Travis

Re: FAO Teachers
ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
[quote="ashleyb"] I don't exactly have an authority type persona

I didn't either when I first started teaching. I still don't think I have much authority, but it comes with time. And if you know how to talk to them, authority becomes almost unecessary. However, sometimes you will need to force yourself to speak firmly (even harshly) to them, even if you don't feel like it. They will generally be grateful to you for that, retrospectively.

[quote]
That's one of my main concerns. I can be incredibly shy and hate public speaking. So yeah, I'm worried that they just won't listen to me, or that I'll mess up and just not be very good at it...

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
One thing that annoys me with teachers is that they believe they know everything about anything.
Also the attitude "see i share my knowledge with ppl and educate ppl " irritates me.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:47 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
One thing that annoys me with teachers is that they believe they know everything about anything.
Also the attitude "see i share my knowledge with ppl and educate ppl " irritates me.

Well, I definitely don't think I know everything, so that wouldn't be a problem

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:51 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:

Thanks Lucile! I'm looking at teaching history at the high school level (specifically euro hist, which is usually for the 16 year olds)

I think that's a good age. I genearally prefer teaching older kids because you can have real conversations with them. I don't think I could teach younger kids. They drain all of your energy. I admire my colleagues who teach in elementary school.

Someone suggested (sorry can't remember who) you ask a teacher if you can observe their lessons. I think it's a really good idea. Even if you're still a student and therefore you are still in the school system, you can't take the distance necessary to decide if that's a job for you or not. You need to sit at the back of class, watch the teacher and the pupils and analyse what they do, why they do it and ask yourself if that is what you want to do.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 9:56 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
ashleyb wrote:

Thanks Lucile! I'm looking at teaching history at the high school level (specifically euro hist, which is usually for the 16 year olds)

I think that's a good age. I genearally prefer teaching older kids because you can have real conversations with them. I don't think I could teach younger kids. They drain all of your energy. I admire my colleagues who teach in elementary school.

Someone suggested (sorry can't remember who) you ask a teacher if you can observe their lessons. I think it's a really good idea. Even if you're still a student and therefore you are still in the school system, you can't take the distance necessary to decide if that's a job for you or not. You need to sit at the back of class, watch the teacher and the pupils and analyse what they do, why they do it and ask yourself if that is what you want to do.

I know I couldn't handle elementary age kids. Waaay too much energy... With the high school age kids, is there a lot of drama, or is that mostly with pre-teen kids?

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
That's one of my main concerns. I can be incredibly shy and hate public speaking. So yeah, I'm worried that they just won't listen to me, or that I'll mess up and just not be very good at it...

That's quite normal. And if that's any consolation - you will mess up! We all do. Even after years and years of experience. If you do, just laugh it off with the pupils. a joke never hurt anyone. (Plus, the pupils will see you as a "real human being", and they will like you for that!) Sometimes I come out of the classroom thinking that I sucked, and I probably did. But sometimes you achieve what seems to be the perfect lesson when the pupils are actively involved and interested. And that feeling is amazing! It makes it all worthwhile.

As for your shyness, you can work on that. If I did it, you certainly can! ;) One tip is to work on your voice and how to project it from the stomach before you start teaching.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:05 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:

Come on, we're not all like that! The previous generation of teachers used to be like that. Teaching is about sharing your knowledge and experience not about imposing them on the pupils / students. There should be a real dialogue between the pupils and the teachers.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
I know I couldn't handle elementary age kids. Waaay too much energy... With the high school age kids, is there a lot of drama, or is that mostly with pre-teen kids?

I'd say it depends a lot on the kids' social background. When I was in high school last year, there was a lot of drama - every day! But some colleagues who were teaching in much nicer parts of the city never had those problems.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:55 PM Quote
Thanks for the wonderful insight Lucile. I might be getting a little excited about the prospect, though still terrified... I definitely need to work on my voice projection, and laughing at myself (though that I do fairly well)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:17 PM Quote
If I ever decided to try teaching again, I would want to do high school. Yeah Ashley see if you can just observe some classes but I think you should go for it.

Your orange soled shoes will give you power.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:24 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful insight Lucile. I might be getting a little excited about the prospect, though still terrified... I definitely need to work on my voice projection, and laughing at myself (though that I do fairly well)

You're welcome :) It's normal to be terrified. (I even think that it's healthy if you can turn your fear into positive energy). I will always remember my first lesson. I was petrified (you should also learn how to hide it) - my mouth was so dry, I must have drained a whole bottle of water in an hour! But it gets better :)

TK23
TK23 Posted Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:06 AM Quote
My sister teaches 8th grade Language Arts (ages 13/14). It's her second year teaching 8th grade, and before that she taught for a year at an elementary school. Overall, I think she enjoys it. Of course there are the weekends off and long vacations, so who wouldn't love that?! I've spent a lot of time helping her around the classroom, and it's quite apparent that if you're truly passionate about being a teacher, then everything pretty much comes naturally. I also think that it's very important to strongly consider what age group would be most conducive to your own personality. My sister, for example, is very sarcastic- so it was important for her to teach students at an age who would understand and 'get' her witty personality. At the same time though, she also wants to teach students that are still at an age where they are somewhat enthusiastic about their schoolwork, so 8th grade seems to be a pretty good fit for her.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:09 AM Quote
I know a load of secondary school teachers (12-18). They all seem to really enjoy it but get really frustrated while trying to teach the little buggers who don't want to learn and in some cases don't want anyone else to learn either! I think a lot seems to depend on your school and your department too. Not sure if this is at all helpful lol!

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 8:25 PM