Travis

Re: USA Elections
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:29 PM Quote

So this election has become all about Minority groups.. Either the USA has a black president or a female vice president...

Personally I wouldn't give a fuck if it was a one legged spanish heamaphradite lesbian single mother as long as they were actually qualified to be a politician never mind fucking president.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:47 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

So this election has become all about Minority groups.. Either the USA has a black president or a female vice president...

Personally I wouldn't give a fuck if it was a one legged spanish heamaphradite lesbian single mother as long as they were actually qualified to be a politician never mind fucking president.

Dubz

The candidate has to be a natural-born citizen of the U.S.A., so being Spanish would make her ineligible. ;o)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 2:27 AM Quote
nesmap wrote:
Nikki wrote:
nesmap wrote:
When are the elections?

Tuesday, November 4.

November? Fucking 'ell! Miles away. I thought it was like next week with all the things in the news...

US elections go on FOREVER!

There are expecting to call an election here soon. If its done this week, the election will be in October. Quick and to the point.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 3:49 AM Quote
Our presidential elections are scheduled for every 4 years. The primaries start at the beginning of the year of the election around March. Those go on until all 50 states (including Guam, American Samoa, territories) have had their primaries or until there's an outright winner. Then they move onto the conventions. Right now the Democratic convention is going on and then next week it'll be the Republican convention. There they nominate their parties candidate for president. Then the candidates campaign until November. It's a long long process. A lot of the hullabaloo started a while ago when each candidate announced they were going to run for president.

ricv64 wrote:

Like it or not it's what we got . Third party attempts are within their right and I wish it could happen but voting independent has siphoned off votes and generaly fucked things up .

I'm pretty sure I didn't say vote Independent. I just said you shouldn't identify yourself and your political views by labeling yourself a certain way.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 4:44 AM Quote
McCain is mental , when he goes up to make his big speech it'll consist of nothing but various birdcalls and then the entire dialogue from The Deerhunter russian roulette scene

" what america need (call of the red billed warbler McCain spins around)

THREE BULLETS MOTHERFUCKER!...
(crouches , heron squaks)

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
VAMOS OBAMA !

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 3:00 PM Quote
http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/mccain.jpg

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/09/emergency-party.jpg

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 8:42 PM Quote
I was listening to McCain's speech yesterday on NPR where he introduced Sarah Palin as his VP choice. I swear to God I heard him say "she'll put her needs before yours" ... I know it was a slip up, but I was like ":O WHAAAT???? He did not just say that!" LOL! Yeah, the dude is too old to be president. Yesterday was his 72nd Birthday for crying out loud. I have a lot of respect for him for serving this country and whatnot and I think he's a hell of a lot smarter than Bush, but I just think it'll be more of the same. We need a change.

And I agree with you Lauren about the whole red and blue America. Everything is so polarized now. I have pretty liberal beliefs, but I'd vote for a republican if he was the better choice. I just don't think he is in this case.

I keep hearing that Hillary Clinton supporters are now going to vote for McCain because he has a female VP and they're bitter about her losing out to Obama and pissed she wasn't chosen as his VP. Believe me, I want to see that "glass ceiling" shattered, but how can you just up and change your entire political views like that JUST because she's female? I sure as hell am not and I love Hillary. McCain's choice was all strategy. It was based on her gender and not her qualifications.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
Yeah, they're called PUMAs which use to stand for People United Means Action, but it now stand for Party Unity My Ass. They're people who believe that Obama was elected by leadership rather then the voters. Some are urging others to vote for McCain or boycott the election all together. Which is totally retarded (excuse the language). Letting McCain win by default is almost or just as bad as voting for him. These people are just sore losers. Here's a good example

The Daily Show @ DNC

nesmap
nesmap Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 11:21 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
nesmap wrote:
Nikki wrote:
nesmap wrote:
When are the elections?

Tuesday, November 4.

November? Fucking 'ell! Miles away. I thought it was like next week with all the things in the news...

US elections go on FOREVER!

There are expecting to call an election here soon. If its done this week, the election will be in October. Quick and to the point.

You Americans don't do things by half, I tell ya!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 30 Aug, 2008 11:59 PM Quote
so Boris Johnson could eventaly become US president right ?

" threee bulllllllllllits Mutha Fucka " - McCain

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:32 PM Quote
not-the-same wrote:
if a party here in Germany would hold such a convention, people would think they're crazy to spend so much money on it^^ (no offense!!)

And I guess we will never really understand why Americans seem to put so much emphasis on the "how a candidate says something" instead of the "what she/he actually says". To many Germans, US campaign speeches sometimes sounded like... like sect-recruiting-speeches or someting like that. Of course we know it's not like that, but it's hard to understand this *I'm all in*-euphoria US candidates seem to provoke amongst their supporters. (Or maybe Germans are just extra-sensitive when it comes to political euphoria?)

Oh my, I should go and buy a TIME Magazine soon, should read it regularly this year (as one of my final exams next spring will be on US politics *sighs*)...

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 11:14 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
*I'm all in*-euphoria US candidates seem to provoke amongst their supporters. (Or maybe Germans are just extra-sensitive when it comes to political euphoria?)

Given the past that is understandable.

mili
mili Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 11:36 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I keep hearing that Hillary Clinton supporters are now going to vote for McCain because he has a female VP and they're bitter about her losing out to Obama and pissed she wasn't chosen as his VP. Believe me, I want to see that "glass ceiling" shattered, but how can you just up and change your entire political views like that JUST because she's female? I sure as hell am not and I love Hillary. McCain's choice was all strategy. It was based on her gender and not her qualifications.

Finland has a female president who got elected mainly because she's a woman. She's a social democrat, and even some conservative people voted for her because of her gender. I think it's sad. Of course it was great to have a female president in theory, but then they voted her to the second term, too. I really can't wait for her term to finish, as then she can't be a candidate anymore (roll on 2012).

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Finland has a female president who got elected mainly because she's a woman.

Right, the one who looks like Conan O'Brien

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:12 AM