Travis

Re: Dear american boardies
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
I think they're the same, but yours are cut up a little more. Ours are usually the whole potato wedge. Some people leave the skin on, too.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
mmmm potatoes. Kayte and Kristy you are making me hungry. Back to the topic, I did my part as well. Let's hope it works and we don't have to start pronouncing aluminum the correct way. btw...how are we supposed to be saying it???

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Home fries:
http://a7.vox.com/6a00c225259fe3604a00e398d47bd70004-500pi

We have these potatoes here too. I've never known an official name for them though. Breakfast potatoes?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
meh, we call those homefries. Strictly a breakfast/1pm sunday afternoon not really breakfast time any more but you want breakfast food kinda a thing.

just found out that im at work until 8 tonight. Joy.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:25 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
mmmm potatoes. Kayte and Kristy you are making me hungry. Back to the topic, I did my part as well. Let's hope it works and we don't have to start pronouncing aluminum the correct way. btw...how are we supposed to be saying it???

hmmm i'm bad at spelling things phonetically....

al-you-min-yum... something along those lines...

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:

How do you say it? Cos I've never noticed it being said wrong before. Then again, I don't think people go around saying "aluminium" much. What I notice is the name Graham, do all Americans say "Gram"?

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:30 PM Quote
potatoes? For breakfast? Madness

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:35 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Yes, they say 5 syllables instead of 4. Sorta like
al-you-mini-um. The "u" is pronounced like "you" instead of just "oo" and there's a "mini" in the middle.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

is not! and im pretty sure i had potatoes for breakfast in your homeland. With blood pudding. Now that is madness. Any by "had blood pudding" i mean "took a teeny bite and then pushed off my plate."

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:44 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
[quote="Meridith"]

How do you say it? Cos I've never noticed it being said wrong before. Then again, I don't think people go around saying "aluminium" much. What I notice is the name Graham, do all Americans say "Gram"?

my friends brother is Graham and is not pleased when people call him Gram instead of Gray-um

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Moray wrote:

is not! and im pretty sure i had potatoes for breakfast in your homeland. With blood pudding. Now that is madness. Any by "had blood pudding" i mean "took a teeny bite and then pushed off my plate."

Potatoes are acceptable at any time of day.

Blood pudding? What kind of blood? Is that what vampires eat for their birthdays?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:56 PM Quote
the poor vampire that has to eat that!
It's cow or pig... Cant remember
and gross.
Haggis is okay, but its is amazing when compared to blood pudding.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_01/blackpuddingDM_228x304.jpg

While i was eating it, there was a homless man outside the restaurant who literally looked like he was out of a Dicken's novel. The hilarity of that instance will live with me forever. And also being really confused when the waitress asked me what kind of coffee i want. "umm, just regular coffee." Apperently she was looking for the answer "white" or "black"

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:01 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Here we say it a-loo-min-um. I think most Americans say Gram when saying Graham. We might draw out the "a" a little like Gra-am. At least that is how it is in my region of the country.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:

Here we say it a-loo-min-um. I think most Americans say Gram when saying Graham. We might draw out the "a" a little like Gra-am. At least that is how it is in my region of the country.

Yeah, I was watching The Holiday the other day and Cameron Diaz kept saying "Gram". I think "Gray-um", sounds much nicer. Probably just cos I'm used to it.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Yes, they say 5 syllables instead of 4. Sorta like
al-you-mini-um. The "u" is pronounced like "you" instead of just "oo" and there's a "mini" in the middle.

lol I nearly put in the i in, maybe it's my accent... we say it pretty much the same as the UK

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:48 PM