Travis

Re: Are YOU Scottish?
Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 2:39 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Its weird how all the Irish people come on and go on about bein 'the closest thing to scottish', and 'near to scotland' and stuff...you ain't scottish and never will be! arghh!

Besides, you lot get plenty of publicity and popularity through St Patricks Day - and thats only because people wanna get drunk - who the heck has ever heard of St Andrew, and cares?! EEEK!

Oh come on, does it matter?

At the end of the day.....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/16410173_e61960e722_m.jpg

We're all Wednesday aren't we ;-)

dee
dee Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 3:31 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Its weird how all the Irish people come on and go on about bein 'the closest thing to scottish', and 'near to scotland' and stuff...you ain't scottish and never will be! arghh!

Besides, you lot get plenty of publicity and popularity through St Patricks Day - and thats only because people wanna get drunk - who the heck has ever heard of St Andrew, and cares?! EEEK!

actually dave i think you'll find that if you studied the genetic pattern of both populations of ireland and scotland, genetically both are more similar to each other than when compared with the populations of any other ancient civilisation.
of course Australia is also full of scots and irish but they are relatively speaking only new to the continent.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
dee wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

actually dave i think you'll find that if you studied the genetic pattern of both populations of ireland and scotland, genetically both are more similar to each other than when compared with the populations of any other ancient civilisation.
of course Australia is also full of scots and irish but they are relatively speaking only new to the continent.

I'm 'actually' well aware of that thank you :) especially having a small amount of irish in the maternal quarter generation on my mothers side. I'm saying, that just because of that I don't consider myself Irish. I'm purely saying that its odd that Irish people here are saying that because they are near, or have the blood or whatever - they are 'the next closest' or 'next best' thing or whatever - thats all :D

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:07 PM Quote
But it's true Dave, it's true otherwise we wouldn't say it!

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:12 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
But it's true Dave, it's true otherwise we wouldn't say it!

Wait...thats true, you wouldn't say it unless it was true...

dee
dee Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:21 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
dee wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

I'm 'actually' well aware of that thank you :) especially having a small amount of irish in the maternal quarter generation on my mothers side. I'm saying, that just because of that I don't consider myself Irish. I'm purely saying that its odd that Irish people here are saying that because they are near, or have the blood or whatever - they are 'the next closest' or 'next best' thing or whatever - thats all :D

i'm irish and i made no claim of the sort. you said "all the irish", two people have said anything like it. that is, from what i can tell from regular posters only 40% of the irish people here. and even if i did , so what?
millions of americans come here every year and if you ask them where they are from they will say they're irish even if it's the fifth generation of their family to be born in the states.

In modern culture feeling affinity is as close to family and traceable roots as many people will get.
I don't think you have the right to knock anybody's feelings of affinity with any group, even if you feel no such affinity towards ireland.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:26 PM Quote
dee wrote:
[quote="DavesUrMan"]

i'm irish and i made no claim of the sort. you said "all the irish", two people have said anything like it. that is, from what i can tell from regular posters only 40% of the irish people here. and even if i did , so what?
millions of americans come here every year and if you ask them where they are from they will say they're irish even if it's the fifth generation of their family to be born in the states.

In modern culture feeling affinity is as close to family and traceable roots as many people will get.
I don't think you have the right to knock anybody's feelings of affinity with any group, even if you feel no such affinity towards ireland.

Ok - since you're just not getting it, I'll spell it out. I made an OBSERVATION that its interesting that Irish people (in general, 2 or 3 on here) have made their 'affinity' known to Scotland, as if wanting people (eg the foreigers etc who are responding 'sadly' to not being Scottish) to be aware that, in their own words 'its close to it'. The observation was pointed out not just to this thread, but I see it all the time.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:34 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
dee wrote:
[quote="DavesUrMan"]

Ok - since you're just not getting it, I'll spell it out. I made an OBSERVATION that its interesting that Irish people (in general, 2 or 3 on here) have made their 'affinity' known to Scotland, as if wanting people (eg the foreigers etc who are responding 'sadly' to not being Scottish) to be aware that, in their own words 'its close to it'. The observation was pointed out not just to this thread, but I see it all the time.

Yeah we are educating the masses! Letting them know of our celtic bond! :-) sorry if we seem to drone on about it. lol (think I've mentioned it once). I have no interest in being SCOTTISH I'm happy who I am and where I have came from. lol

Grrrr @ the Irish Americans! That does my head in, esp when they ask you if you know someone! lol Sorry but Ireland is pretty big mate! :)

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:36 PM Quote
Yeah, It's Northern Ireland that is small. :-P

dee
dee Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 4:42 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
dee wrote:
[quote="DavesUrMan"]

the only reason i have responded like this to you is that usually you are the pedant.you obviously enjoy it and i don't see why you shouldn't. there was no need to spell anything out to me, i got what you were saying, i was just responding further to see where you'd take it. to be honest i'm a little disappointed that you turned to using capital letters to imply that i am in some way inferior because i didn't just lie down and agree with you.
maybe it was interesting to you, but to me it just seemed like a generalisation.

NeilJD
NeilJD Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:12 PM Quote
im a jock living in Norn Ireland

NeilJD
NeilJD Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:13 PM Quote
NeilJD wrote:
im a jock living in Norn Iron

sorry my wife always gives me a bollockig for putting norn ireland instead of norn iron

feri
feri Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:36 PM Quote
dee wrote:

Lol, this is true and I've seen it plenty of times in Canada.
Where are you from? Instead of saying Canada, they go
25% Scottish
12.5% Irish
12.5% British
50% Italian

The thing is, that's all great and all, but I don't think being Scottish or [fill in ethnic background] is just about where your ancestors are from. It's also about knowing the culture, the language and the way of life. I've seen so many 'Italians' (who are born in Canada) claim to be sooo Italian and all yet don't even know how to speak Italian.

Beatle Babe
Beatle Babe Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:29 PM Quote
feri wrote:
dee wrote:

Lol, this is true and I've seen it plenty of times in Canada.
Where are you from? Instead of saying Canada, they go
25% Scottish
12.5% Irish
12.5% British
50% Italian

The thing is, that's all great and all, but I don't think being Scottish or [fill in ethnic background] is just about where your ancestors are from. It's also about knowing the culture, the language and the way of life. I've seen so many 'Italians' (who are born in Canada) claim to be sooo Italian and all yet don't even know how to speak Italian.

Does my friggin head in - and for some VERY detailed reasons - especially the canadians

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:54 PM Quote
I'll think you'll find it's the other way around with Irish-Scots things... Aidan McGeady and his crew. I came over here on a plane with around 12 other Scots 11 of them claimed they were really Irish and they had Irish Grandparent's or some other distant relative of their's had drank a pint of Guinness once, Therefore that makes me Irish!! Feck off the lot of you. I have always considered myself purely Scots, even though I do have Irish descent and I have traced it back to my Grandfather who came from Sligo, Judge is just the angliscised version of Brehony as in Brehon Law. However I was born and raised in Scotland by Scots parents that makes me 100% Scots in my opinion. If I ever have children they will be brought up as Irish but I will always remain Scots.

And as Irvine Welsh said "It's Shite being Scottish." but I for one will never desert my heritage

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:58 PM