Travis

Re: Suggest A Book
Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:02 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Has anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffinegger?

ohh...you should! it's sooo good! i think i've been talking about this book for a while now, but i would really suggest it...it's a fast read!

Yes, I have...high praise indeed. Personally, I thought that it was alright...I got a bit bored during the middle and so stopped reading after the loss of their 3rd child. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't reading I Capture the Castle simaltaneously...that I LOVED!

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:06 PM Quote
Boiling a Frog...that is what you should read...it's brillant if you are into political satire. It is also surreal at moments and excessively funny...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:07 PM Quote
Boiling a Frog...that is what you should read...it's brillant if you are into political satire. It is also surreal at moments and excessively funny...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:10 PM Quote
you don't like french ppl ?

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:10 PM Quote

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:11 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:

Me? No...whatever gave you that impression? Is confused...

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:13 PM Quote
Tianyan wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:

Boiling a frog !

Brits call us Frogs

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 6:17 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Tianyan wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:

Boiling a frog !

Brits call us Frogs

Oh...hahah! No, an actual frog! Though the author did write something at the front of the book saying that no such event took place...Sorry, my mistake, let me clarify..."Frog" in the literal sense of the word and not a sort of slur against the Fench...

You sensitive about such things? Heheheh

isma
isma Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 7:34 PM Quote
Dance dance dance - Haruki Murakami

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 7:56 PM Quote

thanks everyone for your suggestions, i've written them all down. however today i went with 2 books -

"the ginger man" by j.p. dunleavy
"tom bedlam" by george hagen

hurrah for reading.

thanks a million again for the suggestions.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 8:42 PM Quote
Tianyan wrote:

I got a bit bored during the middle and so stopped reading after the loss of their 3rd child. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't reading I Capture the Castle simaltaneously...that I LOVED!

Huh?? are you sure? i don't remember that at all...are you sure you didn't mix up the two books?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
rockin down the highway by Paul grushkin , history of music & cars

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/ricv64/TampereSwapMarch312007.jpg

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 8:46 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Tianyan wrote:

I got a bit bored during the middle and so stopped reading after the loss of their 3rd child. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't reading I Capture the Castle simaltaneously...that I LOVED!

Huh?? are you sure? i don't remember that at all...are you sure you didn't mix up the two books?

No, I am pretty sure...don't you remember that they found it really hard to have children...him being a time traveller and all, so his genetic makeup was pretty fucked up, hence diminishing the chances of successful reproduction. She kept on having miscarriages...I think so anyway.

Besides, I Capture had nothing of the sort...the most promiscuous act being a kiss. Time traveller's wife...sex all the way

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 9:07 PM Quote
Tianyan wrote:

No, I am pretty sure...don't you remember that they found it really hard to have children...him being a time traveller and all, so his genetic makeup was pretty fucked up, hence diminishing the chances of successful reproduction. She kept on having miscarriages...I think so anyway.

Besides, I Capture had nothing of the sort...the most promiscuous act being a kiss. Time traveller's wife...sex all the way

oh. sorry...i thought you meant grown children...i did forget about the miscarriages! sorry!

nats
nats Posted Wed 11 Jul, 2007 9:14 PM Quote
whatever you can get of saramago(gospel according to jesus christ is good but hard reading)

mankell inspector kurt wallander is a great character

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 4:29 AM