctly.

Geburtstagsgeschenk, yeah, that's a great word. (And once you've said it, with all the "gs"-sounds you've earned receiving that present ;) )

Drunken English? Are you serious? :D That's one of the nicest descriptions I ever read of my language - usually people say it sounds like gunfire or just like one single "rrkhöazgstsch"-sound ;) I'd love to hear German with the ears of a foreigner just for one minute.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:47 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I'm so glad it got there. Seems like these things do come on the days when you need them most. I thought you'd like my customs description. I am glad you appreciated my ramble. I panicked a bit after I sent it when I realized how rambly it was. I knew you'd like the Wall-E pic. I had intended to let Catherine do the foam stickers on the CD cover but she had gone to bed so I did it myself. (Moray and I had talked about my limited artistic skillz would mean he probably wouldn't have good cover art.)

The name of the CD is.... Taradiddle

(And I am using the second meaning of the word)

ooooh my god, I wish I had thought about something more creative now, this is seriously cool!!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
ooooh my god, I wish I had thought about something more creative now, this is seriously cool!!!

Well thanks. It was more silliness than anything. My son has been drawing lots of Wall-E pics so when I saw Moray liked that movie that was an easy thing to throw in there.

I'm sure yours is great in a way that represents you!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 1:26 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Geburtstagsgeschenk, yeah, that's a great word. (And once you've said it, with all the "gs"-sounds you've earned receiving that present ;) )

Drunken English? Are you serious? :D That's one of the nicest descriptions I ever read of my language - usually people say it sounds like gunfire or just like one single "rrkhöazgstsch"-sound ;) I'd love to hear German with the ears of a foreigner just for one minute.

i was hoping you would think that was funny and not to take offence to it.

Darran
Darran Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 12:28 PM Quote
Mine is on it's way!

mili
mili Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:43 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
lilly wrote:

Well thanks. It was more silliness than anything. My son has been drawing lots of Wall-E pics so when I saw Moray liked that movie that was an easy thing to throw in there.

I'm sure yours is great in a way that represents you!

I received my cd today (thanks Lilly!!!), and it looks lovely. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the track listing is very interesting. The cd was inside a Hugendubel paperbag and there's a nice letter with background information attached. I wonder how Lilly knew that i just adore their wrapping material (I have two cloth bags of theirs in regular use). The cd is called "Tragik und Schönheit des Lebens" (tragedy and beauty of life). I'll come back with comments and track listing later.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 3:18 PM Quote
I just got a sweet mixtape in the mail today! Yay! It's got Flight of the Conchords, and the Old 97's and G. LOVE on it! Haha! So I already love it. ;D

(Sandy, yours is in transit!) More thoughts later!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 3:19 PM Quote
I will get around to doing it this weekend, if I can stay out of the pub.

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 4:11 PM Quote
mili wrote:

I received my cd today (thanks Lilly!!!), and it looks lovely. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the track listing is very interesting. The cd was inside a Hugendubel paperbag and there's a nice letter with background information attached. I wonder how Lilly knew that i just adore their wrapping material (I have two cloth bags of theirs in regular use). The cd is called "Tragik und Schönheit des Lebens" (tragedy and beauty of life). I'll come back with comments and track listing later.

Really, you like the Hugendubel-wrapping material, too? I love the pattern, it's such a pity the cloth bags don't like my washing machine very much. I just used it to save the cd-case from breaking (and I thought it'd be nicer to use some Munich-related thing rather than just some wrapping paper) - if I'd known you like Hugendubel-stuff, I'd send you a cloth bag with the cd ;)
I realised today that I totally forgot to put the damn Munich-POSTCARD I bought for you in the package, so you're going to get that as an extra ;)

(Hope your player doesn't mess up the CD info, mine does that all the time *sighs*)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
YaY! Tracey got hers. :) But I will let her tell you about the songs I chose and whether she likes 'em or not! :P

mili
mili Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

Really, you like the Hugendubel-wrapping material, too? I love the pattern, it's such a pity the cloth bags don't like my washing machine very much. I just used it to save the cd-case from breaking (and I thought it'd be nicer to use some Munich-related thing rather than just some wrapping paper) - if I'd known you like Hugendubel-stuff, I'd send you a cloth bag with the cd ;)
I realised today that I totally forgot to put the damn Munich-POSTCARD I bought for you in the package, so you're going to get that as an extra ;)

(Hope your player doesn't mess up the CD info, mine does that all the time *sighs*)

Oh, yes, I love Hugendubel's pattern. When I saw their shop in Berlin, I just had to go in and buy something to get the wrapping stuff ;^) The shops seem to be the same everywhere, I always thought the Marienplatz one was unique when I lived in Munich.

The cd info was lost, but it wasn't a big problem, I just typed them in again.

So, here's my VERDICT

Lilly’s cd tracklist:

Tragik und Schönheit des Lebens…

Sonnenallee – Graeme Jeffries
Im Taxi Weinen – Kettcar
Know Your Onion! – The Shins
Four – Juno Falls
Wonder Who – Larry Yes
If You Fall – Azure Ray
All The Faces – Goldrush
Einer Wie Wir – Erdmöbel
Puff, The Magic Dragon – Bonnie Prince Billy
Let Go – Frou Frou
Rainbows Of Colours – The Sunday Drivers
The Opposite Of Everything – Juno Falls
Before And After Rain – Stringmansassy

A lovely cd over all! A tad melancholy, perhaps? I hope it’s not how you feel, Lilly!
The only two songs I knew in some other format were Einer Wie Wir and Puff, The Magic Dragon.

