1) More Than Us
2) Turn
3) As You Are
4) Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Re: Song Showdown 4 - Round 4
TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 5:56 PM Quote
1) More Than Us

2) Turn (Arrgghhh!!! This was soooooo difficult to choose from!)

3) Writing To Reach You

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 5:57 PM Quote
1) More Than Us

2) Turn

3) As You Are

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
Battles

1) More Than Us
2) Turn
3) Writing To Reach You

1. very tough
2. easy, can't believe LWD got this far
3. fairly easy but two good songs
4. ditto.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:33 PM Quote
Battles

1) Side

2) Long Way Down

3) Writing To Reach You

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 8:52 PM Quote
1) More Than Us

2) Turn

3) Writing To Reach You

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 9:52 PM Quote

1) More Than Us

2) Long Way Down

3) Writing To Reach You

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:24 AM Quote
1) Side
2) Long Way Down
3) Writing To Reach You

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:16 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
So Long Way Down is the strongest song from Ode? Interesting ;)

No it doesn't mean that. It's just been lucky in each round whereas songs like Quite Free have come up against Side and The Cage was buried alive. It's the luck of the draw. :)

Pickled alive I think is the term you're looking for. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/10-Tongue.gif

Yes it comes down to the luck of the draw. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to illustrate to people how the system is in fact more complex than it first appears!

(this is not in any way an argument or critique on what you just said, which is true. It's just an excuse to dust off the ol' labcoat again)

*dusts off labcoat*

*puts on labcoat*

Here we have our specimen: Long Way Down.

Long Way Down has beaten Walking Down The Hill (group stage), Sailing Away, Something Anything and Slideshow. But we must also consider the songs that these songs defeated - if Long Way Down is 'better' (this is a technical, objective term in Showdown Studies http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif) than these four songs, it is also better than the songs they defeated. So: The Line Is Fine, One Night and Follow The Light. We call this Long Way Down's second level of victory. Are we taking notes? Well you should be. The strongest of these second level songs was Follow The Light, since it managed to defeat a song in the first round - Mid-Life Krysis. This is Long Way Down's third level of victory.

Observe! Observe how Long Way Down has thusly proved itself better than eight songs, not four! But what's this, there's more? Indeed there is! It is also better than the losing song of each group (in the group round) that one of the eight songs appeared in! So it is better than: Broken Mirror, Midsummer Night's Dreamin', Perfect Heaven Space, Paperclips, Out In Space and Get Up. We call this the, er, Indirectus Groupus Victoriousus, which is latin for the approximate translation of Indirect Group Victory.

Sure, most of the songs it beat were crap (another technical term), but this is just a way of showing all who have not yet nodded off that Long Way Down has in fact proved itself against a more substantial chunk of Travis' catalogue than it first appears. Of course if it beat Turn (which lets face it it wont, although its putting up a good fight), it'd have claim to being better than some of the other big boys Turn was capable of defeating too. Sing, Before You Were Young and, er, I Love You Anyways and Peace The Fuck Out.

Doesn't this inspiring account almost want you to see Long Way Down go all the way? Doesn't it give you a shimmer of affection for the little song's journey? Doesn't it almost make you want it to blow Turn's head off with a bazooka, pulverise Writing To Reach You with a laser beam and ultimately take the Showdown belt? No? Oh. Ok.

This article was brought to you by Prof. Typing To Reach You. Please note that the professor does not endorse any one song over any other - he is objective and professional at all times. Thank you for your attention.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 2:45 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
So Long Way Down is the strongest song from Ode? Interesting ;)

No it doesn't mean that. It's just been lucky in each round whereas songs like Quite Free have come up against Side and The Cage was buried alive. It's the luck of the draw. :)

Pickled alive I think is the term you're looking for. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/10-Tongue.gif

Yes it comes down to the luck of the draw. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to illustrate to people how the system is in fact more complex than it first appears!

(this is not in any way an argument or critique on what you just said, which is true. It's just an excuse to dust off the ol' labcoat again)

*dusts off labcoat*

*puts on labcoat*

Here we have our specimen: Long Way Down.

Long Way Down has beaten Walking Down The Hill (group stage), Sailing Away, Something Anything and Slideshow. But we must also consider the songs that these songs defeated - if Long Way Down is 'better' (this is a technical, objective term in Showdown Studies http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif) than these four songs, it is also better than the songs they defeated. So: The Line Is Fine, One Night and Follow The Light. We call this Long Way Down's second level of victory. Are we taking notes? Well you should be. The strongest of these second level songs was Follow The Light, since it managed to defeat a song in the first round - Mid-Life Krysis. This is Long Way Down's third level of victory.

Observe! Observe how Long Way Down has thusly proved itself better than eight songs, not four! But what's this, there's more? Indeed there is! It is also better than the losing song of each group (in the group round) that one of the eight songs appeared in! So it is better than: Broken Mirror, Midsummer Night's Dreamin', Perfect Heaven Space, Paperclips, Out In Space and Get Up. We call this the, er, Indirectus Groupus Victoriousus, which is latin for the approximate translation of Indirect Group Victory.

Sure, most of the songs it beat were crap (another technical term), but this is just a way of showing all who have not yet nodded off that Long Way Down has in fact proved itself against a more substantial chunk of Travis' catalogue than it first appears. Of course if it beat Turn (which lets face it it wont, although its putting up a good fight), it'd have claim to being better than some of the other big boys Turn was capable of defeating too. Sing, Before You Were Young and, er, I Love You Anyways and Peace The Fuck Out.

Doesn't this inspiring account almost want you to see Long Way Down go all the way? Doesn't it give you a shimmer of affection for the little song's journey? Doesn't it almost make you want it to blow Turn's head off with a bazooka, pulverise Writing To Reach You with a laser beam and ultimately take the Showdown belt? No? Oh. Ok.

This article was brought to you by Prof. Typing To Reach You. Please note that the professor does not endorse any one song over any other - he is objective and professional at all times. Thank you for your attention.

Thanks for the exposition Luke, but I actually think it's even more complicated...Cause it's not sure that Long Way Down would win against the songs that the opponents have beaten, if they were up against eachother.
This doesn't sound very logical I know, but think about it! Everyone have different song-rangs...

owenlee
owenlee Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:08 PM Quote
Yah!
Long Way Down is amazing! :P

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:08 PM Quote
1) More Than Us

2) Turn

3) Writing To Reach You

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
Hahaha nice explanation Luke!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Thanks for the exposition Luke, but I actually think it's even more complicated...Cause it's not sure that Long Way Down would win against the songs that the opponents have beaten, if they were up against eachother.
This doesn't sound very logical I know, but think about it! Everyone have different song-rangs...

Indeed, I have thought of this myself. People have paradoxical opinions! By this I mean, people may establish that Slideshow is 'better' than Follow The Light, and that Long Way Down is better than Slideshow, yet may think that Follow The Light is better than Long Way Down. But Showdown Science has no time for such awkwardly illogical people. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

Indeed, I have thought of this myself. People have paradoxical opinions! By this I mean, people may establish that Slideshow is 'better' than Follow The Light, and that Long Way Down is better than Slideshow, yet may think that Follow The Light is better than Long Way Down. But Showdown Science has no time for such awkwardly illogical people. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

I guess not ;) That was just my explanation of why you can't compete in music http://www.djbc.net/photos/fark/moving/music-smiley-004g2.gif

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:09 PM