Travis

Saturday, March 27, 2004
Dome, Doncaster, UK

Support: Keane
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 10 Upload Photo

Reviews: 4 Post Review
Fran Posted: 02-09-04 1:27
We drove past a horse race today on our way to the gig. Doncaster is famous for horse racing. The horses were going at an alarming rate. I?d never seen a horse running at full speed in front of me before. It?s a fast animal.

The jockeys are tiny men too. Horses like eating polo mints. It helps their bad breath, which they are quite sensitive about. Always carry a packet of Polos incase you are attacked by a horse.

Met some nice fans outside the venue, then soundchecked. We played here before with The Doves. Before we went on stage, we were joined by Chris Moyles? mum, Vera and his dad and some family friends. Vera is a cracker. Chris hosts the breakfast show on Radio 1 with comedy Dave.

We first met his mum at a show in Leeds in 2001. She always comes to see us when she can, the last time being in Cardiff at the Radio1 roadshow. She got Tony Blairs' son, Ewan, to stand side of stage at that show because security were arsey with him, and wouldn?t let him past.

Tonight?s crowd were great, really receptive. I dedicated Flowers In The Window to Vera. We did a runner after the show tonight and I slept in my own bed. London tomorrow. Ooooooooh!!
Dingbat Posted: 02-10-04 2:42
We'd been looking forward to the gig all day and finally, Simon, Alex, Shelly, Cat and I all piled into the huge long queue that was the Dome. Al and I bought 12 Memories T-Shirts, and of course immediately put 'em on. The shirt has since become my 'gig' shirt.

We were waiting around for about an hour before we got any music. Then Keane came on, and they were magnificent. That gig alone ensured that I was going to buy their album. Well worth it. Their rendition of We Might As Well Be Strangers was classic.

Then another hour passed and finally, Travis walked onto the stage, bursting into life with "Happy to Hang Around". Halfway through "Beautiful Occupation", someone fainted and Fran actually stopped the show! This also happened later on.

The most amazing part of the night was when Fran got unplugged and sang "Flowers in the Window". Hearing 4,000 people sing along was incredible. Also, I managed to jump around to "Happy" and, bizarrely, I somehow managed to get jumping to "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?".

Slight downers were the fact it took Fran about 5mins to get everyone to shush for Flowers, and, if I'm honest, "Back in Black". It's too dissimilar to Travis' music. If I'd been planning, they should've finished with "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?".

All in all though, a great gig. Well worth the money, and well worth the trip. Come back to Doncaster soon guys!

10/10 - Better than the Sheffield Arena one two years ago.

DB@
Ruudio Posted: 10-10-04 1:23
My third Travis gig and yet so different from the other two due to the small venue! It was the second time I'd managed to get up to the barrier for their gigs and I was stood right in front of Andy! Got some amazing pictures from the night and I will have to upload them when I get a new scanner! I loved the encore set and Fran's accoustic Flowers In The Window was lovely! Thought Back In Black was a weird way to finish, but I still left the gig on a major high and I was buzzing for a few days after!
tinysalmon Posted: 12-10-04 5:03
We were so looking forwards to this show cause the last time we (me and Russ) saw Travis was at Glastonbury! I'd never really heard of Keane until a few weeks before this show and I must say that they're probaby the best support band I've ever seen. Every tune blew me away.

Travis were excellent. They put on such a great show. Not only are they excellent musicians, but they are great entertainers too!

After the show, me and Russ tried to get into a bar in Donny, but because I was wearing white trainers, nobody would let me in. We couldn't even find a night club.

In the end, after much serching, we ended up in the Tut 'n' Shive, which is probably the roughest bar I've ever been in. Practically everybody was fighting!!! Shattered glass everywhere!

"Let's fight!" one would say
"Them's fightin' words!" the other would respond.

After waiting for a taxi (for about 40 minutes), we went back to Thurnscoe where Russ made a curry which was delious!
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
09 Hopetoun House, Edinburgh, UK 
03 YouFM Studio Concert, Frankfurt, DE 
November
19 Stirling Castle, Stirling, UK 
09 Luz De Gas, Barcelona, ES 
08 Chesterfield Caf, Madrid, ES 
04 Hanbury Arms, Brighton, UK 
October
29 Virgin Radio, London, UK