Travis

Re: Students are a Bunch of Fgas
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
varz wrote:
True. Also I don't get the people who go to uni to do management - go find a shop + work your way up! Takes way less time!

I am not sure of this is taking the piss anymore, coz my sense of anything has flown away , but in loadsa places having a degree in management or whatever will get you more of a chance to suceed than if you have just worked.

I'm going to be doing Business at Uni methinks, but I think I'm going purely for the social life haha.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 5:29 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
varz wrote:
True. Also I don't get the people who go to uni to do management - go find a shop + work your way up! Takes way less time!

I am not sure of this is taking the piss anymore, coz my sense of anything has flown away , but in loadsa places having a degree in management or whatever will get you more of a chance to suceed than if you have just worked.

I'm going to be doing Business at Uni methinks, but I think I'm going purely for the social life haha.

Haha.. at least you admit it!!

I'm thinking of some sort of Business Course at night school some of the stuff I'm doing at the moment is a little over my head.

Dubz

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
varz wrote:

Haha.. at least you admit it!!

I'm thinking of some sort of Business Course at night school some of the stuff I'm doing at the moment is a little over my head.

Dubz

I also admit I wanna go to either Manchester for the fellas, or Edinburgh for a few bands I like there. I don't give a shit about my actual education haha.

Yeah Business course sounds like a good idea, what sorta stuff you finding tricky?
I'm doing a Business AS level, I don't understand a fucking thing!! hahaha, I'm just a pretty face :P

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
varz wrote:

Done.

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 7:07 PM Quote
Totally with you on the business studies and business management types.

Degree's in that should definitely be reserved for those who are experienced in business and are at the stage where they want to go a step further.

varz
varz Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 7:32 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
varz wrote:

Done.

Yup, a lot of my friends did the same thing.

I'm at uni for the social life too, but at the end of the day I want a degree and a good job!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 6:15 AM Quote
Why are people bashing my profession and the four hard years at university it took me to get a job as a journalist? There are quite a few boardies taking media studies right now and are currently training to become journalists. Believe me, you NEED at least a bachelors degree to even get into the smallest weekly newspaper. Knowing how to write, edit and design is an art and to be a journalist you have to be ethical and driven. I don't appreciate that my career choice is being called "useless" or "airy fairy" and I can bet a number of my fellow journalism boardie friends would agree. Seriously guys, I'm getting kind of tired of defending my profession in here. I don't bash on anything you're passionate about.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 8:29 AM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:

I went to Uni and slogged my arse off for 5 years to get a degree in Engineering. A pre-requisite to do the job I wanted.

At least if you're going to rip into students, quantify it with the airy fairy courses like media studies.

Nikki went to college for four years and worked hard to get a degree in Journalism. A prerequisite (you don't need the hyphen) to do the job she really wanted. I don't really think one type of degree is any better then another, as long as it gets you to where you want to go.

And you would know media studies is airy fairy because...

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 9:45 AM Quote
I think that in the ideal world your talent e.g. to write would be enough to be a journalist. But as no one will even talk to you about giving you a job if you don't have a degree, saying that kind of studies is useless is something I don't really understand.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:52 AM Quote
varz wrote:
Then I agree with morayswan on his whole media studies thing... Useless!

Who shays so? Ah...yes nobody important or who knows anything about it.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:59 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Why are people bashing my profession and the four hard years at university it took me to get a job as a journalist? There are quite a few boardies taking media studies right now and are currently training to become journalists. Believe me, you NEED at least a bachelors degree to even get into the smallest weekly newspaper. Knowing how to write, edit and design is an art and to be a journalist you have to be ethical and driven. I don't appreciate that my career choice is being called "useless" or "airy fairy" and I can bet a number of my fellow journalism boardie friends would agree. Seriously guys, I'm getting kind of tired of defending my profession in here. I don't bash on anything you're passionate about.

Because as I already said those people are either nobodies or they don't know anything about what they're talking about...and I shall add their navel is probably the centre of the planet they live on... and humour is on another constellation!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:01 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I think that in the ideal world your talent e.g. to write would be enough to be a journalist. But as no one will even talk to you about giving you a job if you don't have a degree, saying that kind of studies is useless is something I don't really understand.

In an ideal world...which doesn't exist.
I guess in an ideal world anybody could be anything just based on their talent...hum...good thinking but just totally imaginary.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:06 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:

That's my point exactly. So you need this 'useless' degree to get a job.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:22 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
sorry angel wrote:

That's my point exactly. So you need this 'useless' degree to get a job.

I shall concur dear formermediastudentmate!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 2:18 PM Quote
Right on sisters!

I knew I wasn't the only one reading that whose jaw dropped. I was like "EXCUSE ME?!?!?" I busted my ass at university to get a degree in order to become a journalist. So no, you can't just walk up to the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine or newspaper and say "Hi! I can write! Hire me!" I'm really surprised some of you thought this was the case.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:28 AM