Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 2:49 PM Quote
Kristy, I was just wondering if Canadians go "sledding" or "sledging?"

Re: Kristy's Guide to Canadian Pronounciation
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 2:59 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Kristy, I was just wondering if Canadians go "sledding" or "sledging?"

ha! i just had this convo the other day (also, funny as I was thinking about my video on the drive to work today). We go sledding, or toboggening.
Ive only ever heard of a sledge, until last week, with reference to sledge hockey.

http://www.webcommunications.ubc.ca/ubc2010/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/sledge_hockey6229.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:02 PM Quote
Sledge hockey looks like a finger amputation waiting to happen.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:09 PM Quote
I assume this was brought on by Fran's post?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:47 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I assume this was brought on by Fran's post?

Only partly. I first saw the word last winter, and thought the person was just trying to be cute. But then I saw all the Brits were using it. Now with all the snow, it's popped up again again. Just made me wonder which word the Canadians would use. Maybe you go sleoudging.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:58 PM Quote
We go GT Snowracer-ing!

http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/gt-snowracer.jpg

I wonder if that thing is still in my parents shed. Im going to find out, as we finally have snow. I havent been toboggening in years. I also want to go snow tubing this year.
This is the closest one to me at Glen Eden. You go down the hill on a big inflatable tube (as seen on the left side)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2330861187_3f3d3c6c38.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:11 PM Quote
Oh, that looks like fun! We have a couple Mt. Trashmores where we can go tobogganing close by. I secretly bought 2 toboggans before Christmas, the kids don't know yet. I also found, for the first time in YEARS, the snow block makers like I used to have. Excellent for building forts and igloos! I am champing at the bit to have a good packing snow.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:24 PM Quote
Your kiddies are going to freak out when they find out about secret sleds!

Here is my toboggening story of days gone by...

Pretty much the only vacation we went on as kids was to my cottage. Now im lucky if I get up for a weekend once every 2 years, but we used to spend weeks on end up there, and often for a week or so at Christmas break, March break, (spring break? whatever you people call it) etc.
So, the lane that my cottage is on was pretty abandoned then, especially in the winter, so we used to toboggen down it. But being like...2, my mom wouldnt let me go by myself, but I was a stubborn bit of a thing (some things never change) and didnt want anyone to ride with me. So, my dad would have to run along side of me, holding on the rope so that I didnt end up in the trees/highway at the end of the lane. and then drag the toboggen up to the top of the hill. And I would want to do that like 25 times in a row and Im pretty sure I nearly killed my father. In my head all of this is happening in a pink snowsuit, but Im sure it was some ugly hand me down from my brothers. Stupid being the youngest.

And then I would come inside and drink hot chocolate from my yellow charlie brown mug. awww.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:50 PM Quote
Do they still sell "magic carpets?" They were just sheets of very heavy plastic with a rope on the end. You slid down the hill and when you got off, the plastic would roll itself up into a tube so it was very light and easy to carry back up the hill.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:54 PM Quote
I dont know, but I was always told that those, and flying saucers (the round disc ones) were exceptionally dangerous because you can't control them at all.

But then again, I laugh in the face of danger. ha ha ha ha! (I watched Lion King last week)

mili
mili Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 5:18 PM Quote
As teenagers we used to race down a hill with trees in plastic sledges, no rules, first one down is a winner, until one girl broke her wrist…

This is a pretty typical Finnish downhill tool, we use Stiga snowracers, too

http://www.orthex.fi/upload/lastentalvituotteet/348x348/455.jpg

Our kids refuse to go sledging anymore, oh well.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 5:26 PM Quote
You can't control a plastic toboggan either. Those flying saucers aren't worth diddly-do because you always end up going down the hill backwards. Magic Carpets were great! Who needs control? We were after SPEEEEEED!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 5:34 PM Quote
The only ones Ive ever been on are the GT snowracer (that has breaks) and a classic wood one with the round bit at the front, that you can use your feet to control.

Control, only paramount to speed when you are about to run into a rock/tree/old man/small child. Unless they deserve it.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 07 Jan, 2010 11:07 PM Quote
Friends of my parents used to build a short homemade louge run. It was kind of scary going down because there weren't any walls and if you took the corner too fast you would end up on top of a wood pile. Guess where I landed and almost broke my arm? :P

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 08 Jan, 2010 4:49 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Your kiddies are going to freak out when they find out about secret sleds!

They made their debut yesterday and were received with shouts of joy from Rachel and even, "You are THE BEST!" from Max. I felt quite pleased. Rachel was a teeny bit disappointed that neither Max nor Violet is strong enough to pull her very fast. They came inside after about an hour, wet and frozen and cute as anything.

Pages Previous 1...39 40 41 42 [43] 44 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:52 AM