Re: Baseball fever anyone?
SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
minnmess wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
minnmess wrote:
I like baseball and played for years and years, but I lose interest once the Blue Jays are out. I'll watch once it gets down to the important playoff games but frankly hockey preseason takes priority to baseball playoffs.

i think that if you had grown up here like i have you'd probably be a dodgers fan, our hockey team hardly shows up on the radar (the horrible,horrible kings)...wait a minute, the one year that the kings were good, you beat us! omg, i'm fraternizing with the enemy ;-p

well i grew up here, so i am a Blue Jays fan...
and by "you" beat us, are you refering to 1993 with the Montreal Canadiens? or the country of Canada on the whole? Bc im sure "we" have beaten the Kings a lot in that case.

uhm, yeah, i'm pretty sure that the kings lost to toronto when we had gretzky, back in 1993,i think, it's one of those la sports memories that i kinda blocked out for a long time, it could have been the canadians (clever name)...anyway, what's up min, how are you?

Oh Sam! I need to give you a hockey lesson.
First of all, insinuating that i have any connection to the Leafs hurts my heart and soul.
2nd of all, the Kings beat the Leafs in the 93 semi's to go to the final where they lost to the Canadiens
3rd of all, please note that it is the CanadiEns and not the CanadiAns as they are French. Habs will also do as it is their nickname. It comes from the term Habitants, or the early farmers who settled in Montreal along the St Lawrence River,
DEEP BREATH.
im fine thank you. At work, this is my first day of being actual full time instead of part time and i succefully sent something via Puralator for the first time ever. Its going to Conneticut. Anyone want to go and check that it got there for me?
whats up with you?

Omg,i did not see that one coming! thank you for the lesson, i obviously do not know much about canada or it's history, that's why i have chosen you as a friend, to fill me in. i'm gonna try to learn more about both hockey and canada in the coming days,weeks,months, with "a little help from my friends" as the song goes.
hey, work sounds like fun, i too am at work, making some sales and in between chatting on here, my lunch break is coming up soon, looking forward to it! after work i'm going straight to campus as i am starting my first full week of courses at cal state la

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
what about you? do you like baseball?

Not really. I'm not really into any sports. I like weird things like swimming, which they never show except during the Olympics.

My son is starting baseball tomorrow though so I will be seeing some games in the next few weeks. But the players will all be 6 and 7 years old so it will be more humorous than amazing.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 8:34 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:

Not really. I'm not really into any sports. I like weird things like swimming, which they never show except during the Olympics.

My son is starting baseball tomorrow though so I will be seeing some games in the next few weeks. But the players will all be 6 and 7 years old so it will be more humorous than amazing.

hey swimming is a sport, and in my opinion, one of the most difficult, it's my favorite event during the olympics. i work for speedo and let me tell you, phelps is the man to be right now...baseball at that age is so much fun, i'm sure that he'll like it, my nephew who is 8yrs old plays little league and i'm at every game, it's very entertaining

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:

hey swimming is a sport, and in my opinion, one of the most difficult, it's my favorite event during the olympics. i work for speedo and let me tell you, phelps is the man to be right now...baseball at that age is so much fun, i'm sure that he'll like it, my nephew who is 8yrs old plays little league and i'm at every game, it's very entertaining

Yes swimming is an awesome sport and it is quite challenging but my point is it's not something I can sit down on Monday nights and watch on ABC.

I have decided though to make an effort to go to some swim meets at UT. I live in the town with the best men's swim team in the whole country so I should't complain that I can't see good swimming, right??

