Travis

Re: Travisonline Reading Club
Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Tue 14 Jun, 2011 2:24 PM Quote
I've just finished "One Day" by David Nicholls. This book has been around a while and has been one i've been meaning to read so i finally did. It's good actually, or at least i thought it was. It's about a man and woman who know each other for 20 years and it's a constant, will they, won't they scenario. It might sound a bit chick lit like but it doesn't quite read that way.

There is also a film of this due out soon

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 17 Jun, 2011 5:01 PM Quote
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9XbJu0RwBiI/TR9mTUIQkBI/AAAAAAAADv4/79DpEDNgW7o/s1600/singyouhome.jpg

Currently reading this. About 1/4 way through and enjoying it.

Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Fri 17 Jun, 2011 5:48 PM Quote
Placing a hold at the library for Victor Hugo's Les Miserables...some of my friends want to go see the musical in a few weeks and I'd like to go in with a better idea of the storylines. :)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2011 8:30 PM Quote
I'm finally reading 'Life' by Keith Richards. It's hilarious and all kinds of awesome. A lot of random wild stories from the '70s. Very interesting!

I'm also struggling to finish 'Jane Eyre'. Still nowhere near the end after 6 months!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 21 Jun, 2011 3:55 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I'm finally reading 'Life' by Keith Richards. It's hilarious and all kinds of awesome. A lot of random wild stories from the '70s. Very interesting!

I'm also struggling to finish 'Jane Eyre'. Still nowhere near the end after 6 months!

Oh my, I worked at a bookstore last year and "Life" KILLED me, lol (the German copy is really heavy!!).

Best of luck with finishing Jane Eyre ;D Had to read it for uni once (and Wuthering Heights, and some poems, and stuff about the sisters' lives *sigh*). I think I can safely say that I'm not a fan of the Brontë sisters (I'm more of a Jane Austen girl ;D)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 21 Jun, 2011 4:13 PM Quote
I really liked Jane Eyre! One of the few books I had to read for school that I actually kept and still re-read every now and then. Wuthering Heights...no!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 21 Jun, 2011 5:18 PM Quote
No way! I loved Wuthering Heights! I think reading the whole book took me just 2-3 days, it's amazing.

Haha, the UK edition of Life is really heavy too! I saw it in a paperback edition couple of days ago, I guess it's more handy :)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:49 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9XbJu0RwBiI/TR9mTUIQkBI/AAAAAAAADv4/79DpEDNgW7o/s1600/singyouhome.jpg

It seems that she writes at least one book a month. Something new is always being advertised!

My latest 'commuting' book has been 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. It's amazing. It's written from the point of view of a 5 year old boy who finds out that there is a world outside the room in which he had spent his entire life with his mother who was kidnapped 7 years earlier. It's very sad and scary (not in a thriller kind of a way but rather psychological). Very beautifully written, I highly recommend it!

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:53 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

My latest 'commuting' book has been 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. It's amazing. It's written from the point of view of a 5 year old boy who finds out that there is a world outside the room in which he had spent his entire life with his mother who was kidnapped 7 years earlier. It's very sad and scary (not in a thriller kind of a way but rather psychological). Very beautifully written, I highly recommend it!

i was just reading a preview of this and added it to my library queue! glad to read a good review from someone i actually know!

varz
varz Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:05 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

It's an amazing book, I read it on holiday and totally coulnd't put it down.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 04 Jul, 2011 3:19 PM Quote

Julie Corbin - Tell Me No Secrets. An easy summer read.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 04 Jul, 2011 11:31 PM Quote
Before I go to Sleep

http://crimeandpublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/SJ-Watson-Before-I-Go-To-Sleep.jpg

WOW! Amazing story about a woman suffering serious amnesia after suffering an accident. Psychological thriller type. I couldn't put it down! Excellant debut novel for the author!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 11 Jul, 2011 6:54 PM Quote
I'm not sure if I've already recommended this on the board, but if you care about Victorian novels AND postmodern fiction, you *have* to read
The French Lieutenant's Woman (by John Fowles)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 12 Jul, 2011 8:50 PM Quote
The Bay At Midnight - Diane Chamberlain

Any Jodi Picoult fans would like Diane's novels.

mili
mili Posted Thu 14 Jul, 2011 4:56 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
I'm not sure if I've already recommended this on the board, but if you care about Victorian novels AND postmodern fiction, you *have* to read
The French Lieutenant's Woman (by John Fowles)

His "the Magus" is quite brilliant. I've read it twice, at 18 and 42, and it had a different effect on me both times.

I just finished Desert by J.M.G. Le Clézio, an amazing book about, well, desert (North Africa) and two people from there in two different times.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:54 PM