Travis

Re: anybody else know about aspergers?
Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:31 PM Quote
I have it, but I'm not sure I know everything about it. I found very little research on it, as people seem to lump it together with autism (which is very frustrating).

*thumbs up* to asparagus ;-)

Ruudio
Ruudio Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:36 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have laughed but I thought this was a post about Asparagus.

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/images/i-asparagus.jpg

Me too!

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:45 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
kim2007w wrote:
is that connected with drinking fizzy squash or E numbers

In Holland it is, but it is also connected with sugars. You can use slow sugers (like fructose and honey) but no fastsugers (like dextroses, cane sugar and raw sugar).
It seems to make the kids (and grownups too i guess) go a bit more slow and make them i bit less edgy:)

yup i have to cut out wheat, e numbers, certain sugars, its not easy but i manage

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:48 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
I have it, but I'm not sure I know everything about it. I found very little research on it, as people seem to lump it together with autism (which is very frustrating).

*thumbs up* to asparagus ;-)

dont u find that the support u get is not enough with finding jobs etc. how do u find ur social skills are affected?

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:50 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
kim2007w wrote:
is that connected with drinking fizzy squash or E numbers

In Holland it is, but it is also connected with sugars. You can use slow sugers (like fructose and honey) but no fastsugers (like dextroses, cane sugar and raw sugar).
It seems to make the kids (and grownups too i guess) go a bit more slow and make them i bit less edgy:)

I can imagen, it doesn't leave you with the "good" food. But my experience (i follow the no suger dieet for a different reason) is, if it works.. it is a little bit easier to keep to it.

yup i have to cut out wheat, e numbers, certain sugars, its not easy but i manage

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

dont u find that the support u get is not enough with finding jobs etc. how do u find ur social skills are affected?

Finding jobs are a nightmare. Have you tried speaking to the 'disability advisor' at your local Job Centre?

Social skills aren't too bad, but I prefer one-to-one conversations online. My main problems are sensory - especially sounds.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:
do u think people with disabilities or autism shud b treated differently?

I know a boy with autism who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to computers, but in his everday life, he needs a routine. If things don't go by routine, he gets upset.

In other words, it all depends on the disability whether you should treat people differently. I have a friend who can't use her left leg, so she has a brace on it. I do have to consider this disability, for instance we can't go for long walks unless she's in a wheelchair. But I don't consider this treating her differently cos I talk to her like anyone else.

I suppose it all comes down to not patronising people with a disability.

thats the thing i used to hate patronising people jus bcuz i hav a disability its not nice at all and i certainly wouldnt do it to anyone else. yup i have to have a daily routine too for example sleeping at the same time, starting and finishing work at the same time each day too. i cant give good eye contact either or have good social skills my confidence is very low.

id say i was very intelligent myself. this wont stop me from haveing a normal life, i do hope to get married and have my own children 1 day like everyone else does

For a start, I had no idea about your syndrome before today and you're perfectly capable of having conversations in this forum. Furthermore, your seem to know exactly what you need to do to have a life as close to "normal" as possible.

This reminds me of an initiative I heard about the other week. Here in Denmark there's a huge lack of qualified staff especially in the IT sector. Hence a man started an agency to help people with Asperger's to jobs in companies where they understand the needs of people with this syndrome. To me it sounded like both the companies and the new employees gained from it.

I can't claim to have the world's highest IQ, but I know it above average and trust me, it can cause problems even without any syndromes. I was always accused of sucking up to the teachers *sigh*. I'm sure that you're IQ has helped you understand what Asperger's is about though.

And no, I haven't heard about the special diet but it's cool if a diet can help :o)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:19 PM Quote
Sorry to butt in. But ive made you a south park character LOL
I'll send it to you tomorrow.

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:35 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:
do u think people with disabilities or autism shud b treated differently?

I know a boy with autism who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to computers, but in his everday life, he needs a routine. If things don't go by routine, he gets upset.

In other words, it all depends on the disability whether you should treat people differently. I have a friend who can't use her left leg, so she has a brace on it. I do have to consider this disability, for instance we can't go for long walks unless she's in a wheelchair. But I don't consider this treating her differently cos I talk to her like anyone else.

I suppose it all comes down to not patronising people with a disability.

thats the thing i used to hate patronising people jus bcuz i hav a disability its not nice at all and i certainly wouldnt do it to anyone else. yup i have to have a daily routine too for example sleeping at the same time, starting and finishing work at the same time each day too. i cant give good eye contact either or have good social skills my confidence is very low.

id say i was very intelligent myself. this wont stop me from haveing a normal life, i do hope to get married and have my own children 1 day like everyone else does

For a start, I had no idea about your syndrome before today and you're perfectly capable of having conversations in this forum. Furthermore, your seem to know exactly what you need to do to have a life as close to "normal" as possible.

This reminds me of an initiative I heard about the other week. Here in Denmark there's a huge lack of qualified staff especially in the IT sector. Hence a man started an agency to help people with Asperger's to jobs in companies where they understand the needs of people with this syndrome. To me it sounded like both the companies and the new employees gained from it.

I can't claim to have the world's highest IQ, but I know it above average and trust me, it can cause problems even without any syndromes. I was always accused of sucking up to the teachers *sigh*. I'm sure that you're IQ has helped you understand what Asperger's is about though.

And no, I haven't heard about the special diet but it's cool if a diet can help :o)

yeah im okay over the phone, talking online n stuff its mainly face to face chat that i find difficult but it is getting better. my main convo prob is face to face with girls!!

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:37 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:

Finding jobs are a nightmare. Have you tried speaking to the 'disability advisor' at your local Job Centre?

Social skills aren't too bad, but I prefer one-to-one conversations online. My main problems are sensory - especially sounds.

yeah i have spoken to my local job centre about it, the thing is getting employers to understand my last job B&Q they were complete assholes saying they were disability friendly n all they werent prepared to help at all

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
yeah im okay over the phone, talking online n stuff its mainly face to face chat that i find difficult but it is getting better. my main convo prob is face to face with girls!!

Yeah well I think this is the case for most men lol

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Sorry to butt in. But ive made you a south park character LOL
I'll send it to you tomorrow.

Who, me or...??

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:46 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:

Yeah well I think this is the case for most men lol

maybe ur right lol, speaking to guys is fine no problems but girls i find difficult sumtimes espically sumbody i find attractive

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:47 PM Quote
Yes you.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Yes you.

Well I made one myself but I'm really curious to see your version. I suppose this will show how you really see me lol

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:20 PM