Speaking of Phelps, I posted this clip in another thread. So funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhHfuLgxKM

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:
I'm a really big fan of the Tampa Bay Rays (I'm from the Tampa area). It's been such an amazing year for them. Sadly, the last home game was on Saturday. Definitely looking forward to next season... but more importantly- seeing them become champions of the American League East (we hope!) ; )

The Rays are awsome! I can't believe how they have come together so quickly, they are a really exciting team to watch, just so you know, I'm not a rays fan but i have been rooting for them especially against teams like boston and new york. You know what would be really cool? if the world series was between the Dodgers and the Rays, that would be amazing!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:22 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:

Yes swimming is an awesome sport and it is quite challenging but my point is it's not something I can sit down on Monday nights and watch on ABC.

I have decided though to make an effort to go to some swim meets at UT. I live in the town with the best men's swim team in the whole country so I should't complain that I can't see good swimming, right??

Speaking of Phelps, I posted this clip in another thread. So funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhHfuLgxKM

team swimming would be really cool to watch, but maybe there are already too many prime time sports baseball,basketball,football...thanks for the clip lol!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:25 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
[Oh Sam! I need to give you a hockey lesson.
First of all, insinuating that i have any connection to the Leafs hurts my heart and soul.
2nd of all, the Kings beat the Leafs in the 93 semi's to go to the final where they lost to the Canadiens
3rd of all, please note that it is the CanadiEns and not the CanadiAns as they are French. Habs will also do as it is their nickname. It comes from the term Habitants, or the early farmers who settled in Montreal along the St Lawrence River,
DEEP BREATH.
im fine thank you. At work, this is my first day of being actual full time instead of part time and i succefully sent something via Puralator for the first time ever. Its going to Conneticut. Anyone want to go and check that it got there for me?
whats up with you?

Omg,i did not see that one coming! thank you for the lesson, i obviously do not know much about canada or it's history, that's why i have chosen you as a friend, to fill me in. i'm gonna try to learn more about both hockey and canada in the coming days,weeks,months, with "a little help from my friends" as the song goes.
hey, work sounds like fun, i too am at work, making some sales and in between chatting on here, my lunch break is coming up soon, looking forward to it! after work i'm going straight to campus as i am starting my first full week of courses at cal state la [/quote]

alright, what do you want to know? Currently there are 6 Canadian NHL hockey teams. Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens are my favourite. I grew up loving Montreal and then moved to Ottawa for university and adopted the Sens. There are also the stupidhead Toronto Maple Leafs, the Calgary Flames, the Edmonton Oilers and the Vancouver Canuck. There used to be the Winnipeg Jets and the Quebec Nordiques, but sadly, they are no more.
Work is okay. its been crazy between opening night last week and an annual general meeting and board meeting today. But its 4:25 so i can leave soon.
What are you taking in school? What do you do for speedo?
What else do you want to know about Canada/hockey?
no, it isnt cold year round. Where I am the summers are super hot and humid and up to 40 degrees (umm, 100ish in ferenhyte..i think). Although Ric thinks I live near the north pole and that Santa is my neighbour. I should start a "Kristy answers questions about Canada" thread. Steph_Canuck can help.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:31 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:

why is he starting basball in september?
I remember my glory days of T-ball as a youngin'

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
Peewee wrote:
Baseball doesn't exist where I live lol.

omg,really??? what sports are you into then?

You do realize that she lives in Ireland, right?

I'll let her speak for herself on what sports she likes but I'd be surprised if many Europeans weigh in as baseball fans.

yeah,i'm pretty sure that pee wee's answer will be soccer, what about you? do you like baseball?

This made me laugh! lol Yes Soccer as you guys call it (unfortunatly I can't get away from it at the mo) and I love watching the Rugby when Ireland are playing :)

We have lots of sports here just not big into American games. lol I used to watch American Football and wouldn't have a clue. As I kid I played Rounders loads, it's a little bit like Baseball, lol. Other than that we blow up a pigs belly and kick it around the streets. ;P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
why is he starting basball in september?
I remember my glory days of T-ball as a youngin'

You can do it in the fall and spring here. They said the fall is a better time to start because it's a bit more laid back season than the spring.

