Travis

Re: OMG! I heart TRAVIS! EEK!
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:15 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

1 you have obviously never been to Leith
2 Ok the franchise was bad but he was the worst actor by a long chalk
3 I apologise I keep getting both the talentless fuckers mixed up, I'll cite Blue Juice instead, Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Pertwee (seriously underrated) blew him away.
4 even with his fake septic accent??

I'm sorry but I used the word "or" to deliberately not connect him, but at the same time I can't see the difference, he's eye candy and that is that!!

Dubz
Nemo me Imune Lacessit

Well in almost any story (esp. a film) the author/director needs you to be able to relate to the protagonist or you won't watch it. If there wasn't something appealing or relatable about him no one would have watched it. There are loads of examples of this. First one that comes to mind is the series "Dexter". He's a psycho who kills serial killers! But you somehow like him. Tony Soprano. etc. etc.

I've never seen Blue Juice so I have no opinion. On the Star Wars thing, I think he signed up to fulfill a boyish fantasy and then it's too late- you have to do it. But for me the worst was Natalie Portman.

You can think he's eye candy but I think he's a good actor.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:25 PM Quote
Yes but you can relate without likeing him/her, Joe Pesci in Goodfellas?? who actually feels sorry for him when he's offed? he's a nasty little bastard and that's that. People don't like Pesci simply for his performance in that film they can't seperate the man from the role, that is the mark of a believable actor.

Ok I could be wrong maybe he is a good actor, give me an example? maybe I'll change my mind, and if I'm wrong I'll fucking well apologise.

btw I've already said I don't think he's a prick, he's obviously very charismatic, if I met him I'd probably end up liking him but that doesn't mean, I'll let that cloud my judgement on his acting abilities.

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:41 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

1 you have obviously never been to Leith
2 Ok the franchise was bad but he was the worst actor by a long chalk
3 I apologise I keep getting both the talentless fuckers mixed up, I'll cite Blue Juice instead, Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Pertwee (seriously underrated) blew him away.
4 even with his fake septic accent??

I'm sorry but I used the word "or" to deliberately not connect him, but at the same time I can't see the difference, he's eye candy and that is that!!

Dubz
Nemo me Imune Lacessit

Well in almost any story (esp. a film) the author/director needs you to be able to relate to the protagonist or you won't watch it. If there wasn't something appealing or relatable about him no one would have watched it. There are loads of examples of this. First one that comes to mind is the series "Dexter". He's a psycho who kills serial killers! But you somehow like him. Tony Soprano. etc. etc.

I've never seen Blue Juice so I have no opinion. On the Star Wars thing, I think he signed up to fulfill a boyish fantasy and then it's too late- you have to do it. But for me the worst was Natalie Portman.

You can think he's eye candy but I think he's a good actor.

I liked him in Moulin Rouge. I think Hayden Christensen was even worse than Natalie Portman. At least she's done some other great stuff like Garden State. Watching Hayden was just painful.

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

4. Big Fish - an exceedingly samll fish blown away by people who could actually act. Albert Finney, Helena Bonham Carter, Steve Buscemi.

I rest my case

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

...not commenting on the rest...i bleeping love steve buscemi!! Living in Oblivion is one of the classics! :D

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 9:28 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
I liked him in Moulin Rouge. I think Hayden Christensen was even worse than Natalie Portman. At least she's done some other great stuff like Garden State. Watching Hayden was just painful.

Hayden Christensen had the excuse of being a virtual unknown, McGregor's fans were claiming him to be one of the Greats, I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO!!!

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 11 Sep, 2007 9:53 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Hayden Christensen had the excuse of being a virtual unknown, McGregor's fans were claiming him to be one of the Greats, I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO!!!

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

yeah, maybe so...but he still sucked!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:30 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Yes but you can relate without likeing him/her, Joe Pesci in Goodfellas?? who actually feels sorry for him when he's offed? he's a nasty little bastard and that's that. People don't like Pesci simply for his performance in that film they can't seperate the man from the role, that is the mark of a believable actor.

Ok I could be wrong maybe he is a good actor, give me an example? maybe I'll change my mind, and if I'm wrong I'll fucking well apologise.

btw I've already said I don't think he's a prick, he's obviously very charismatic, if I met him I'd probably end up liking him but that doesn't mean, I'll let that cloud my judgement on his acting abilities.

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

I still think in general most directors are needing you to recognize or relate to some part of the protagonist to get into the movie. Would you consider Joe Pesci the lead in Goodfellas?

I think Ewan is good in lots of his movies but I don't think I can prove my case to you because one that I would site is Trainspotting. You think he is only charasmatic and not a great actor and you're allowed to think that. I obviously think otherwise. And I don't think you should ever need to apologize for an opinion, even if I brought you around to my way of thinking.

It's not like you were insulting my children or something. Now those would be fightin' words!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:36 AM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:

...not commenting on the rest...i bleeping love steve buscemi!! Living in Oblivion is one of the classics! :D

Whoa ! I lurve that movie

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:45 AM Quote
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/punkybrister69/milla0007iq4ve.jpg

Milla is thinking , I heart Travis

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:54 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
3. The Beach - Yeah, again totally believable, see also... Shallow Grave,

Haha... yeah I was like WHAT?! He wasn't in that! But I think Danny Boyle was thinking about putting him in it first.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:56 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Haha... yeah I was like WHAT?! He wasn't in that! But I think Danny Boyle was thinking about putting him in it first.

Yeah, he was supposed to star in it but got shoved out for Leo. Ewan and Danny were pretty close, at least had a great working relationship, and they didn't speak for years.

So Dubs wasn't totally nuts to cite that...just wrong! : )

feri
feri Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 3:39 AM Quote
lol..true...although I don't see the problem waiting in line for a few hours so you can be front row. If I paid 35 bucks to see Travis, I don't want to be way at the back where I can't even see the band actually perform. What's the point in that? I'll just listen to their CD then.

It has nothing to do with drooling over them or screaming 'omgz I love you', I just want to get the full experience, and be able to take good pics from the front.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 7:51 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

ehm....what is wrong with eye candy? Or would that be too blokish? I mean, C.Z. Jones and amazing actress???? In traffic maybe, but "intolerable cruelty"????? In that film the term eye candy applies on her just fine.
And comparing Steve Buscemi with Ewan McGregor....mm i don't know, i think they both have different styles. Think Buscemi is a great actor too(fargo!). This would be a case of agreeing to disagree i guess:) The good thing is, this thread reminded me of films i haven't seen in a while that were definately worth while. * sets off for dvdplayer*

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 1:16 PM Quote
I have a soft spot for A life less ordinary.

And of course, as an ex-trumpet player, Brassed Off

He's not that bad. I like his smarmy charm

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2007 9:04 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

ehm....what is wrong with eye candy? Or would that be too blokish? I mean, C.Z. Jones and amazing actress???? In traffic maybe, but "intolerable cruelty"????? In that film the term eye candy applies on her just fine.
And comparing Steve Buscemi with Ewan McGregor....mm i don't know, i think they both have different styles. Think Buscemi is a great actor too(fargo!). This would be a case of agreeing to disagree i guess:) The good thing is, this thread reminded me of films i haven't seen in a while that were definately worth while. * sets off for dvdplayer*

I NEVER said there was anything wrong with eye candy but my point is see it for what it is, McGregor is not a great actor, he may be capable but to listen to his fans he's De'niro, Guielgud, Berkoff all rolled into one...

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:42 AM