Travis

Re: do you believe in life after death?
nats
nats Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 3:03 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

No.

When you die it's just like going to sleep... except you wake up deid.

and that was deliberate before anyone starts going on about how can you wake up dead

well, a long time ago I`ve dreamed that i waked up dead... but nobody noticed that i was dead, so they talked to me and behaved as usual... Only my brother noticed it but he said me that i shouldnt tell anyone because they were going to suffer... so, dead as i was, i continued with my life :s

nats
nats Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 5:35 AM Quote
and, unfortunately and sadly, i dont believe in life after death, wish I could but I can´t.

feri
feri Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 5:43 AM Quote
What is it with people thinking that it has to be either creationism or evolutionism!? Why should we limit ourselves to only one principle/theory?

I'm a science student and strongly believe in evolution. However, I also believe in God and I guess you can say I believe in afterlife, but I focus more on the belief in God. I don't consider myself religious, but I just don't see why we have to choose between evolution and creationism.

To me evolution makes sense, but at the same time, the human body and living things seem way TOO detailed, structured and organized to simply be the result of evolution.

I personally think Einstein put it best:
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'

feri
feri Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 5:49 AM Quote
I know I contradict myself cus I'm not 'religious' yet I post a quote of Einstein about religion and science. The idea of religion is good and I respect people who follow a religion, but I'm just not religious cuz it takes too much discipline lol so don't call me a hypocrite plz!

nats
nats Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 6:04 AM Quote
Dios mueve al jugador, y éste, la pieza.
¿qué dios detrás de Dios la trama empieza
de polvo y tiempo y sueño y agonías?

ajedrez 2 (JORGE LUIS BORGES) sorry i couldn´t get it in english.

ver tambien El Instante (borges)
el instante

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:52 AM Quote
I am not to sure on this subject. I think/believe there is somewhere else to go too when we die. What? i don't know. The feeling we have when a loved one dies: "that they are still with you" is i think a great way of remembering this person. You do things or make discissions based on your own judgement and what they would have thought about it. I also think there is a lot of people getting far to much grief in this life, so it should be "made up" to them in another life. (my twist on the Karma thing)
having said all this.......i don't think "the sixth sense" (Not the movie:)) kinda thing is complete bogus. well in short... i don't know. But a God? If he, she or it excists, then God should send the message to us humans that we are and remain responsible for every crappy thing on this planet ourselves. Don't blame God.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:32 AM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:
okay heres my theory on it, i think there is life after death and there is the next life. i believe wen we die we stay on this planet and we see dead people this may sound like aload of tripe to some of you but this is my take on it. then when we are in the next life we cant see the living.

My opinion on your opinion is fairly grave.
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. There are currently nearly 7 billion people on this planet, who will eventually all die. There have been at least 20,000 years of relatively well-documented history before us. ANd before that there have been hundreds of thousands of years of human presence (evolution or no evolution, humans have been known to be around that length of time). So that means all those humans (in whatever evolutionary state) have all died. Millions of people die every year on our planet - 10s if not hundreds of millions.
By your theory, there is everyone dead around to see, but no live people. That would constitute trillions of billions of people if everyone has the potential to be a ghost. That would probably mean one person for every 2 or 3 metres squared of planet earth - if not more.
That sounds like absolute hell to me - from apes to cave-men to modern man you would literally never be out of a crowd. Same ideas go for even if you only believe in 20,000 years of Earth/Human history.
Sorry i'm really tired and didn't explain that awfy well - och well - back to work!

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:46 AM Quote
it'd make me warm and fuzzy to think that i can spend the afterlife with my loved ones, but i'm also content with just dying and that being the end of it all.

i think a lot of ppl don't like the idea of being stuffed in a box 6 feet underground when they're dead. so my solution to that is just get cremated and spread back into mother nature..

there might be a god or gods or something other than gods and heavens beyond us, but i'd rather put my faith in what we know is around us.

Joe
Joe Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 10:09 AM Quote
It's always seemed a pointless question to me. There's nothing we can do about it either way, so why boher worrying?

It's like God; if he doesn't exist, then it doesn't matter that you don't go to Church, if he does exist, then it doesn't matter either because he's a forgiving Christian (being Christ) and will understand that you couldn't contemplate something of that scale.

Conclusion: Act morally in life, according to your culture and your peers, and even if there's no afterlife, your friends will be reward enough.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 10:50 AM Quote
Damn this thread title....I have started to hum "do u belive in life after love" la la la bloody Cher :)

Life after death?

Answer: NO!

I think it's all bollocks and should enjoy life for the now! I have been brought up with very religious parents who ended up pushing their views and religion on to me. Now I'm pretty much against it. I believe in believing in yourself and that you may have a guide/guardian angel....but when your dead? hummmm not to sure.

:-)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:28 PM Quote

Hmmmm,

The human mind is a weird and wonderful thing, I believe it also protects the "user" from certain things, like accidents, deaths etc, it takes a while to "sink in" also the "Fight or Flee" reaction, where mind and body work together to get you out of danger.

as such I believe that ghosts, afterlife, footsteps and whatever else you want to call them are all "tricks" of the mind, it is painful to loose someone to death and as such I think the mind may kick in subconssious thoughts, to make you believe that someone does simply not exsist any more, it deadens the blow by letting you believe theire soul, spirit or whatever carries on somewhere else.

btw I'm not saying this is a bad thing and you are stupid to believe it, in fact quite the opposite, I have always been a firm believer in doing what you like and beliveing what you like that is your choice, as long as you are not harming anyone I can't see any problem with believeing and acting how you like.

I have experimented with various substances (ahem) over the years and have found it fascinating how different stuff can affect you in different ways, also if you want to see what I mean try staying awake for a couple of days, by the time you get to around the 48hour mark you will start to "lose it" for want of a better phrase.

btw. Els, I loved both your comments and again while I may not agree with them, I hope to be proved wrong. Thank You

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 5:56 PM