Thursday, October 14, 2004
Mean Fiddler, London, UK

Support: Magic Numbers
View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 88 Upload Photo

Reviews: 12 Post Review
Travis Rocker Posted: 15-10-04 12:52
Well im lost for words on this show. i'll never forget it!! my day started by getting the train into london from reading arriving at paddington at around 1130am then it was onto leicester square after checking the board to see where the band would b busking. met sara anna, steph, tonie and a few other peeps. so we were waiting about for abt 30 mins then we saw the guys arrive so we ran over n walked with them to where they were busking n stayed n heard the whole thing it weas so cool!! managed to get pictures with Andy, Dougie and Neil after the busk thanks guys!! for taking the time to sign autographs n have pictures taken with the fans i'll never forget today. After the busk it was on to the gig venue The Mean Fiddler we arrived at 325pm n bumped into Andy and Neil outside the venue, Neil told us that thje busk raised about 500GBP which i said was very good indeed. I wonder wot CDS Neil had in his Virgin Bag for the aftershow party hehe!!! so after wating for about 3hrs and a half the doors finally opened yay!! so we all went inside despite getting lost tho!! inside we eventually found the front of the stage and took up our positions i was infront of Dougie this time!!! the gig was excellent another great mix of songs i Loved WITS hearing that for the 1st time!!! LIVE YAY!! I thought THE MAGIC NUMBERS were excellent too they have some great songs!!!! espically loved The Weight wen the MAGIC NUMBERS came back on stage!!! Fantastic Gig Travis another great 1 tonite!! YOU ROCK!!! cant wait for the next time!!!! Fran was really funny too again. Dougie sang All The Young Dudes magnificantly!! sounded great Thanks Travis!!!!!!!
raven798 Posted: 15-10-04 10:18
My plan for going early went out the window so we travelled up from southampton right on time to see Travis walk onstage. Great gig, great little club. Highlights were: Turn (as always) , Andy and Fran climbing on the pillars and Andy letting a guy on the balcony contribute to All I Wanna Do Is Rock solo, Chris Moyles popped on stage to hand Dougie his guitar at the end, duet of The Weight with the Magic Numbers (I love that song!)...and great to hear the Good Feeling songs again.. Got lots of little vid clips on my camera too :o) Cheers , Ryan.
Arwen Posted: 15-10-04 1:23
Sorry - its only a review of the busk!

Short version:
What a great day! Saw the guys busking, got all their autographs and photos with Fran and Dougie.
Thanks guys ? you were great!

Long version:
Well I thought it was going to be a bummer of a day.
Firstly I don?t have a PC at home so had to go to an internet caf? to come onto the messageboard to find out when/where they were playing after my morning duties. Had to try 3 PCs before I found one that let me onto the site and the messageboard (stupid cheap caf? that it was!).
I found at 12.40 that they were playing in Leicester Sq at about 1pm. So ran to get changed and waited at the bus stop for the 159.
Would it come?! Would it ever! I didn?t get it til 1.05pm and thought well I?m definitely going to miss them but if I don?t go I will always wonder ?what if?. I thought it would another of those ?so near yet so far moments?. So made my way up to town. Finally arrived at 1.45 and thought ? yep definitely going to have missed them, but lo! there they were. I got to hear 2 songs ? I was absolutely stoked!
I thought the crowd would be bigger, but I didn?t mind that.
Then afterwards they carried on collecting money for the Big Issue and signed autographs galore. I?d taken my Man Who CD cover and got them all to sign on their respective pictures.
I was really impressed how they took an interest in everyone: what?s your name, where you from, etc etc. Such nice, down to earth guys. (made my feel like a giddy little school again).
Thank you Neil, Andy, Dougie and Fran for signing my CD covers ? you really made my day/week/month/year! And thank you Dougie and Fran for the photos I was able to take with you (just hope they come out ok!)

What a day! Only wish I could have gone to the gig in the evening.
Tonie Posted: 15-10-04 1:44
I considered the busk an integral part of the gig experience, even though it was a public show for charity. So I'll start by saying that the busk was great. It's a treat to see your favourite band at such close quarters, and they really delivered the goods, with music and chat. Also, they were so approachable afterwards - how often can that be said of a band? The busk was hugely successful in terms of the money raised for the homeless.

