Travis

Re: Happy Saint Patrick's Day (from Dublin)
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 1:35 PM Quote
wendongotta wrote:
i've always wondered, do English people celebrate st. patty's day, it being more Irish than English and all?

Coz we ain't allowed to celebrate St George's day without lookin like a racist hooligan! :P

And it's any old excuse to get pissed up.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 2:19 PM Quote

Well, I'm off out to attempt to find a quiet pub, hah!!! I'm choking for another pint but can't be arsed with all the Paddywhackery, have fun I'll see y'all in a while.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 2:22 PM Quote
St Paddy;s just appears to be an excuse to go out midweek for a beer. I've never understood why us Scots celebrate it more vigorously than our own St Andrews day.

dee
dee Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 2:34 PM Quote
Helen *the original* wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Ursina wrote:
I thought St. Paddy's Day was moved to the 15th because of this week being holy ??? lol

Most places in the country moved it to Saturday, but Dublin has kept it today, probably to do with the tourism or something.

Seemingly you can't have Saint Patrick's Day on the same week as Easter, btw Does anyone know why Easter moves every year?? Jesus was always born on Christmas Day but he died on a different weekend every year ??? It's Fucked Up!!

Dubz

Someone told me this once, i think it's something to do with the phases of the moon, that determines where certain events like Easter lie. Meh i'm not complaining i get 3 extra days off :D

Happy Paddy's day everyone!

the date we celebrate easter and a lot of its traditions were just tacked onto pagan festivals that's why it still follows a very pagan lunar calendar.it happened all the time that christians tried to convert by making associations with what the pagan people already worshipped.
the whole thing about st.patrick and the snakes is a symbol of him ridding ireland of pagans btw.

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 3:22 PM Quote
:) happy st. patrick's day from this end of the world!

http://dl5.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1005/1005805iqwxl7wqux.gif

nats
nats Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
http://images.cafepress.com/image/17709507_400x400.jpg

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/49642/2002387174661017659_rs.jpg

And of course, I'm wearing green :p

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Mon 17 Mar, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
My brother was marching in the parade in Cork today! :)

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 1:54 AM Quote
Hey, just got back from the pub about half an hour ago, had loadsa fun, high fived the whole band when they'd finished their set or irish songs, maybe because I thought the lady singer was good looking, or maybe not lol, but yeah then I got a free St Patrick's Day Guinness hat and I was a bit drunk on Guinness, suppose I still am and walked home listening to Travis and am now here watching live wrestling. So all in all it's been an ace day! And I'm not just using it as an excuse to get drunk I am somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 Irish, seeing at though my Dad is Irish and 3 out of 4 of my Grandparents are Irish lol. Anyways hope everyone else had as ace a St Patrick's Day as I had!

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:04 AM Quote
Im Drunk

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:45 AM Quote
more snakes , less rats .

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:25 AM Quote
http://www.eirefirst.com/clipart/gifs/Happy%20St%20Patty's%20Day%202.gif

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:53 AM Quote
Easter Sunday is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after equinox (the day where day and night are exactly the same length). Sounds very pagan to me, but that's the rule!

From Wikipedia.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 5:03 AM