I like that the coach will pitch to them three times and if they don't hit it they'll get the T-ball stand out. So he gets a chance to hit it from a pitch but still gets to hit the ball no matter what.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:52 PM Quote
oh thats fun. We just have baseball from April/Mayish to August. Although if you play competitively there is indoor training all winter.
We have tball until you are...7 i think, and then you go to a pitching machine and then a real pitcher.
Although after tball i switched a girls softball league so i never had the pitching machine. Although they are fun at arcade places!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
[Oh Sam! I need to give you a hockey lesson.
DEEP BREATH.
whats up with you?

hey, work sounds like fun, i too am at work, making some sales and in between chatting on here, my lunch break is coming up soon, looking forward to it! after work i'm going straight to campus as i am starting my first full week of courses at cal state la

alright, what do you want to know? Currently there are 6 Canadian NHL hockey teams. Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens are my favourite. I grew up loving Montreal and then moved to Ottawa for university and adopted the Sens. There are also the stupidhead Toronto Maple Leafs, the Calgary Flames, the Edmonton Oilers and the Vancouver Canuck. There used to be the Winnipeg Jets and the Quebec Nordiques, but sadly, they are no more.
Work is okay. its been crazy between opening night last week and an annual general meeting and board meeting today. But its 4:25 so i can leave soon.
What are you taking in school? What do you do for speedo?
What else do you want to know about Canada/hockey?
no, it isnt cold year round. Where I am the summers are super hot and humid and up to 40 degrees (umm, 100ish in ferenhyte..i think). Although Ric thinks I live near the north pole and that Santa is my neighbour. I should start a "Kristy answers questions about Canada" thread. Steph_Canuck can help. [/quote]

i am a customer service rep for speedo, i got to experience the chaos of working here during the olympics, but it was fun and i learned a lot about doing business internationally. at school i'm studying interpersonal communications, i should have been done by now, i spent a little too much time traveling,partying,working but i am determined to be done by this time next year....ok,where did hockey begin? who invented it? try that one;-)...side note, there are too many hockey teams in canada, you guys should pass one down to us

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:58 PM Quote
you have 24 teams! that is enough!
My degree is in Communications, so kinda the same!
The location of the invention of hockey is in dispute. Some say Kingston, ON, some say Montreal, PQ (PQ is Quebec for those not in the know) and some say Windsor, NS. I dont believe there is one inventor. It kinda changed and developed over the years from things like lacrosse. It wasnt invented by one person, like basketball, which was invented by a...CANADIAN. you guessed it. Dr. James Naysmith. We have a heritage moments commerical for that one too, Anne. I know how much you love them.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:22 PM Quote
Turning a baseball thread into a hockey thread? Hee hee.

Back to baseball, sometimes (Flat) Travis hang out at Comerica Park (aka Tiger Stadium).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2879623209_d9461f8db1_m.jpg

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:25 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
Peewee wrote:
Baseball doesn't exist where I live lol.

omg,really??? what sports are you into then?

You do realize that she lives in Ireland, right?

I'll let her speak for herself on what sports she likes but I'd be surprised if many Europeans weigh in as baseball fans.

yeah,i'm pretty sure that pee wee's answer will be soccer, what about you? do you like baseball?

This made me laugh! lol Yes Soccer as you guys call it (unfortunatly I can't get away from it at the mo) and I love watching the Rugby when Ireland are playing :)

We have lots of sports here just not big into American games. lol I used to watch American Football and wouldn't have a clue. As I kid I played Rounders loads, it's a little bit like Baseball, lol. Other than that we blow up a pigs belly and kick it around the streets. ;P

i wanted to say "football" but, i went with the american word "soccer", which is a great sport, i never played it but when the world cup comes around i will watch every single game! i have never heard of rounders, but if it's like baseball, i'm sure that i would like it, that pig belly thing is completely bizzarre to me but really coool too! how do you do that? blow up a pigs belly???

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:31 AM