Onto the evening: this was a rollercoaster ride through the history of Travis, a blend of old and new, fast and slow.

From the point of view of the main setlist, I was singing along with the best of them, enjoying the familiarity of songs I know and love. Every track was a pleasure, and each a highlight in its own right. And it was good to hear Fran's narratives to selected numbers.

The encores were exciting, as I was one of the many who had submitted a vote to pick them. I can honestly say that listening to "Twenty" had me welling up. Fran was directly in front of me at this point (and I was literally at the front). The audience was completely still and silent, captive to Fran's voice, and the emotion of the song. Forgive me if that sounds cheesy, but it was such a highlight and it deserves special mention.

Magic Numbers were great, and deserve every success. They, and Travis, and the audience had a great time with the joint rendition of "the Weight", during the encores.

It was a wonderful day and evening for a Travis fan like me. It's the next afternoon now, and I'm still on a high. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next set of dates.

See you soon, and thank you!
charlie p Posted: 15-10-04 1:57
okay ed - i said i'd review the show and here goes...

fuck me it was a good one! great to see and hear them in a small room. highlights were "rock "(always a tear in the eye moment), "beautiful occupation" (helen thinks this is fran's tour de force), "twenty" (a personal favourite)and of course "the weight" with extra "numbers" on stage (who are, by the way "the best british band since travis").

a very special night ... as always it's about great songs, honesty ... letting go.

until the next time.

paulsammon Posted: 15-10-04 6:54
This was a gig I've been looking forward to for a while. It's not often you get to see a popular band like Travis in such an intimate environment, where you can get close to the front easily, and not have to queue for 2 hours for the 'loos!... I was lucky enough to arrive early and get a balcony spot, level with the stage, right at the very front.

They didn't disappoint, Travis's connection with crowd was unsurpassable and the love for the fans, and the enjoyment in their own music was very clear.

Starting with "Sing" in traditional style, with Andy Dunlop on the Banjo, they instantly roused the fiddler crowd with a performance that shows how professional they have become, and how much they've grown as a band. Indeed, the London crowd were to be treated to a very tight performance of Travis's 16 top 40 hits this evening, and every song had warmth, power, and solid, clear vocals from Healey.

Throughout the show Healy shared anecdotes with the crowd, proving that he's more than just a rock-star, he absolutely radiates warmth and personality along with a mutual respect for his audience. At one point he even ordered water for the people in the front row!

Travis rattled through their repertoire like they'd been doing it for 20 years, highlights for me were getting a close-up of Andy's guitar as he stood on the speaker by the balcony right in front of me with his guitar behind his head during "All I want to do is Rock". A refreshing change was the addition of "Tied to the 90's? which they don't tend to play live that much anymore but is still one of their best 'rockier' songs. Fran Did an acoustic solo of "Flowers in the Window", and all of the big classics, "Turn" and the sing-along "W.D.I.A.R.O.M" (as the set list called it) were all well received by a west-end crowd who were clearly enjoying the experience. Even the new 'baby' "walking in the sun" had people bopping with its catchiness and charm. They twinkled through, "Driftwood" and "beautiful occupation?, and a couple of my personal favorites "Re-offender" and "Side" were executed with perfection.

I must make a special mention of the Encore, Healy mentioned that his soundman had food poisoning, but was still kind enough to do the gig, so he allowed him to put his feet up for one song..... He hushed the crowd, switched off the P.A. and speakers and sang "20?, a beautiful Scottish-sounding ballad, off of his own steam.... his voice filled the room, breathtaking! If ever there was a defining moment in a concert, it was when the crowd broke their silence at the end of this song to roar appreciation for a true talent who has just "busked" to a large room containing 1000 people!

There were three covers, including one that showed Britney Spears how she should have sung "one more time? and a very respectable version of "all the young dudes" done justice by Bassist Dougie Payne on vocals. Finally they bought MAGIC NUMBERS (the guest act, who were none too shabby themselves) back on for a duet of "The Weight" by 'The Band', again, you could see how much they were all enjoying themselves. I'm not sure I would have chosen "Blue flashing light" to finish on, but it was a good, loud song to round things off.

Travis really should do more concerts like this; seldom do bands have inner qualities such as those that make them busk for charity before a gig. Travis's glowing, life-affirming attitude to music really suited a venue of this size and it made for a very special evening that everyone will remember for a very long time.