Sonnenallee – a lovely song about one of my favourite German cities, Berlin.
Im Taxi Weinen – Still have to find the lyrics in written format, didn’t quite follow it. Nice song by a band from yet another favourite city, Hamburg.
Know Your Onion! - what a funny name for a song! I have to concentrate on the lyrics a bit closer. I like onions.
Four – song number four, of course! I knew of Juno Falls touring with Travis, but never really heard their music, very good!
Wonder Who, If You Fall and All The Faces – I can imagine listening to these a lot in the future.
Einer Wie Wir – I laughed aloud when I heard this and recognised One of Us by Joan Osbourne. It’s one of my hubby’s favourite songs, and it was refreshing to hear a new version of it. Not bad, actually! I quite like the sound of German (Rammstein are very impressive). When I lived in Munich in 1995 this was on the radio a lot:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G_D9h1xM0_0

Another song by Die Fantastischen Vier that was played a lot that time was Sie ist weg, of which a very amusing verision was made to “commemorate” the resignation of Rudolf Scharping. The original:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=if0J7tWgEFM&feature=related

Puff, The Magic Dragon – Awww, this was one of my favourite songs when I was small. My cousins lived in the USA and they sent me this single by the Peter Pan Players and Orchestra some time late 1960’s or early 70’s (no year provided, it’s price was apparently 39 cents). I still have it, my kids loved it, too. They also liked the B-side “Sweetie Bear”. My version was much jollier and faster, so I never really caught the melancholy in it before. Such a sad story.

The rest of the songs are very good, too.

So all in all, a very good mix, I love it! Thanks for turning my horrible Friday into something beautiful, Lilly!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
I just got a sweet mixtape in the mail today! Yay! It's got Flight of the Conchords, and the Old 97's and G. LOVE on it! Haha! So I already love it. ;D

(Sandy, yours is in transit!) More thoughts later!

Yay! I was scared you might not like it. Can't wait to get mine! By the way, I wanted to add about 4-5 Flight of the Conchords songs, but I didn't have room!

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
mili wrote:

A lovely cd over all! A tad melancholy, perhaps? I hope it’s not how you feel, Lilly!
The only two songs I knew in some other format were Einer Wie Wir and Puff, The Magic Dragon.

Sonnenallee – a lovely song about one of my favourite German cities, Berlin.
Im Taxi Weinen – Still have to find the lyrics in written format, didn’t quite follow it. Nice song by a band from yet another favourite city, Hamburg.
Know Your Onion! - what a funny name for a song! I have to concentrate on the lyrics a bit closer. I like onions.
Four – song number four, of course! I knew of Juno Falls touring with Travis, but never really heard their music, very good!
Wonder Who, If You Fall and All The Faces – I can imagine listening to these a lot in the future.
Einer Wie Wir – I laughed aloud when I heard this and recognised One of Us by Joan Osbourne. It’s one of my hubby’s favourite songs, and it was refreshing to hear a new version of it. Not bad, actually! I quite like the sound of German (Rammstein are very impressive). When I lived in Munich in 1995 this was on the radio a lot:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G_D9h1xM0_0

Another song by Die Fantastischen Vier that was played a lot that time was Sie ist weg, of which a very amusing verision was made to “commemorate” the resignation of Rudolf Scharping. The original:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=if0J7tWgEFM&feature=related

Puff, The Magic Dragon – Awww, this was one of my favourite songs when I was small. My cousins lived in the USA and they sent me this single by the Peter Pan Players and Orchestra some time late 1960’s or early 70’s (no year provided, it’s price was apparently 39 cents). I still have it, my kids loved it, too. They also liked the B-side “Sweetie Bear”. My version was much jollier and faster, so I never really caught the melancholy in it before. Such a sad story.

The rest of the songs are very good, too.

So all in all, a very good mix, I love it! Thanks for turning my horrible Friday into something beautiful, Lilly!

aaaah, I'm so relieved you like it!
and yes, it's a tad melancholy, I guess that's just how part of me feels all the time (just a bit, don't worry ;) )

Why did you have a horrible Friday? :(

The Kettcar lyrics are here.
Don't worry if you cannot follow the lyrics, I myself have my difficulties understanding what exactly they mean by, for example "jeder bringt sich selbst allein nach haus
und fast vernünftig aber raus die kuh vom eis und was es heisst, ab jetzt wird eingetauscht". Really, I've known that song for years and I still can't say what it means ;)

Erdmöbel's text is here.

For a long time, I thought Puff was a happy song, too. And then I had a close look at the lyrics and realised it's really sad. I love the melancholy in it.

I'm really glad you like the CD :)

Ohhh my GOD, Fanta 4!! I remember exactly how we all used to shout "Die Da" and "Sie ist weg" at the top of our voices, on the schoolyard, everywhere. :D Do you know "MfG"?
They're the only Rap/Hip-Hop band I like :)

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:52 AM