Travis

Re: I need to vent
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 4:14 PM Quote
That's annoying and I'd be ticked if my name was on it but when I read mistakes like that I tend to more blame the copyeditors and/or editors than the journalist. They're supposed to catch that stuff (and not add it!!)

In a recent Newsweek there was an article that had the same quote twice. I don't remember what it was but it was like the following example:

"If they have a way of preventing Nickelback from ever making music again, we want to talk to them," says Anne Johnson from Self-Serving, Inc. "If they have a way of preventing Nickelback from ever making music again, we want to talk to them."

I read it three times because I kept thinking I was tired and not going to the next line!

So this happens even on a national level.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
That's annoying and I'd be ticked if my name was on it but when I read mistakes like that I tend to more blame the copyeditors and/or editors than the journalist. They're supposed to catch that stuff (and not add it!!)

I agree. It sucks, I'd be pissed too, but I don't think your readers will blame you for it.
Did you tell the editors that they made a mistake?

Your example made me laugh, Anne :oP.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

I agree. It sucks, I'd be pissed too, but I don't think your readers will blame you for it.
Did you tell the editors that they made a mistake?

Your example made me laugh, Anne :oP.

LOL! Anne! >.<...that example made me feel a little better. :P

Juli, not yet. I think next time I e-mail her an article, I'll put a "P.S." in there about it.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 4:52 PM Quote
I think you should do that. They should know that they made a mistake, maybe they'll be more careful next time.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 4:57 PM Quote
My all-time favorite Newspaper typo (Kayte...you'll appreciate this one):

"With Holmstrom out of the lineup over the weekend, Jiri Hudler was bumped up from the fourth line to take Holmstrom's spot on Pave Dustup's right side. Johan Franzen was moved up from the second power-play unit to the first."

PAVE DUSTUP? Uhhhh...do they mean Red Wing's superstar Pavel Datsyuk???? Now that's Spell Check gone wrong for ya! :P

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 5:24 PM Quote
If it helps, I get blamed for everything that goes wrong in my work. I'm at the bottom of the 'shit runs downhill' pile.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
My all-time favorite Newspaper typo (Kayte...you'll appreciate this one):

"With Holmstrom out of the lineup over the weekend, Jiri Hudler was bumped up from the fourth line to take Holmstrom's spot on Pave Dustup's right side. Johan Franzen was moved up from the second power-play unit to the first."

PAVE DUSTUP? Uhhhh...do they mean Red Wing's superstar Pavel Datsyuk???? Now that's Spell Check gone wrong for ya! :P

The funnier thing, when I was reading it, I was wondering when we acquired a player named Pave Dustup because the name didn't sound familiar. Sounds like a guy who should work for a cement company. A company that also cleans up very well after they pour your new driveway.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 15 May, 2008 6:25 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

"If they have a way of preventing Nickelback from ever making music again, we want to talk to them," says Anne Johnson from Self-Serving, Inc. "If they have a way of preventing Nickelback from ever making music again, we want to talk to them."

Oooohh man, that example made me laugh soooo much!! I am sooo with you on the Nickelback hating! Worst band ever created.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 3:14 PM