Stefany Posted: 15-10-04 10:08
Oh....my....god

Where the hell should i start??????
Ok well i missed the busking coz i was stuck in school but as soon as the bell rang i ran out and was up in tottenham court road asap. So it was me (stephanie) and my friends hana and kat. We started queuing at about 4.45 ish and it was like shit pouring it down but who cares when you know what's waiting for you inside. We saw Fran, Dougie and Neil leave through the back door but it was too late for us to run and get a picture. Ah well life goes on............

Well, we met some really nice people in the queue; a really nice girl and this lady from New York. So if you guys read this then HI!!! yeh we all made an umbrella "canopy"

Sooo back to the story, yeh i was surprised how small the venue was, i hadnt been to the mean fiddler before but it was great coz we managed 2 get to the front. The Magic Numbers were an AMAZING support and it was a great 45 mins. My friend Kat abosolutely loved them...gd stuff gd stuff.
WE could see Travis watchin Magic Nos perform and it was really sweet coz they knew all the words and shows that they are really cool and nice people.

Travis took to the stage with sing, a great opening. I had met Fran in the summer and he glanced at me and then glanced back and smiled at me!!! Hope he remembers how cool i am..... Yeh but the songs were amazing and in All i wana do is rock both Fran and Andy got on the Amps and played, we were near Fran and we got some great pics of that. Tied to the nineties was the song i had really been looking forward to; one of the best Travis songs to date. Fran's flowers in the window was great and i saw Andy watchin from the back so i waved and he saluted me back. Me and my friends were calling Neil alot because he is totally the best drummer ever!!! and he gave us the thumbs up. Thanks for the great vocals on Turn dougie, great to hear you sing. Also i was standing at the front bar inbetween Fran and Dougie and dougie was such a poser in the pics, Fran was great with the audience and i feel like we made them feel welcome playing here and we will always welcome them with open arms. Dougie kept on smiling at me and he pointed at me and said something when Fran was talking about the encores just before all the young dudes song. Dougie once again was bloody brilliant singing and i was like WOW i love dougie.
Yeh also, dougie threw his pick and it bounced off the bar and landed on the floor infront of the stage but im a determined person and im quite short but that didnt stop me so i jumped up and lent rite over with my head down and I GOT IT!!!!!! OMG!!!! thanks dougie.

Also hana cought frans pick and we were like WOW our luck and then we both cought the song list and were fighting for it but then realised it was only us two that were holding it so we were like phew and we gave it to Kat as a present. I was soo pleased when they sang hit me baby one more time, total comedy, good job guys. And i was totally blown away by blue flashing lights. i had my fingers crossed that they would play that. Fran you are BLOODY AMAZING singer and dont ever stop!!! Dougie i just luv u ...Andy you had such great stage presence and really know how to get the crowd going. And neil..wot can i say other than you are the best drummer ever and are sooo sweet

This was the best night of my life and the best gig i hav ever been to EVER. The atomosphere was great, the performance was great and the guys were great fun.
Please please come and play at the mean fiddler again, it's possibly the best place Travis could play as its sooo personal and when i got home i cried, i couldnt believe it. Travis are amazing and have inspired people like me to learn and persevere with music and ALL I WANA DO IS ROCK!!!!

FOREVER A TRAVIS FAN......Stephanie
georgia Posted: 16-10-04 2:04
Well not much I can add to all that, everyone pretty much felt the same way I did!

Best song for me was Happy because it was so much fun just jumping up and down waving my arms like a mad thing and singing along, and I swear Dougie was laughing at me at that point. (Don't blame him!)

They really are the most personable, down to earth band in the world and that's why all their fans love them so much. That and the emotion they can inspire into their songs (eg Turn and Twenty, which very nearly made me cry, it was stunning, 1000 people just listening, not making a sound!)

Magic numbers were awesome, encore amazing (wished they'd played MONKEYS though!) But no one hugged Neil at the end after The Weight, he was sitting all alone! Such is a drummer's luck I suppose.

Well looks like I actually did have stuff to add! And HI STEPHANIE! I'm the girl you three met in the queue! Was cool talking to you!
Kezdunlop Posted: 17-10-04 6:36
What a fantastic day! The busk was so brilliant! I met all the guys and had my photo taken with Neil! Later on I saw Andy and Neil in Virgins too!

