Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 3:47 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Today I was looking for something. Couldn't find it at all. Took R to school, came back, and looked again in the place it was supposed to be and there it was. Even though I had already looked. That's weird. I think I'm losing it.

what are those little things in Germanny called that rearrange your room at night ?

Burglars?

LOL!

I'm extremely happy today.
During the last dictatorship in Argentina, thousands of people were put in concentration camps and tortured, 30000 of them are still missing. The "desaparecidos". Well, the Armed Forces also kidnapped pregnant women, they kept them alive until their kid was born, then killed the mum and give the baby to another family. Sometimes they put the baby up for adoption, and quite often, they gave him/her to the family of a military man.
There's this organisation called Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo (Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo), who are looking for their grandchildren. They're really awesome.

Grandson number 101 was found a few days ago!
And turns out that this particular man (he must be 32 now, he had been "adopted" by an oppressor) has a dad that survived the genocide!! So he has not only found his real grandparents, but he has been able to meet his real father!! This is very rare. Usually both parents disappeared.
Anyway, I saw the name of the father on the newspaper today and burst into tears. I realised that the man who found his son is someone I interviewed for a paper about exile when I was 17; he had told us about what he'd been through, that his wife had disappeared when she was pregnant and that he was still looking for his son.
I CAN'T BELIEVE HE FINALLY FOUND HIS SON!!!
I'm totally overwhelmed. I'm so happy, after all he's been through. It's a miracle. :'o)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 3:53 PM Quote
Wow, Juli, that's really cool! You should call him up or write him a letter or something!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 3:58 PM Quote
wow, that's pretty amazing Juli!
And I'm with Kayte, send him a letter. I think it will mean a lot to him that you still remember him enough to say something.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:01 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Wow, Juli, that's really cool! You should call him up or write him a letter or something!

I thought about it, even if there's no way he'll remember me. I was just a teenager interviewing him for a school project (a project I came up with). But still, maybe I will. That interview really left a mark on me. And it was like my first sociology experience, even if I didn't know at the time. And now I'm about to become a sociologist, I'm still working on human rights and genocide... and he was not only the first person I ever interviewed but the first genocide survivor I ever talked to.
I'll see if I can get his email or something. But he probably won't even read it, he doesn't know who I am. :oP
Still I'm extremely happy for him.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:09 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I thought about it, even if there's no way he'll remember me. I was just a teenager interviewing him for a school project (a project I came up with). But still, maybe I will. That interview really left a mark on me. And it was like my first sociology experience, even if I didn't know at the time. And now I'm about to become a sociologist, I'm still working on human rights and genocide... and he was not only the first person I ever interviewed but the first genocide survivor I ever talked to.
I'll see if I can get his email or something. But he probably won't even read it, he doesn't know who I am. :oP

You never know what he remembers or doesn't. And even if he doesn't the fact that he made an impression you will mean something to him.

That is so amazing!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:20 PM Quote
Juli, what an amazing story. I can't imagine how their family feels now. Totally overwhelmed, I bet!

Edel
Edel Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:59 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

You never know what he remembers or doesn't. And even if he doesn't the fact that he made an impression you will mean something to him.

That is so amazing!

What she said:0)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 5:44 PM Quote
Thanks for encouraging me guys, I'm looking for his email, I think I'm going to do it. :o)
They gave a press conference today: father, son and the president of Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo. I couldn't watch it because I'm at work, but apparently the man who raised the kid was a murderer, a thief and an abusive and violent father and husband. He spent 10 years in jail for murdering a family in 1994, and now he's been arrested again, because they feared for the life of the son and his biological family.
So now the real father and his son are extremely happy. This is great. Sometimes when people finally know their real identity, they refuse to accept it and don't want to have anything to do with their biological family. It's a very complicated situation.
But in this case (and most others), everyone is joyful. I read that when they met for the first time, the son hugged his father and told him "they couldn't do it". Meaning, they failed to keep them appart. I'm so touched!!!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 5:57 PM Quote
how do you only spend 10 years in jail for murdering a family?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 23 Feb, 2010 6:25 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
how do you only spend 10 years in jail for murdering a family?

He was involved in the murder, but they couldn't prove he did it. Two other men were convicted for life. They gave him 10 years because they proved he had stolen a car and had illegal "weapons of war" (sorry, I don't have enough vocabulary in English to explain this xD), so he was a part of a criminal gang.

EDIT: I just found there's a tiny article about it and a pic of father and son here. However, I can't believe they're calling a genocide "dirty war"... "Dirty war" is what the Armed Forces called it. Rubbish. It was a genocide.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 27 Feb, 2010 9:17 PM Quote
I decided to take a little leap and start an Etsy page with some of my photos. Check check check, check it out:
www.etsy.com/shop/minnmess *

*self promotion makes me feel exceptionally awkward. That's part of the leap!

dee
dee Posted Sat 27 Feb, 2010 9:58 PM Quote
so confusing.i got a text from a friend who i haven't seen in ages saying that they have heard from more than one source that i have been talking shit about them.
i hate chinese whispers.where do you even begin to sort things out?

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 03 Mar, 2010 2:24 PM Quote
I've changed my mind.

I DON'T want Munich to host the winter Olympics 2018!!

The Olympic village would be built next to the Olympic park from 1972 - right now, there's a small animal-farm (which is actually a part of the university's veterinarian faculty) that would have to go for the new buildings. they got a wild boar and horses and sheep! the sheep!... and a small chapel. hrmph. unfortunately, the city of Munich has already bought the ground, so they'll probably build something new on it anyway ... :|

and:
I'm soooo going to fail my next two exams :'(

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 03 Mar, 2010 2:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I decided to take a little leap and start an Etsy page with some of my photos. Check check check, check it out:

I fowarded that to Stephen Harpers staff

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 03 Mar, 2010 6:16 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I fowarded that to Stephen Harpers staff

LOL
Ric you crack me up !

Pages Previous 1...128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:40 PM