Travis

Re: VH1 100 Greatest Songs of the 90s
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:26 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I understand that they kind of started the grunge craze, but regardless of whether Kurt Cobain committed suicide or not, I just don't feel their music is worthy of all the praise.

kinda ? no it was around way before , opened the flood gates yeah it ,they did . Neurotica by REDD KROSS , way better album pretty sure all those grunge dudes had a copy , along with Generic Flipper, but those are 80's albums

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:27 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Finally, a VH1 countdown I can enjoy! :) I only caught part of hour 1 (songs 100 - 81), but WDIAROM should totally make the list in my opinion!

You should keep your eyes open for VH2's Indie 500 they usually show it over a full weekend and while I'm not sure all of it is strictly Indie... they're's some pure gems in there.

Dubz

Hmm..VH2? I wonder if I get that station. I've never heard of it. I have MTV2...but that's pretty much crap.

I'll have to go check if I have it...thanks Dubz.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:32 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Smells Like Teen Spirit is far too overplayed and overrated.

I would go further and say that Nirvana and far too Overplayed and Overrated, would they get so much airplay if little spoiled junkie boy hadn't done the world a favour and offed himself??

Dubz

I understand that they kind of started the grunge craze, but regardless of whether Kurt Cobain committed suicide or not, I just don't feel their music is worthy of all the praise.

But Grunge would have come about anyway, I reckon, they sorta "borrowed" their style from The Pixies, who in turn sorta "borrowed" their style from Husker Du. I seem to remember someone saying that their were a good few bands of the same type & caliber kicking around Seattle at the time, I also think Dave Grohl wuld probably make it with whatever band he turns too, I'm not a huge fan but I do admire his gusto.

Dubz

Yeah, Dave Grohl is pretty cool. I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan, but I think he has a lot more talent than Kurt Cobain ever had. My brother is really into the Pixies. They have a few songs that I like...but their sound kind of annoys me after a while.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:34 PM Quote
O K enough about Kurdt , Tila Tequlia , WTF

yeah Pixies , overrated but some of the songs are really nice gems

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:38 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

What about her? She's a skank. LOL...what else is there to say?

I caught something about her hosting the MTV New Years celebration? Just when we thought MTV couldn't get any lower after the horrific VMAs.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:39 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

I would go further and say that Nirvana and far too Overplayed and Overrated, would they get so much airplay if little spoiled junkie boy hadn't done the world a favour and offed himself??

Dubz

But Grunge would have come about anyway, I reckon, they sorta "borrowed" their style from The Pixies, who in turn sorta "borrowed" their style from Husker Du. I seem to remember someone saying that their were a good few bands of the same type & caliber kicking around Seattle at the time, I also think Dave Grohl wuld probably make it with whatever band he turns too, I'm not a huge fan but I do admire his gusto.

Dubz

Yeah, Dave Grohl is pretty cool. I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan, but I think he has a lot more talent than Kurt Cobain ever had. My brother is really into the Pixies. They have a few songs that I like...but their sound kind of annoys me after a while.

I'm a huge Pixies fan but even I can find some of it too "angry" at times, You should try the Wave of Mutilation album it's a Greatest Hits, my favourite is still their first album, Surfer Rosa and Come On Pilgrim.

My Five Favourite Tracks...

Debaser
Where is My Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Caribou
Gigantic

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:41 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Dubz

Dubz

I'm a huge Pixies fan but even I can find some of it too "angry" at times, You should try the Wave of Mutilation album it's a Greatest Hits, my favourite is still their first album, Surfer Rosa and Come On Pilgrim.

Debaser
Where is My Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Caribou
Gigantic

Dubz

Oh yes...I've heard it MANY times blaring from my brother's room. I like "Where Is My Mind"...

What about "This monkeys gooooone to heaveeeeen" lol.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:45 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I caught something about her hosting the MTV New Years celebration? Just when we thought MTV couldn't get any lower after the horrific VMAs.

