Travis

Re: Suspicious Trend
Nell
Nell Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:15 PM Quote
SeaofGlass3 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Travis plays a near identical setlist at every show (at least, for the last two years)? They have 6 albums, how is it that the same songs keep getting played? Have they forgotten how to play the others? I don't understand this.

I highly doubt I will ever go to another show if it's going to be the exact same thing I've seen...3 times now. It looks like even the acoustic setlist in boston included the same songs they always play. Wouldn't an acoustic setting like that be perfect for some of the older ballads that seem to have been forgotten?

And on a final note, it is grammatically correct to say that Travis IS playing a show in Boston tonight, not Travis ARE playing a show. The band is one entity. It is comprised of many members, but it is one nonetheless. Thank you.

I think the opposit is going on. .... I just wish shows would be longer so I wouldn't miss songs.

In Munich f.i. they played the b-side "village man" and in Japan, I believe (plz. correct me if I'm wrong) they played Sarah on the piano...in the states they played it on the guitar and Dougie FINALLY sang one of his songs (Ring out the bell)...

This is the Ode-Tour so normally they lay the accent on songs of the newest record and it's totally normally as well that they play those songs everybody's waiting for (because they're the audience fav. like LWCT or WTRY ...)

But I don't think one show is smiliar to another with Travis...cos there's so much spontaniouse things going on onstage that it just can't be. It's true they've got a setlist..but even then- things happen - u can never be sure..unlike with other bands I've been to.

But if u've been to 3 Travis - shows and obviously get bored...why bother coming back..?

Well that's just how I experienced...and I believe lots of others have too.

Ps: they once/twice played a song that was wished by the adience...they did a instrument-change on stage..etc. etc. etc.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:23 PM Quote
Peter76 wrote:
I didn't think it was possible to complain about a Travis concert.

If you have been following what their setlists are for the North American tour you will see that they have played a lot of material that they haven't before. They are also one of the few bands I know that adds or change songs on the set to play at a moment's notice halfway through a show.

If you really want to get technical about it I would say their core hits like WDIAROM, Side, and Closer make up about half of what they play in any given set on the tour. The other half are B-Sides (Sarah), Acoustics (20), Covers (Baby One More Time / I Kissed a Girl), and rare tracks (Falling Down / 3 Times & You Lose).

So to answer your question, there is no "Suspicious Trend" of playing the same songs here. I've been to my share of their concerts, and every Travis show is different.

BUT, if it really bothers you that much, as evident by your post here, then take your own advice and simply refrain from going to a show.

I totally agree with you, Peter. I got quite a kick out of that first sentence of yours, lol! That's how I see it, anyway. Every show to me has been a treat.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:29 PM Quote
cornax wrote:
It could only be stranger if you said, "I like that Dougie but he needs to smile more!"

Ha ha!

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:00 PM Quote
I don't know what you're basing your outlandish comments on but it seems to be blind assumption and prejudice.
If you did the most minimal of research and looked at maybe two setlists and saw they were different you could have spared yourself the wrath of us angry Travis fans.
I don't know what you were trying to achieve with that comment, but it literally made me sick.
sure, Radiohead have been playing live for nearly 20 years and never played the same set twice, but you can't expect that of every band, and as Fran has said on numerous times, Travis play every gig as if it was their first, and clearly enjoy mixing things up and playing a vast amount of tracks on their 6 great albums.
so, "suspicious trend" is neither a trend nor suspicious.
you have wasted our valuable, valuable time.

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:00 PM Quote
I don't know what you're basing your outlandish comments on but it seems to be blind assumption and prejudice.
If you did the most minimal of research and looked at maybe two setlists and saw they were different you could have spared yourself the wrath of us angry Travis fans.
I don't know what you were trying to achieve with that comment, but it literally made me sick.
sure, Radiohead have been playing live for nearly 20 years and never played the same set twice, but you can't expect that of every band, and as Fran has said on numerous times, Travis play every gig as if it was their first, and clearly enjoy mixing things up and playing a vast amount of tracks on their 6 great albums.
so, "suspicious trend" is neither a trend nor suspicious.
you have wasted our valuable, valuable time.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:04 PM Quote
SamHolden wrote:
it literally made me sick.

I hope this isn't true! :S

;)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:10 PM Quote
I love how they switch up their setlists. I imagine it keeps things interesting and fun for them that way too. Fran talks a little bit about the setlist in an interview in the SL Tribune that ran before the show here.

"We aren't the kind of band who will play tragically obscure songs in our live shows," Healy said. "We don't like to have 90 percent of the audience guessing what the songs are.

"We have always wanted to give people what they want. And we also want to play some new songs. But we don't go off and do things that no one is familiar with. It isn't constructive.

"I mean, just having an audience show up is a unique experience and we want them to come back."

cornax
cornax Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:17 PM Quote
OK, this is only marginally related but it makes me laugh. It's a clip of Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse responding to a fan who kept harassing them to play "old shit" during a concert. Hey, maybe it's the same fan that posted here! : )

Warning...lots of bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vOG47ZP3Y

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:08 PM Quote
So it seems everyone has the same idea so I'm gonna jump in w/ my 2 cents too!

I've been to 6 shows and they have all been a delightful treat. Of course there are songs that always get played, but that's cuz everyone WANTS to do the pogo to WDIAROM. But we're still surprised by the encore songs like Blue Flashing Light and Ring Out The Bell. I agree w/ everyone else; Travis do an EXCELLENT job in giving the ppl what they want AND mixing it up so we (and THEY) don't get bored.

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:16 PM Quote
What's wrong with that guy?

Off course they play some different songs!

And l could see them many times even if they always play the same songs.

Elein
Elein Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:02 PM Quote
It's not a suspicious trend. Your tread though....it's suspicious!

cornax
cornax Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:39 PM Quote
Could there be a connection between this thread and this one? Sour grapes maybe?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:40 PM Quote
The person who started this thread must be a troll, cause he/she can't be a Travis fan. A Travis fan would know better. We have made our point very clear, even though it wasn't necessary to do so.

cornax
cornax Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 9:54 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
The person who started this thread must be a troll, cause he/she can't be a Travis fan. A Travis fan would know better. We have made our point very clear, even though it wasn't necessary to do so.

You're right. We should have just used this...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

morticiaaddams
morticiaaddams Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:23 PM Quote
Yeah at the chicago show they added a song for one of the fans who wanted to hear it. So I know they change up the songs. Plus they play alot of songs from all their albums with as many albums as they have that is a feat. My husband who isn't a big travis fan..not like I am. Was very surprised that they play so many different songs from so many different albums. He is a huge concert goer so if he is impressed that is something. Plus if you really like travis you wouldn't care even if they played the same songs.
In the last two years is a funny one too!! In the last two year they have released Two new cds..that is two new cds worth of music..lol..so that is impossible

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:45 AM