Travis

Re: Ode To J. Smith release date - Sept. 29
erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:54 AM Quote
a thursday for release... okok, usually it's monday but, what else if the tentative date is september 18?? they could change the date isn´t??

they aren't coldplay -thanks God!- but whatelse? we, the fans, will be with them even its monday, thursday or sunday!

and, yep, I wish to be Song to self or before you were young!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:27 AM Quote
erikausagi wrote:
a thursday for release... okok, usually it's monday but, what else if the tentative date is september 18?? they could change the date isn´t??

they aren't coldplay -thanks God!- but whatelse? we, the fans, will be with them even its monday, thursday or sunday!

and, yep, I wish to be Song to self or before you were young!!

You're right when you say that for us it doesn't matter what day it is. :) But with 4 days of sales against all the other singles with 7 days of sales, it won't chart well. Whatever it is, it might miss out on the top 40 which would be terrible for such a wonderful new era of the band. Song To Self deserves to chart very well. A Thursday release...

And if we're only talking about the single being for us fans, the band shouldn't bother releasing anything as we have it already. :)

heich
heich Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:45 AM Quote
who cares about charts and sales? maybe some guy in a suit from a label or something like that but not me

whether its the #1 or #10000 i really dont care, i will like and enjoy the album because of its songs and not because of how high or low it ranks

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:30 AM Quote
heich wrote:
who cares about charts and sales? maybe some guy in a suit from a label or something like that but not me

whether its the #1 or #10000 i really dont care, i will like and enjoy the album because of its songs and not because of how high or low it ranks

Who cares? Uh...I think Travis cares. I get what you're point is...it's about the music, not about the $$$. BUT...you can't just say that it doesn't matter. If the new Travis album were to completely flop, no one bought it and it didn't get played on the radio (God forbid!)...you probably wouldn't be able to ever see your beloved band for much longer because they wouldn't be able to continue together like that. We will all obviously enjoy the album because of the songs and not because of its position in the charts, but that stuff does matter.

heich
heich Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 5:51 AM Quote
yeah but thats a scenario that wont happen

and nowadays what matters the most for the bands are the live shows...of course its important how an album does but not as much as a concert. I think Travis cares about sales and charts but on a long term, and not how much they sale the first week. I think that if you ask one of them how much they sold on the first week, they wont even know what to answer, but they will surely say they hope "a lot".

also, Travis gets barely played on radio stations from different countries, and im sure that their sales on some of them are really low, still they go and make a gig cus at the end of the day the shows are how they make a living and no the records sales, thats just for statistics.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 8:23 AM Quote
WOW!

What a great new!

=)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 1:12 PM Quote
Well said Nikki. You're totally right. :) People don't seem to understand that it is important to the future of the band that they have at least a little success. Look at the tiny venues they've been playing in!

Also from a purely selfish point of view, I'd like to hear Travis on the radio now and again, see them on the TV, to not get "don't know Travis, what sort of music does he make". If Song To Self fails to hit the British top 40, the album sales will suffer. The number of people wanting to see the band will suffer. Our beloved Travis, will suffer.

-ivashjke-
-ivashjke- Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
well, you know, in many countries where Travis's sales are not high it's all about piracy. For example, here in Russia noone sales much because of pirates, I mean, not only Travis.
And the second thing is critics. I mean such magazines like NME influence on public opinion. And people go and buy what they are told to buy. And I don't really understand why those critics kinda hate Travis. Maybe you know? I mean "12 Memories" is a brilliant album, it's perfect. But it wasn't praised by critics. Some of them said that it was a poor try to make a radioheady album. I totally disagree with it. Maybe the world goes mad? What do you think about it?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
Illegal downloads/copies etc should be the same for every band really. What are big sales, it is selling more than everyone else. 3,000,000 British sales of The Man Who doesn't sound huge to me, but it is. Not many albums in history have done that. I saw a list somewhere and The Man Who is like the 20th biggest selling album in Britain or something!

Poor reviews do influence the buying public. All the more reason for the band to promote the album well.

The album is going to be AMAZING. Its just sad for it not to get some recognition. That's why I hope it sells well. And to help the future of my favourite band. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
We all need to get together and make this album the one that gets them new fans, hopefully this can be a big time for the board to all pull together and really achieve something :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
And critics don't hate Travis. I keep saying this, they got plenty of good reviews for The Boy With No Name.

NME gave The Invisible Band 8/10. :)

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
Yeah, but TBWNN got 2/10, and it's a lot harder to go out of popularity than it is to get in it. :(

I think OTJS has a good chance of doing just that though! :D *crosses fingers*

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:31 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
We all need to get together and make this album the one that gets them new fans, hopefully this can be a big time for the board to all pull together and really achieve something :D

Yeah i agree.
I just tell people that Travis are a great live band, (one of the best you will ever see) and you should not miss them if you have a chance to see them.
Also when i see a t-shirt with a band on it , i realy pay attention. If there was a Travis Ode To J Smith t-shirt for sale now, i would buy a few and wear them everywhere.
(By the way...did not have enough money on me to buy the Ltd edition Ts on sale at the Febuary gigs)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:35 PM Quote

What utter bollocks!

Who do you think we are? What on earth difference do you honestly believe the forum can make? Wakey wakey, there's only 10's of boardies, not thousands.

Yeah, but TBWNN got 2/10, and it's a lot harder to go out of popularity than it is to get in it. :(

As comments go, that makes much more sense than the previous.

Travis have an uphill struggle to win over the critics, when you consider the poor reviews that 12 Memories and TBWNN received. I hope that a: the critics have short memories and b: there's enough punch in the new material to change current perception.

Finally, to those who think otherwise, it is as much about making money as making music. It's about keeping a profile in the music industry, to enable the band to sustain a living while they continue to create new stuff. And as successful as The Man Who was in sales, Travis can't afford to dwell on past success. Not that I think they are, I hasten to add.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 29 Jun, 2008 4:43 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Who do you think we are? What on earth difference do you honestly believe the forum can make? Wakey wakey, there's only 10's of boardies, not thousands.

Er, thanks for that. There aren't many boardies but if we all sit here and do nothing then what reason have radio DJs got to play it? It's much easier to just give Rihanna yet another spin. However, there's enough of us here to mean that if we email DJs, if we put videos on our myspaces/facebooks/bebos etc, if we drag our friends along to gigs then word will get out.

I don't expect much, but that means that if we manage anything it will be a fantastic result.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:03 PM