Jeeze , maybe I won't stay home that night now.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:48 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Dubz

Dubz

Debaser
Where is My Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Caribou
Gigantic

Dubz

Teenage Fanclub do a kick ass version of Here comes your man

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:51 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

Jeeze , maybe I won't stay home that night now.

Nah, go out and have fun!!!

I know where I wish I could be New Years Eve:
Monday 31 December
Castlegate, Aberdeen, UK

God, how cool would it be to ring in the new year with a live Travis performance?!?!

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 7:01 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

I totally agree :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 7:02 PM Quote
O K , cool little story from Seattle graphic designer Art Chantry

"i know certain people hate it when i tell stories from the past, but i was there watching as the cover for 'bleach' was created. wanna hear it? good, i thought you might.

lisa orth was a former art director at the rocket. she quit and eventually i became the art director (again). she pasted it up in the production room while i was a.d. that's my credential. i watched all of it.

sub pop had run huge bills against every designer they knew (almost all of them rocket designers) and had come back a round on their list again to lisa. they owed her thousands of dollars in unpaid bills and they had already bankrupted a few businesses with their deadbeat ways. but, bruce was family, so we always helped. besides, lisa was afraid if she didn't do the work, they would NEVER pay her. so, when they approached her with their latest project, she very reluctantly said yes. i doubt she ever got a penny for it.

i remember her going up to the rocket editor/typesetter grant alden (now of 'no depression' magazine) and said she had this new sub pop band with a real shitty name and she needed type for the cover. grant sighed and said, "what's the name?"

"nirvana."

"oh shit. ok, what typeface you want it in?"

"what's on the machine?" (a compugraphic editwriter)

"onyx." (a bad stock re-design of bodoni condensed that came with every machine)

'that's good enough."

so, he slapped out the type in about 10 minutes and got paid $15. that's where nirvana's logo came from. i wonder how many millions in swag that logo sold? for years it was used with the really bad stock kearning program setting and the "RV" combo was REALLY wide spaced. looked terrible.

lisa took the art back to the production room, slapped type above and below the photo (a cliched "hair shot"). the back was as it came off the machine. it looked too dull even for lisa's blow-off, so she put it on the photostat camera and did a "reverse stat" (a negative of the artwork) and ran printed it like that. (edit. - we had a motto at the rocket that we applied to all of our difficult design decisions we encountered: "when it doubt, reverse it out.") i believe the joke about it costing only $600 to record was something she put on there as a joke. that was sort of lisa's sense of humor anyway.

so, that's how the cover was created. no grand concept, no intentional planning - strictly a blow off for a nothing band that would amount to nothing. i believe she charged sub pop $150, and she most likely never got paid for it. the logo cost $15 out of lisa's pocket.

sub pop never kept track of sales numbers on that record, so it's likely gone several times platinum, but there's no way to ever know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by art chantry : 07-27-2007 at 02:05 PM. "

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 7:02 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

completely agree with ya grinner! drives me insane when i hear it!

Ick. Yes! I can't stand Nirvana...

and VH1 has no credit whatsoever. I'm not going to trust a network that airs crap like I Love New York, and Celebrity Rehab. Ghastly...

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 7:05 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Hmm..VH2? I wonder if I get that station. I've never heard of it. I have MTV2...but that's pretty much crap.

I'll have to go check if I have it...thanks Dubz.

MTV2 does have this cool thing called Subterranean where they air GOOD music, but it's on at 1 in the morning. they use to have a featured track each week, and I believe they featured Travis' Re-Offender when it first came out. But yeah, now it's kind of become where their crap reality shows go to die.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Tue 18 Dec, 2007 7:43 PM Quote
Speakin' of Lists:

The top 40 of this was on this morning: Woxy 2000 best of

Pay special attention to #1 :P

I was never that much into 'grunge' or Alternative or whatever you want to call it. At the time I didn't really care about contemporary music, so even today it doesn't stick with me. I find Nirvana alright, overplayed, like Sublime & the Red Hot chilli Peppers, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:36 PM