Travis

Re: anybody else know about aspergers?
Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 12:31 AM Quote
KevInSweden wrote:
I basically have pretty bad concentration, I tend to answer questions people ask me but not actually know that I've done it. This of course has caused problems in the past, with work and with my girlfriend. I've got all the symptoms for the 'Inattention' part, but my Hyperactive periods fluctuate a lot (almost Bi-Polar).

I used to also be very quick to react to any stimuli, often without thought of the consequences. Nowadays I've managed to tone that down. My confidence is quite low because of the amount of trouble I used to cause and the reactions of people to it. A lot of negativity.

One thing that effects me a lot though is sensitivity to certain noises (which is little known about at the moment). Pens clicking, gum chewing, thumping bass, they can all cause me to get very stressed out. This was quite a recent development, within the past few years.

yes i know where your coming from there with the questions answered and problems with work and girlfriends. my confidence is quite low too as alot of people dont seem to understand about it and that sometimes when they do it scares them off or sumtimes puts them off as they see me as being anti social bcuz i cant give eye contact or i may answer something or say something incorrectly i lack the skills other people take for granted it is very difficult i was bullied at secondary school as a result of having aspergers which wasnt very nice, i really hate it wen people think you should b treated differently to others just bcuz you have aspergers or any other form of disability people will never know what its like until they have it or know someone close themselves who has.

but the social side is getting better than it was years ago i blame the mmr vaccine for autism. people with autism are genrally very intelligent people its just they come accross the wrong way sometimes that may put people off, i have trouble sometimes espically speaking to females with basic things like hello how are you? or saying goodbye.

one of my other problems is that i have had trouble at work as somebody with aspergers my mind needs to b kept active and doing the same thing at work everyday makes it hard to cope with thus y i asked to be moved round to stop myself getting stressed eventually the bastards became unwilling to help so in the end i had to resign

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 12:51 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have laughed but I thought this was a post about Asparagus.

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/images/i-asparagus.jpg

asparagus is lovely

KevInSweden
KevInSweden Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 1:00 AM Quote
I'm not too great at looking people in the eyes whilst taking either, though I do try to maintain eye contact. The problem is I don't know whether I'm staring or not if that makes sense.

Quote:
but the social side is getting better than it was years ago i blame the mmr vaccine for autism. people with autism are genrally very intelligent people its just they come accross the wrong way sometimes that may put people off, i have trouble sometimes espically speaking to females with basic things like hello how are you? or saying goodbye.

Yeah almost everyone I know with Aspergers has a higher than average IQ. I was considered genius level back in my schooldays.

One trait I have is that I was useless at schoolwork, I never revised and barely paid attention in lessons. Yet when it comes to exams I consistently attain the highest levels, As or 100% whatever the top grade is. I'm not lazy, I just struggle like crazy with keeping on track and maintaining effort. The trouble is, you don't do the coursework then the exams are just a waste of time!

Quote:
one of my other problems is that i have had trouble at work as somebody with aspergers my mind needs to b kept active and doing the same thing at work everyday makes it hard to cope with thus y i asked to be moved round to stop myself getting stressed eventually the bastards became unwilling to help so in the end i had to resign

That's me to a tee. I hate boring work, I just totally shut down, get depressed and end up leaving the job.

I've heard of links with the MMR vaccine too, could well be the case. Though I think there are a plethora of reasons. In fact in some circles they tend to think of Aspegers as more of a social trait than a medical condition.

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 1:02 AM Quote
do u think people with disabilities or autism shud b treated differently?

KevInSweden
KevInSweden Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 1:16 AM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

It all depends. Interactions with people should be done on a per person basis for the most part.

Although...

I consider Autism to be something that does generally need adapting towards, Aspergers you can make allowances for the social interaction issues. Depends really. Having either doesn't make you stupid though, just different.

Life would be boring if we were all the same anyways.

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 1:23 AM Quote
KevInSweden wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:

It all depends. Interactions with people should be done on a per person basis for the most part.

Although...

I consider Autism to be something that does generally need adapting towards, Aspergers you can make allowances for the social interaction issues. Depends really. Having either doesn't make you stupid though, just different.

Life would be boring if we were all the same anyways.

yup i agree with you on that, how was your girlfriend when you told her about yourself?

KevInSweden
KevInSweden Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 1:26 AM Quote
She knew I was mental from day one :D I'm not too bad, for the inattention I told her that it's best to make sure she has my attention before telling me something.

Oh and if she wants me to do some household chores, then she should write them down in a simple list. I'll do them then. If she just tells me I forget or can't be bothered.

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 7:04 PM Quote
KevInSweden wrote:
She knew I was mental from day one :D I'm not too bad, for the inattention I told her that it's best to make sure she has my attention before telling me something.

Oh and if she wants me to do some household chores, then she should write them down in a simple list. I'll do them then. If she just tells me I forget or can't be bothered.

i have to admit im terrible like that at home too with things to do, i also have bad concetration too

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
dee wrote:
I learn about it in college because i'm training to be a primary school teacher.
there was a really interesting documentary on channel 4 a year or two ago about a family with children with different forms of autism and aspergers.
we were told to read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" too because the main character is a boy with aspergers and its written from his perspective

I was just going to mention that book. It's absolutely brilliant and it does give you an idea what Asperger's is about.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 7:53 PM Quote
Travis Rocker wrote:

I know a boy with autism who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to computers, but in his everday life, he needs a routine. If things don't go by routine, he gets upset.

In other words, it all depends on the disability whether you should treat people differently. I have a friend who can't use her left leg, so she has a brace on it. I do have to consider this disability, for instance we can't go for long walks unless she's in a wheelchair. But I don't consider this treating her differently cos I talk to her like anyone else.

I suppose it all comes down to not patronising people with a disability.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 7:57 PM Quote
dee wrote:
I learn about it in college because i'm training to be a primary school teacher.
there was a really interesting documentary on channel 4 a year or two ago about a family with children with different forms of autism and aspergers.
we were told to read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" too because the main character is a boy with aspergers and its written from his perspective

I haven't read it, I've heard mixed reviews...

However I have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, it's really funny(that's where I found "Pram Springs").

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:03 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:

I know a boy with autism who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to computers, but in his everday life, he needs a routine. If things don't go by routine, he gets upset.

In other words, it all depends on the disability whether you should treat people differently. I have a friend who can't use her left leg, so she has a brace on it. I do have to consider this disability, for instance we can't go for long walks unless she's in a wheelchair. But I don't consider this treating her differently cos I talk to her like anyone else.

thats the thing i used to hate patronising people jus bcuz i hav a disability its not nice at all and i certainly wouldnt do it to anyone else. yup i have to have a daily routine too for example sleeping at the same time, starting and finishing work at the same time each day too. i cant give good eye contact either or have good social skills my confidence is very low.

id say i was very intelligent myself. this wont stop me from haveing a normal life, i do hope to get married and have my own children 1 day like everyone else does

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
dee wrote:

trust me mate read it its very intresting

I haven't read it, I've heard mixed reviews...

However I have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, it's really funny(that's where I found "Pram Springs").

Travis Rocker
Travis Rocker Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:06 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Travis Rocker wrote:

have u heard about the diet that the say helps

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Thu 31 May, 2007 8:27 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
is that connected with drinking fizzy squash or E numbers

In Holland it is, but it is also connected with sugars. You can use slow sugers (like fructose and honey) but no fastsugers (like dextroses, cane sugar and raw sugar).
It seems to make the kids (and grownups too i guess) go a bit more slow and make them i bit less edgy:)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:05 PM