Re: How did you discover Travis?
irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 9:33 PM Quote
Aww, all of these stories are great :)

I posted mine just a week ago ^.^

OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:34 AM Quote
I made a friend in high school who's dad loved Travis. One day, she sent me a link to the Sing video. I loved the music as well as the clip, and bam! I became a Travis fan. It really influenced me.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:43 AM Quote
I posted my story a few days ago too:

Quote:
I knew Travis since 2001, but I became a fan in 2004. I was going through a horrible depression and their music was something that helped me to get out of that. Travis' music for me was like a rush of fresh air :o)

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:10 PM Quote
I first saw Travis on VH1. They were showing Closer. Then I bought 12 memories, but I didn't know Travis that much yet. Then I went to the Travis and simple Plan show in Bangkok Thailand, and it was MIND BLOWING!!!! after that I just Loved it.

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:18 PM Quote
It was sort of a combination of several things. Around the time of TMW, my music friend at work knew I was into bands from the UK and kept asking me if I'd heard of a band called Travis. I'd vaguely remembered seeing trade ads in the back of Q for their concerts on and off, but didn't go any further until I found a feature on them in some other music publication and decided I really needed to check them out. So I bought the record and it was love at first listen. Had to have been around 2000 or so. Went and sawre them open for Dido on the last day of her tour in summer '01 and there was absolutely no looking back.

kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:26 AM Quote
Love how everybody's story is completely different :)

Stepiper
Stepiper Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:36 AM Quote
I've been loving Travis since ther first. I heard Noel Gallagher saying good things about them, he said "keep an eye on them as they'll be big" or a sort of this.

So I bought their first album then I never stopped to love them.

lovedogjoe
lovedogjoe Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:40 AM Quote
I fell in love with Travis when i first listened to Re offender, I just thought it was my dream band, toucing my heart with their music ^^

kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:43 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I posted my story a few days ago too:

Quote:
I knew Travis since 2001, but I became a fan in 2004. I was going through a horrible depression and their music was something that helped me to get out of that. Travis' music for me was like a rush of fresh air :o)

I hate it when folk call Travis 'depressing' or 'morbid'. I'm a bit like you. Their music lifted me when I was down in the depths. Always will be grateful to them for that

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 1:30 AM Quote
I picked up TMW when i was around 10(ish) years old and thought i'd buy it for my older bro as a christmas present cause i liked WDIARONM and it was only released then.

Turns out I got my 1st disc man for Christmas that year and i never took that CD out of the disc man. So my brother didn't get as obsessed as me lol

luvro
luvro Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 1:47 AM Quote
It was 1999... a friend of a friend went to Glastonbury and brought a lot of cds.. one of them was The Man Who... and I felt in love.. The Last Laugh... Luv... Driftwood... all the album is great, the best for me.
I still have the cassette where I record the cd... a few months later I got the Single and then the album. In Argentina it´s very dificult to get them...
Now I´m living in Spain and it´s easyer..

Sory for my english.. is terrible..

Nice question!
Good Luck!!Ro

purplesky
purplesky Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 5:33 AM Quote
I got to know Travis in the autumn of 2003, which was exactly 5 years ago, when I was an exchange student at a Univ. in Seattle.

There was this boy who sent me this song, Flowers in the window, the 1st Travis song I heard. It was the right moment to listen to the song as I had been fallen in love, probably the 1st time in my life. I felt I was a melting snowgirl. Travis came to me like a gentle and soft autumn breeze.

The boy used to play Travis songs with his guitar. We both loved music & Travis very much, so we used to play and sing, and go to concerts together. During my one year stay in US, in the very winter, Travis came to Seattle for US tour (for 12 memories)! Oh..The concert was like a gift from heaven.
(I'm orignally from Korea, far east from UK, so I thought I might've never been able to see Travis)

I had the most beautiful night in my life, and I got to appreciate Travis more and more. I bought all albums, 3 DVDs, and try to collect as many singles as possible since then.

Travis has definitely enriched my life, lifted me up whenever I was in depression and comforted me a lot and I can't think of myself, my life without Travis. Recently, Ode has become a new joy in my life again. I'm loving the new songs very much. Thanks, Travis :)

brenrogers
brenrogers Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 2:56 AM Quote
FOR ME

When I was 11, I was watching TV with my mum and dad, and I remember the video to sing came on (I think it was on top of the pops); and I remember saying "I like that because its proper music".

So the next day, with some pocket money, I went down to HMV with my sister and bought 'The invisible band' and 'Trance Nation' (sorry... I liked dance too; at the time).

I think i didnt stop listening to 'the invisible band' all winter. To this day I remember sitting on the back room, on the floor listening to the album on loop, while playing 'TOCA-touring cars 2' on my playstation.

I've been hooked on Travis since.

Even when my mates laugh at me for liking them, because they say its such depressing music. Screw them!
haha

WWWOOOOOOOHHHH TRAVIS ROCK!

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 3:02 AM Quote
brenrogers wrote:
FOR ME

When I was 11, I was watching TV with my mum and dad, and I remember the video to sing came on (I think it was on top of the pops); and I remember saying "I like that because its proper music".

So the next day, with some pocket money, I went down to HMV with my sister and bought 'The invisible band' and 'Trance Nation' (sorry... I liked dance too; at the time).

I think i didnt stop listening to 'the invisible band' all winter. To this day I remember sitting on the back room, on the floor listening to the album on loop, while playing 'TOCA-touring cars 2' on my playstation.

I've been hooked on Travis since.

Even when my mates laugh at me for liking them, because they say its such depressing music. Screw them!
haha

WWWOOOOOOOHHHH TRAVIS ROCK!

I don't get it. It's not depressing at all!!
(Well some might be depressing but I feel better after listening to them after all.)

TIB is my favorite. :D

genia_gvan
genia_gvan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 8:37 AM Quote
I remember I was watching the MTV, I watched Why does it always rain on me?, and I thought "a strange guy with a skirt!" (I was a little fool girl, I didn't knew anything about life hahaha) anyway, I had that song stuck in my mind many weeks because I really loved it, but later I forgot it (I think it was 1999 when that happened, I really can't remember)... anyway, I became a real Travis fan in 2001, when I bought my boyfriend The invisible band (I didn't know that was the band of the video I've watched about two years ago!) the next day he bought The man who, and when I listened it: I remember that video! and thought it was great, I re-discovered the band I've listened!! and listened carefully every song... since that day I'm a Travis fan, I loved their music then, and I keep doing it now; Travis music became part of my life (as a personal soundtrack). Snif,snif. hehehe that's my story!!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:49 AM