Travis

Re: What is the capital of Germany?
lilly
lilly Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:42 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
CULTURAL ISOLATION! Yes, that's what I wanted to say! I agree, well said Lukey whose boat is painted green.

How is American culture forced upon you? I was so surprised when people were naming their favorite TV shows, that most of them were shows from the US. I figured every country would have their own great shows.

Is it mainly the TV and film industry at fault? You get our images, then you get our movie stars, then music and fashion follow and before long it just becomes a tidal wave of stuff?

The American movie/tv industry has a lot of $$ and therefore a lot of power. Thus, it is widespread throughout the world.
Also things like McDonalds, Starbucks etc are pretty much taking over.

Hah, and I study in a city where we DO NOT have a SINGLE Starbucks ;D

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:43 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
lilly wrote:
I mean, do people actually USE the words "Freedom Fries" and "Liberty Cabbage"?

NO

LOL that's what I thought. But I have to thank the inventors, really, because the idea itself was entertaining for us for a while ;D

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:26 PM Quote
I only know of one Starbucks and it just went in last year.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:47 AM Quote
I totally agree with Luke.

I was going to say something else but I can't remember what it was... I'm getting old.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 1:39 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
lilly wrote:
I mean, do people actually USE the words "Freedom Fries" and "Liberty Cabbage"?

NO

Jeeze , as a gun totting redneck fuckwad I take offense at Austin dropping the ball there Anne . Now go play with you Anti Bush propoganda .

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 3:24 AM Quote
Freedom fries was more of an isolated incident. Albeit a completely stupid one.

Capital Hill has... well, a capital building and a bunch of office buildings all around it. Two representatives, one who was on the committee of of house administration which oversees stuff like the cafeteria and the snack bars, decided to put it to a vote. They did and decided to change the name of the fries. This was one of the most dumbest things ever because...

1. The French embassy in DC didn't give a rat's ass. I believe they pointed out that fries come from Belgium. Whoops House of Reps! Strike one.

2. The fact that they actually wasted time to put this to a congressional vote when our country was in the perpetual crapper. Strike #2! Someone needed to be sunk at the bottom of whoops ocean...

mili
mili Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:07 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
CULTURAL ISOLATION! Yes, that's what I wanted to say! I agree, well said Lukey whose boat is painted green.

How is American culture forced upon you? I was so surprised when people were naming their favorite TV shows, that most of them were shows from the US. I figured every country would have their own great shows.

Is it mainly the TV and film industry at fault? You get our images, then you get our movie stars, then music and fashion follow and before long it just becomes a tidal wave of stuff?

The American movie/tv industry has a lot of $$ and therefore a lot of power. Thus, it is widespread throughout the world.
Also things like McDonalds, Starbucks etc are pretty much taking over.

Hah, and I study in a city where we DO NOT have a SINGLE Starbucks ;D

AFAIK there's not a single Starbucks in Finland. Plenty of McDonald's, though, and Finnish versions of the theme. Funny, I've seen a Finnish burger place, Hesburger in Hamburg (didn't go in!).

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:12 AM Quote
Ok, maybe I am changing the topic a little bit but which one is worse? Being ignorant or being prejudiced? I will go with prejudice because ignorance is easier to cure...

When it comes to geographical and cultural knowledge people in some countries may come across as being more ignorant than others. But it is much easier to handle compared to prejudices, which are not necessarily personal but cultural, deeply embedded in the ways we think about other cultures. In a way it is a mechanism (people) we developed to feel better about being "us" not "them." Isn't it true that every country like to place themselves in the center of the world map, literally? Maps in europe have Europe in the center, maps in the states have the american continent in the center. I am not informed about the maps in China but I would not be surprised if they have China in the middle. However, since prejudices are so deeply embedded in our culture they are much harder to get rid of compared to ignorance. Education can be a solution to ignorance but it is not a cure for prejudices because systems of education are tailored according to the cultural prejudices as well. People look for clues that verify them, not falsify.

In short, let's be aware of our prejudices and try to get rid of them, no matter where we come from.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Kristy wrote:
Nikki wrote:

MoreThanMe was trying to single me out because I'm American and ask me to answer a geography question. I find that very insulting. Too bad for him that I had the answer right and he had it wrong. Makes my argument that much stronger.

Maybe he was asking you (singling you out?) because you seem to have an opinion about a lot of things :)

? So what.

So, always best to ask an outspoken person's opinion on something of that nature.

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
btw, Mónica: how would you translate "self-fulfilment"? Can I say "realización personal"? And could you say "realizar mis sue~nos?"
Oh AND then I have another question: Was the "Ley de Igualdad" actually passed in parliament? Or is it still in the making? I'm so confused by all the texts I read...

Self-fulfilment: I would say relizarse a uno mismo. But it's just a guess ;)
Realizar mis sueños: hacer mis sueños realidad.
Yeah, the Ley de igualdad was passed last year I think. Check this site in case you're interested ;)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
Isn't it true that every country like to place themselves in the center of the world map, literally? Maps in europe have Europe in the center, maps in the states have the american continent in the center. I am not informed about the maps in China but I would not be surprised if they have China in the middle.

I think you have a good point, and I agree with what you say in your post. But I wanted to say that maybe this (what I quoted) is a 1st world countries thing, because here in Argentina there's absolutely no one who places our country in the center of the world map. We (argentinians) all know where we sadly stand in world geography: always a dominated country (politically, culturally or economically speaking) :oP

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:51 PM Quote

Awww shut the fuck up

Yer a bunch of gun totting semi-psychotic fucing maniacs.

I'm also guessing here you have some pretty weird ideas about other countries...

The Scots g0 about wearing kilts all day
Saudi Arabia is a totally backward country when it comes to the female vote
The French are ....well French to be honest
Spaniards are lazy because they have a siesta

Dubz

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 7:02 PM Quote
You forgot to mention the fiesta :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Awww shut the fuck up

Dubz

you left out ignorant , bible thumping , i'm offended . please opoligize for leaving the Christain right out of your statement , or Maryhill will be Toast !

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 8:12 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Awww shut the fuck up

I'm also guessing here you have some pretty weird ideas about other countries...

The Scots g0 about wearing kilts all day
Saudi Arabia is a totally backward country when it comes to the female vote
The French are ....well French to be honest
Spaniards are lazy because they have a siesta

Dubz

We also have Carla Bruni and Sarko !

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:54 PM