Travis

Re: C'mon Democrats !
AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Anyway, regardless of who wins from Obama and Hilary, the Deomcrats easily have the two most charismatic and popular candidates for the next election. And barring a miracle, should easily get back in to office. Especially since the Republicans seem to have single handidly brought on a rescession in America.

Personally I would like to see Obama get it, since race relations in the states are so much more important than womens lib. It would be good for young black America to have such a positive role model.

Hillary's victory would set an unprecedent example for women all around the world.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
Since Emeline Pankhurst set an unprecidented example back in 191whatever, I think womens lib has been doing ok the world over.

I think a black American President would have much more cultural significance than a women. Especially since the UK has been there and done that.

Plus I think Obama is the stronger candidate.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Since Emeline Pankhurst set an unprecidented example back in 191whatever, I think womens lib has been doing ok the world over.

I think a black American President would have much more cultural significance than a women. Especially since the UK has been there and done that.

This is either totally unintentionnal or totally sexist or totally ironic...?

haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:

"I think a black American President would have much more cultural significance than a women. Especially since the UK has been there and done that."

Dude, head back down to the shallow end.

spid
spid Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Hillary's victory would set an unprecedent example for women all around the world.

Much as i like Hillary - i remember they said the same thing about Maggie Thatcher and that put us back a few years!

US politics confuses me.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:13 PM Quote
spid wrote:

... i remember they said the same thing about Maggie Thatcher ...

...but she was NO woman...

spid
spid Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
spid wrote:

... i remember they said the same thing about Maggie Thatcher ...

And her husband was no man either!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
spid wrote:
sorry angel wrote:

And her husband was no man either!

All makes sense now!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:22 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
MoraySwan wrote:
Anyway, regardless of who wins from Obama and Hilary, the Deomcrats easily have the two most charismatic and popular candidates for the next election. And barring a miracle, should easily get back in to office. Especially since the Republicans seem to have single handidly brought on a rescession in America.

Personally I would like to see Obama get it, since race relations in the states are so much more important than womens lib. It would be good for young black America to have such a positive role model.

"race relations in the states are so much more important than womens lib."

Says who? Both are important.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
haz wrote:
MoraySwan wrote:

"I think a black American President would have much more cultural significance than a women. Especially since the UK has been there and done that."

You could at least have been constructive, instead of just chosing to insulte me.

mili
mili Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:30 PM Quote
Clinton-Obama team would be good.

There has been other female leaders besides Maggie, but I suppose none in a country as powerful as UK or USA. They should have found a colored female candidate, so there wouldn't have been any competition between womens lib and racial issues.

Btw, our (Finland) president is a woman, but she hasn't got much power.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I didn't mean it like that Nikki, I didn't mean it wasn't important. I also wasn't being intentionally sexist - the opposite if anything, in that I don't see there being much if anything of a gender divide anymore.

Anyway, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but I'm not going to argue futher on this one. Moving on.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
haz wrote:
MoraySwan wrote:

You could at least have been constructive...

You where nowhere constructive in your statements yourself.

haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I didn't mean it like that Nikki, I didn't mean it wasn't important. I also wasn't being intentionally sexist - the opposite if anything, in that I don't see there being much if anything of a gender divide anymore.

Anyway, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but I'm not going to argue futher on this one. Moving on.

"I also wasn't being intentionally sexist - the opposite if anything, in that I don't see there being much if anything of a gender divide anymore."

Dude just keep on digging.

Advice: don't start in on things you can't defend when questioned.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:

I also wasn't being intentionally sexist - the opposite if anything, in that I don't see there being much if anything of a gender divide anymore.

That's much clearer now, thanks for that.
If there wasn't any issue about gender we would really see the difference around the world...and the obvious reality is that gender is still a very strong issue sadly.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:03 AM