Travis

Re: What is your Thanksgiving menu?
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 3:25 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
In the name of Dubya I declare Hamilton the 51st state . you're behind in taxes pay up ,hippie

I dont listen to dubya. And I dont associate with Hamilton, either.

you'd rather i say the name of that hippie commune you live in ?

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 3:30 PM Quote
my cliché-guide says you have this:

"The traditional meal centers around a roast turkey stuffed with breadcrumbs and sage, supplemented by a generous assortment of candied yams topped with baby marshmallows, mashed potatoes with gravy, baked potatoes, potatoes au gratin, baked winter squash, mashed winter squash, jellied salad, green salad, stewed tomatoes, canned green beans, creamed onions, brussels sprouts, cornbread, dinner rolls, cranberry relish, celery, olives, pumpkin pie, apple pie, mince pie, Indian pudding, and ice cream. "
(cf: "The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans")
;P

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving fellow American boardies!

I thought since we are all so food obsessed it'd be fun to see various menus. Ours is pretty traditional and simple since we're having a quiet celebration this year:

Turkey
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry mandarin orange relish
Cranberry sauce (yes they are different)
green beans
brussel sprouts
cornbread
homemade pumpkin pie with homemade maple whipped cream

You know, I just realized I forgot about stuffing. This happens when you are lazy and are buying your turkey from Whole Foods. I'm going to pick up the turkey this morning and I bet I can buy some.

Also my day may be taking a sad turn as my son lost his cookies this morning. So we might be having a stomach virus Thanksgiving!!

one word : Miam Miam !

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 6:38 PM Quote
Our menu....

Turkey
gravy
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
broccoli and rice casserole
dressing (or stuffing, whatever)
rolls
peas
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
antacids ;)

I will probably need to be wheeled to bed as I'm certain to be filled to maximum capacity.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:38 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
my cliché-guide says you have this:

"The traditional meal centers around a roast turkey stuffed with breadcrumbs and sage, supplemented by a generous assortment of candied yams topped with baby marshmallows, mashed potatoes with gravy, baked potatoes, potatoes au gratin, baked winter squash, mashed winter squash, jellied salad, green salad, stewed tomatoes, canned green beans, creamed onions, brussels sprouts, cornbread, dinner rolls, cranberry relish, celery, olives, pumpkin pie, apple pie, mince pie, Indian pudding, and ice cream. "
(cf: "The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans")
;P

Parts of this is accurate and parts of it make me want to throw up.

"breadcrumbs and sage" is usually called stuffing. (And features more than breadcrumbs and sage)

I don't know exactly what mashed winter squash is.

Jellied salad is high on the "puke" list. Also not something I've ever had at any Thanksgiving I've attended (though it does exist)

I'm confused by the stewed tomatoes and creamed onions. I've never seen these at any Thanksgiving either.

Green beans are typical but aren't necessarily canned.

I suppose I've seen celery (and olives) on some sort of veggie platter/appetizers but it's not like they are passed around with the other main course dishes.

I love mincemeat pie but I don't think it's very typical, at least in Texas.

What in the world is Indian pudding?????

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:40 PM Quote
i had all those same questions anne, lol. Except i assume mashed winter squash is just squash...mashed. But squash is already pretty mashy.
that makes stuffing sound like those little tiny ground up crumbs, which would be gross.

What is jellied salad?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
i had all those same questions anne, lol. Except i assume mashed winter squash is just squash...mashed. But squash is already pretty mashy.
that makes stuffing sound like those little tiny ground up crumbs, which would be gross.

What is jellied salad?

I figured about the squash but was thinking along the same lines - it's already so squishy why do you need to mash it?

Here is one pic of a jellied salad. There is also the dessert kind which features marshmallows inside the jello.

http://www.subversiveinfluence.com/images/blogposts/jelliedsalad.jpg

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:44 PM Quote
eww. Well, i suppose not eww, but Im not a big fan of jello so that just looks strange.
Very...70s inspired dessert.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:46 PM Quote
I googled Indian pudding. It actually sounds quite tasty. It's a very traditional dish- this recipe is from the Concord Museum

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000251indian_pudding.php

Ingredients

* 6 cups of milk
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1/4 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup molasses
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
* 1 cup golden raisins (optional)
* Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Method

1 Scald the milk and butter in a large double boiler. Or heat the milk and butter for 5 or 6 minutes on high heat in the microwave, until it is boiling, then transfer it to a pot on the stove. Keep hot on medium heat.

2 Preheat oven to 250°F.

3 In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, and salt; stir in molasses. Thin the mixture with about 1/2 cup of scalded milk, a few tablespoons at a time, then gradually add the mixture back to the large pot of scalded milk. Cook, stirring until thickened.

4 Temper the eggs by slowly adding a half cup of the hot milk cornmeal mixture to the beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back in with the hot milk cornmeal mixture, stir to combine. Stir in the sugar and spices, until smooth. At this point, if the mixture is clumpy, you can run it through a blender to smooth it out. Stir in the raisins (optional). Pour into a 2 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish. Bake for 2 hours at 250°F.

5 Allow the pudding to cool about an hour to be at its best. It should be reheated to warm temperature if it has been chilled. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Serves 8-10.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Remember my Thanksgiving last year? I read this thread over again and got quite a chuckle.

My Thanksgiving "blog" from last year

Haha, that's brilliant! I have to say, i'm glad i'm a vegitarian so no one will ever ask me to do that to a turkey! :D

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 27 Nov, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

What in the world is Indian pudding?????

well the whole book is strictly tongue-in-cheek, so I guess the Indian pudding/mince pie could be some very old fashioned thing no one eats anymore.

edit: I totally over-read the mince pie. that's very strange, I thought it was something strictly British?

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 5:23 PM