The gig was definitely the best I have ever been to! The highlights for me were 'Happy' and 'Tied to the 90's'! Fran singing '20' without a microphone was also superb!

Travis totally rocked and I can't believe how much energy they put into a performance!

It was the best day of my life and I can't wait for the next tour!

Luv kez xxx
Keelan Posted: 18-10-04 4:23
What a gig! There is so much to talk about. So many highlights. Well first of all the set list was absolutely brilliant with all the 17 singles so far being performed. The first was "Sing" and ended with "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?". The new single "Walking In The Sun" was fantastic. It was also great to hear old songs like "Coming Around" and "Tied To The 90'S".

The encore was brilliant. "20" was performed by Fran on his own with no microphone or amps. Everyone was quiet this time showing the respect that he deserved. Great covers of "Baby One More Time" and "All The Young Dudes" (performed brilliantly by Dougie) were performed after "20". The last song of the night was pure class with The Magic Numbers coming on and performing "The Weight" (my favourite B-side) with Travis. The Magic Numbers were great also, with their eight songs being all brilliant.

Travis were really up for this one, as always. They were constantly talking to the crowd. Fran recieved some underwear with 4FH on and Neil then put them on his head which was really funny. Also when Andy and Fran were on the side amps during "All I Want To Do Is Rock" that was great with Andy letting someone at the top play his guitar. Also during this song Fran changed a lyric to 'MET A GIRL IN LONDON, TALKED LIKE PAT FROM EASTENDERS' which was really funny.

In such a small venue it was really a one off chance to see them live up close. I was standing on Andy's side on the front row and he looked in my direction constantly. Fran also threw a water bottle in the same direction which went to the group of girls next to me.

The only slight disappointment for me is that I had to leave early so I missed Travis announce the busking earnings. All together a supreme night with great live music. A chance for me not to miss. Can't wait to see them in London again. Best night ever!
mihalis Posted: 21-10-04 10:00
Was a brilliant gig, such a relief to be able to stand at the front with room to breath after the time spent at Reading. This was my second time seeing Travis, and better than last time (Brixton last year), the music was great, I love the songs from Good Feeling which rarely get played now. Also Mean Fiddler is such a small venue, I thought Brixton was small for Travis so I was amased when these gigs were anounced!! My favourite moment was probably Fran singing "20" with no PA, just him singing and strumming along.
lozm Posted: 11-12-04 9:09
I had been looking forward to seeing Travis for the first time ever since I got the tickets for the gig.

I was really impressed with Magic Numbers and ever since I have been trying to find out where I can get their music and if they have a website etc, no luck though. I remember the show started with Sing and that really got the crowd going. Sing was one of the songs I recorded on to my mobile phone and I was singing along and it made me realise what a bad singer I am, oh well. Throughout the gig I was positive Fran looking and smiling at me.

I have some amazing photos on my phone of Fran, Dougie and Andy, especially one of Fran when he jumped onto one of the speakers during The Beautiful Occupation. Also I managed to film WDIAROM?, Flowers in the Window and Baby one More Time.

When you did "the new member of the family" Walking in the Sun I was really happy because I'd Been listening to it on the radio and the Travis website and I was so glad to hear it live. Other songs that stuck in my mind were Happy, Love Will Come Through, Blue Flashing Lights, Tied to the Nineties (I was singing along the "HEY's") and Turn. I especially love Turn when Dougie sings a verse.

The Mean Fiddler gig was the greatest night of my life and worth every last penny. Thanks for a great night guys.

Setlist:
Sing
Tied to the 90's
U16 Girls
Writing to Reach You
Re-Offender
Walking In The Sun
Love Will Come Through
All I Wannt Do Is Rock
Beautiful Occupation
Side
Driftwood
Coming Around
More Than Us
Flowers In The Window
Happy
Turn
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Baby One More Time
All The Young Dudes
The Weight (with guests - Magic Numbers)
Blue Flashing Light
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
09 Hopetoun House, Edinburgh, UK 
03 YouFM Studio Concert, Frankfurt, DE 
November
19 Stirling Castle, Stirling, UK 
09 Luz De Gas, Barcelona, ES 
08 Chesterfield Caf, Madrid, ES 
04 Hanbury Arms, Brighton, UK 
October